Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it posted in some other forums but the conversation fizzled in favor of the OP topic. So I'd like to get others opinions...

For those who don't know. Hasbro has the rights to "Star Wars board games" so FFG is not able to do the distribution of Imperial Assault themselves. Personally this has caused problems because I have credit on FFG's website and was going to get it from them. My FLGS owner predicted that this game will not be going in a year because FFG will not want to continue dealing with the Hasbro BS.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG have classified this game as a miniatures game, I assume to try and circumvent this nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
sgwestrip wrote:
FFG have classified this game as a miniatures game, I assume to try and circumvent this nonsense.
Yeah, it does seem like they tried, but I fear their efforts failed. Hopefully they're still fighting the good fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is there any more information on this? Is there an original source you can show?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
It hasn't stopped an iota of distribution to retailers, both online or FLGS. For that matter, the Hasbro distribution will mean this game will probably be seen in places like Barnes & Noble and Target as well. As publisher, FFG will see the money finding its way back into their pockets, even if they can't directly distribute it. I see them milking it for all its worth and don't see it dying out any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Where is there any more information on this? Is there an original source you can show?
In an email response I got from FantasyFlightGames.
Quote:
I’m sorry to say that due to an agreement that we have with Hasbro owning the rights to Star Wars board games in North America, that we can not sell Imperial Assault on our website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note, my FLGS owner said that they were charged more per unit after they found out Hasbro was involved. More middle men means higher cost to the end user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:
In an email response I got from FantasyFlightGames.
Quote:
I’m sorry to say that due to an agreement that we have with Hasbro owning the rights to Star Wars board games in North America, that we can not sell Imperial Assault on our website.

Gotcha - but yeah - like the others have said. I don't think it will make much of a difference in the long run. It will still sell like crazy - it will just cost consumers a little more than it normally would have unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
It hasn't stopped an iota of distribution to retailers, both online or FLGS. For that matter, the Hasbro distribution will mean this game will probably be seen in places like Barnes & Noble and Target as well. As publisher, FFG will see the money finding its way back into their pockets, even if they can't directly distribute it. I see them milking it for all its worth and don't see it dying out any time soon.

FFG games were already available at both of those locations. Target carried the X-Wing core set as well as two or three smaller board/card games. B&N carries all of the X-Wing stuff, a couple of FFG's larger board games, and some of FFG's game supplies too. (card sleeves, deck boxes, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I think it is a legitimate concern. I suppose we can just hope that demand is high enough and FFG makes enough money for it to be worth the hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI's Imperial Assault price went up about $7 about the time we heard of the distribution change. I had assumed that is the increase due to Hasbro's pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market or one of the other game shops I follow on fb also mentioned that due to the Hasbro claim the pricing on the expansion figure sets had also increased by as much as 50%. They later deleted the post. Hopefully this doesn't affect the way FFG is able to develop and release expansion content. (Though personally I have little interest in the lieutenant packs.)

What is the practical benefit of only distributing games through Hasbro's distribution channels - audit rights?

Bottom line, I'm happy the parties were able to come to an agreement and that the game was released! May it do well enough to make Disney, FFG and Hasbro enough money to keep the product line alive. I presume the alternative was a messy lawsuit with the game dying; FFG spending whatever money they won from Disney on lawyer fees; a ruined FFG/Disney relationship; and a limited stream of crappy Star Wars boardgames from Hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all baseless speculation. My FLGS is still charging the listed MSRP back when it was announced. The box says Disney and they make all the decisions on IP and rights. We have not heard the faintest fart of issues from Hasbro and to suggest we have without a legitimate source is nothing short of asinine rumormongering. To quote the princess:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
kelann08 wrote:
This is all baseless speculation. My FLGS is still charging the listed MSRP back when it was announced. The box says Disney and they make all the decisions on IP and rights. We have not heard the faintest fart of issues from Hasbro and to suggest we have without a legitimate source is nothing short of asinine rumormongering. To quote the princess:

+1

I love how everyone pretends they know what legal agreements were struck between FFG and Disney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without legitimate source? My FLGS owner saying they are getting charged more per copy is not a good source? Sure they are still charging me the same amount, but they are getting less every time I purchase it. The store is less incentivised to have stock and push the game.

FFG cannot sell their own game and I got that from an FFG employee. Sounds like a good source to me.

CoolStuff and other sites had to charge more right after the Hasbro announcement. Less strong, but still evidence that the cost from the distributor is higher.

You must be insane to think that there is zero effect. Perhaps it won't have a huge effect on the end consumer, but I don't see any good coming from this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The quote from the ffg said the Hasbro claim only affected north America.
IA is on sale through the websites of other members of the asmodee group not based in America.

There may be enough international sales to offset the Hasbro effect and keep this game alive for years.

The price I'm paying for the expansions in the UK certainly doesn't have a 50% mark up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Without legitimate source? My FLGS owner saying they are getting charged more per copy is not a good source? Sure they are still charging me the same amount, but they are getting less every time I purchase it. The store is less incentivised to have stock and push the game.

Distributors charging more could be indicative of 100 different things completely unrelated to legal issues. I also don't consider your FLGS owner an authority on legal matters or the inner workings of Hasbro/FFG/Disney. No offense to him, I have no doubt he's a good guy (you have to be to run a game store in this economy) but he's one step closr to the knowledge than we are there's about 50 more steps between him and fact.

killerardvark wrote:
FFG cannot sell their own game and I got that from an FFG employee. Sounds like a good source to me.

I find that response dubious considering how tight-lipped FFG is about anything at all. Regardless, this is not uncommon. No one but Games Workshop is allowed to sell GW products in an online marketplace.

killerardvark wrote:
CoolStuff and other sites had to charge more right after the Hasbro announcement. Less strong, but still evidence that the cost from the distributor is higher.

What Hasbro announcement? This would be a good thing to link here. Was it a press release? On their website? Or is it something that someone said here, on the forums, that they heard from someone else?

killerardvark wrote:
You must be insane to think that there is zero effect. Perhaps it won't have a huge effect on the end consumer, but I don't see any good coming from this situation.

What did I say regarding an affect that makes me insane? Your "sources" are speculative and 100% conjecture. Even your FLGS owner, via you in your OP, "predicted" this whole thing. Where is your definitive source that we can refer to? Actual factual information. Links would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sgwestrip wrote:

FFG screwed up. Right on the back of the box it says, "Imperial Assault is an epic adventure board game."

They are going to have a tough time trying to unring that bell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna develop a board game based on this thread titled Conjecture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
I'm gonna develop a board game based on this thread titled Conjecture.

Welcome to the internet. As you start to explore it further you will find stuff just like this everywhere. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Tom - They could call it a miniatures game, a war game, or a t-shirt if they wanted to, and Hasbro still would have had a claim. Granted, having Descent 2ed classified as a board game and FFG calling IA it a boardgame on the back of the box wouldn't help their claim any. Regardless, I would think the fault lies with some account exec at Disney who either didn't do their due diligence or thought they could sneak one by Hasbro.

Alternatively FFG could be at fault if they misrepresented to Disney what the product was. Seems odd they'd risk damage such a huge (for them) licensing relationship though.

Note - I find it kind of hilarious that this rampant internet speculation is making some people so upset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowcat99 wrote:
sounds like the only issue was a change in distribution which caused a short delay in the US release and a couple dollar increase (from the online retailers) that was passed on the consumer. All future releases will follow this method and pricing and most people wont even notice anything different.

Indeed. The MSRP didn't increase on this game. However, the distribution price seems to have gone up. Because online discounts are so closely based on the distribution price, the price the OLGSs are charging increased. People buying from an OLGS will end up paying more than they otherwise would have. People buying from an FLGS are unlikely to notice any difference (though the FLGS will make a little less in margin on this than other FFG products). It is unlikely to spell the doom of the entire product line or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a crock of malarkey.

Would Hasbro have right to owning a miniatures game as well with the star wars miniature game?

Legal stuff sucks. whistle

Would Disney have any influence on this matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, how long is FFG deal to hold onto the star wars license?

They picked up the licence a year before the Mouse bought them.

Disney just signed a new partnership with Hasbro though 2020. If the FFG licence ends prior to that, Can't help but assume Hasbro would want all those rights back when they lost them in 2011.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I find it hard to believe that none of this was settled long ago. It seems crazy that ffg cane up with the concept, play tested, made prototypes, and then went into production without ever checking if it was legal or part of their license.

My guess would be that Hasbro and ffg came to agreements on this well before it was ever announced, but the Internet decided to imagine and create problems to fill in the time until launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.