Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Lee
Taiwan
Kaohsiung
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I live in Taiwan and bought this game recently.
In the game's introduction, I confuse in this phrase "chewing gum".
I know what the phrase means, but in here it's meaning seems like avarice or vanity. In my opinion, that is a extending implication and I can't realize.

Can anyone tell me the answer and the reason?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not missing any hidden implication. It's just James Earnest being wacky. The first two "wages of avarice" and "wages of vanity" are serious-sounding, like "wages of sin", and then he finishes off with the decidedly-unserious "wages of chewing gum" for comedic effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Lee
Taiwan
Kaohsiung
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:
You're not missing any hidden implication. It's just James Earnest being wacky. The first two "wages of avarice" and "wages of vanity" are serious-sounding, like "wages of sin", and then he finishes off with the decidedly-unserious "wages of chewing gum" for comedic effect.

Thanks a lot.
So it's just a humor, I think too much. ~"~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, what you're missing here is a reference to the book (also made into a movie) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In the book/movie, the owner of a candy factory has a contest where the prize is a visit to his wondrous, magical factory. All the children except Charlie end up having horrible things happen to them, austensibly because they were "bad" in different ways: one chewed too much gum (was rude), one was gluttonous, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.