jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this list is awesome and reminds me why the UN is such a mess and needs to be replaced.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/unwatch/top-10-worst-un-decisions-of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
replaced with what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
9. U.N. Elects Elects New Human Rights Council Members: China, Russia, Cuba and Saudi Arabia

Good. Now that those countries have joined the USA on the UNHRC, maybe they can finally get a joint statement out that torture is not actually a human rights violation, as long as you do it to "bad guys".

From the UNHRC website:
Quote:
“All victims of human rights abuses should be able to look to the Human Rights Council as a forum and a springboard for action.”
- Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 12 March 2007, Opening of the 4th Human Rights Council Session

They certainly are able to look. With trepidation.

DrWhoWho wrote:
replaced with what?

They should be replaced by the Trollumvirate, a group of RSP kooks headed by you and the Zeitgeist dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
this list is awesome and reminds me why the UN is such a mess and needs to be replaced.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/unwatch/top-10-worst-un-decisions-of...

The quality of the UN can never exceed the average quality of government of its members. And lets face it ... A lot of countries have got high levels of corruption, mismanagement and abuse of power, are not democratic and often plagued by internal struggles. Sometimes I believe the UN is the FIFA in big.

I believe the UN has achieved tremendous results in various fields. But for too many countries the UN is a platform for dubious politics. They use it to substract their own population from internal affairs.

Furthermore I believe we should get rid of the veto right in the long run. The time isn't ready for it yet, but it should be discussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot say that this BuzzFeed-article is the result of well-informed, depth-going and thorough journalism. The facts are represented rather single-sided and shallow. Does BuzzFeed have one or more overlords of the dubious kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The stats on List of 2014 UN Condemnations a little lower than halfway the page is fascinating.

Lets assume the figures are true and that a thing as UN Condemnation is something that really exist and has legal meaning. Now keep the veto right in mind and that a definition of politics is a focus on something that can be achieved. In other words you are not going to spend energy on unreachable goals; no Don Quichotting! Before I start I want to make clear that my plea is not about pro- or anti-Israel. I am pointing and looking at someone now!

Please walk with me:
* The Ukraine/Crimea crisis is the most serious event of 2014. A threat to all mankind in my view. No Condemnations because of vetoright Russia.
* Then Syria. Again it is Russia and to a lesser extend China with a vetoright. A miracle that there is one.
* Only 1 for Iran. Fair enough, but is backed by Russia.
* Also 1 for North-Korea. In China they can't be too happy about them. But hey, have you noticed the shift towards Russia the last months. Again a limited number of condemnations.
* Then Israel, traditionally backed by the USA. Then why 20 Condemnations? Maybe the condemnations have no factual meaning. But I believe the USA uses the vetoright wisely with care and that proves their integrity!

This was also my conclusion of de WikiLeaks affair, although not everything was right. If the affair had also taken place in China and Russia I am pretty sure the whole world could see after comparisson that the USA isn't that bad after all.

Last note: the situation is improving in China slowly and step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.