Subject: Blackout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommi Vainio
Finland
Alajärvi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked this game from the database but i couldn't find it. So i tought to write my first review.

Blackout is a word game from Alga. It was released in Finland 1992. The gameplay is very simple. Throw dice to get a topic(1-6) from the cards. Start the timer and try to come up with:
- as many words, (starting with different letters) as possible from the topic the player just got
- in the given time.

For example player throws number two with dice. The opponent picks a card and reads the topic wich can be for example: "What's in the ocean?" Then the player who read the topic starts the timer. The other player starts by saying: fish and then he covers the letter F in his/her's gameboard. Second word is dolphin and letter D is covered and so on.

The first player to cover all of his letters wins.

The rules are really simple and the thing in this game is to be quick. Some topics are easy and some are not. Or would you call "Russian Emperors" easy? In the same time your topic could also be "Colors"

In the beginning of the game it's lot more easier to cover the letters because all the "easy" letters are still available. During the game fewer letters are available and it's not so easy to say a color starting with letter X or Z. And all the time the timer is ticking.

This is not a gamers game. The topics are more or less unequal. You could get lucky or not. Sometimes you get these instead of the topic:
- Change the gameboard with the player to the right.
Or
- Cover three letters in your gameboard and so on.

If a word the player said does not satisfy. The opponent can use "veto" to terminate some words if they are not decent or not linked to the subject.

But still - Blackout is light, fun, annoying and fast game. It's not a game to play over and over again. In the right companion it'll be great. I quess gamers who are into word-games will like this one too. If you can accept a bit (sometimes a lot) randomness and luck Blackout will be fun at least a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.