Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I understand that the *new* ring bearer always pick 2 hobbit cards at the start of the new scenario.

But what if the ring bearer did not change? Is the current ring bearer considered *new* and still pick 2 cards or this rule applies only when the ring goes to another player?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You draw 2 cards in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...mmm... we are not that sure.

We thought it was a strategy element, that only a NEW ring bearer would receive 2 extra cards.. but if it is the same, then cards are not granted.

The rules does not clarify that. Actually they say "the new"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Source: "Full 2nd edition Rules" (emphasis is mine).

END OF A SCENARIO - the Ring
The player with the most Ring tokens must become the new Ring-bearer. If there is a tie, the Ring goes to the player involved in the tie sitting closest to the current Ring- bearer, in clockwise direction. If you are the current Ring-bearer, you can only keep the Ring and become the new Ring-bearer if you have more Ring tokens than any other player.
Return all Heart, Sun and Ring tokens back next to the boards. The new Ring-bearer draws two Hobbit cards from the deck and places the Ring in front of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Source: "Full 2nd edition Rules" (emphasis is mine).

END OF A SCENARIO - the Ring
The player with the most Ring tokens must become the new Ring-bearer. If there is a tie, the Ring goes to the player involved in the tie sitting closest to the current Ring- bearer, in clockwise direction. If you are the current Ring-bearer, you can only keep the Ring and become the new Ring-bearer if you have more Ring tokens than any other player.
Return all Heart, Sun and Ring tokens back next to the boards. The new Ring-bearer draws two Hobbit cards from the deck and places the Ring in front of them.

I find those "2nd edition" rules more confusing than helpful to be honest.
I found quite a few contradictions/descrepancies between those, and the "Expanded rules", which are newer than the 2nd Ed rules.
This one being one of them, and another about the possibility to play a double joker as a requirement for an event requesting 2 different symbols from being discarded (see other thread). One version says you can while the other says not.

Most likely Chris Lawson doesn't update them anymore, they're dated 2001 and 2003.

I'd like to see an official errata from Knizia himself to confirm the many grey area of the rules.

That being said, for the time being, we'll use the "2nd edition" rules where you pick 2 cards even if you're the current bearer as we think it makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Of course you can play as your group prefers; I think it is fine to "house rules" how much as you like to enjoy a game (go figure simply interpreting a "grey area" in a way or another!).
We always award the two extra cards to the Ringbearer, but if someone wants to face a greater challenge awarding them only to a "really new" Ringbearer, that's fine for me.
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Blyvall
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played the Silverline-edition for the first time the other day and I asked myself this same question. So, is there a clarification on this "the new ringbearer draws two cards"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it is ambiguous.

They couldn't just say "the ringbearer", because if the ring changed hands, there are the old and new ringbearers.

So my interpretation (and how we have always played without even questioning it) is that the new ringbearer gets 2 cards, whether or not that person was also the old ringbearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Blyvall
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I get the impression thats how most people play it.

I guess you can use the ambiguity of the rule to tweak the difficulty of the game. "The ring stays with the old ringbearer = no cards for you, baby" for a little more of a challenge (not that I get the impression that the game is too easy, but anyway).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.