Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Just one quick question concerning the Tunnels card and those similar; when do you pay money to lay rails? The rulebook says you take the actions on a card in order, so do you pay to lay track when you do as part of the first action, or or at the end once the "until the end of turn" effect kicks in?

For example, I have Tunnels and a Lay Rails card in my hand but no money, and wish to go through the mountains. Am I OK to use Tunnels to lay in the mountains, because it would be free and then use the Lay Rails card to do the same? Or would I need to use Tunnels to lay track on the plain, because the I would still need to pay initially, and then use the Lay Rails to play into the mountains for free?

My instinct is the former, but confirmation would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tunnels card does not require you to lay rails on a particular type of terrain to activate it, but just that you lay rails with it. It is a Lay Rails card like any other, but, as it is played, it activates and allows for the discounted cost of laying rails on its own and all future appropriate lay rails actions (ie. any type of lay rails card performed on mountain spaces) that occur on the same turn.

It would be kind of useless if it only allowed future lay rails cards that turn to receive the discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take the rail symbol to mean "You may place a rail token this turn". That way I can play my money cards before or after playing any green card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgeguy wrote:
The Tunnels card does not require you to lay rails on a particular type of terrain to activate it, but just that you lay rails with it.

Yeps, got that bit

badgeguy wrote:
...allows for the discounted cost of laying rails on its own and all future appropriate lay rails actions (ie. any type of lay rails card performed on mountain spaces) that occur on the same turn.

It would be kind of useless if it only allowed future lay rails cards that turn to receive the discount.

Thanks for you reply! That was my thinking too, but wasn't 100% sure for the reasons I mentioned in my O.P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
I take the rail symbol to mean "You may place a rail token this turn". That way I can play my money cards before or after playing any green card.

That works too, but I was more wondering when you paid in relation to not having to pay extra from the specific cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:

note that if you are taking the action, you should do so before playing another card. you can't store the "lay rails" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.