Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Scoville» Forums » General

Subject: Peppers sticking in the main board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the brown and to a slightly lesser extent, the orange peppers are cut slightly differently to the others and are sticking in my main board.

I've only tried three just to see how they fit and unfortunately the action of them sticking when you try to remove them is causing damage to the edges of the pepper cutouts. The stems of the brown wooden peppers are too wide causing the board to pinch them and on removal the board is fraying.

Just a warning to others. I guess I'll either file/scalp the actual peppers down at the stems or cut the punch-outs slightly bigger. The latter I guess will be neater but there are lot to cut.

EDIT having looked at it again, it's not affecting all of the spaces, but most of them which suggests there are irregularities in the pepper cut outs. The stems of the Browns and Oranges are definitely slightly thicker though. There are some spaces where they are so tight I could insert them and lift the board by the pepper.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Unfortunately, the brown and to a slightly lesser extent, the orange peppers are cut slightly differently to the others and are sticking in my main board.

I've only tried three just to see how they fit and unfortunately the action of them sticking when you try to remove them is causing damage to the edges of the pepper cutouts. The stems of the brown wooden peppers are too wide causing the board to pinch them and on removal the board is fraying.

Just a warning to others. I guess I'll either file/scalp the actual peppers down at the stems or cut the punch-outs slightly bigger. The latter I guess will be neater but there are lot to cut.

EDIT having looked at it again, it's not affecting all of the spaces, but most of them which suggests there are irregularities in the pepper cut outs. The stems of the Browns and Oranges are definitely slightly thicker though. There are some spaces where they are so tight I could insert them and lift the board by the pepper.


I hate to say it but hopefully this is not a common problem or it speaks to a big QC issue.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its the end of the world, just don't want to damage the board as the colours are so nice. And because the fields are dark earth coloured, if the board starts to fray, the white card stock will really stand out.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brown and Orange do seem to be a little more irregular than the other colours, but I did only try it with a few. Would be worth others trying all of theirs too.

The ones that stuck were only slightly off but I agree, after a few plays this will fray the edges of the board somewhat. Not a deal breaker for me, but it won't be a game that will stay pristine.

Did I expect issues here? Yeah, actually I did. This is better than having no holes at all, but for a first print run with thousands of custom and unsymmetrical meeples (harder to machine cut), I was expecting some problems. My worst fear was that one of the heights of meeples wouldn't fit. So far, they all do with varying degrees of success: from the tight fit of some of the brown ones to the acres-of-room looseness of the phantoms.

Still eminently playable and will be a lot of fun from my reading of the rules
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed not a deal breaker.
I recommend watching Rodney Smith's Watch It Played - you won't even need to read the rules after that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian R.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy arrived and i at least managed to get one play out of it.

The problem wasn't that bad with my copy.
I tried to wiggle the peppers in the cutouts a little bit when they wouldn't come out and that seemed to help. Just pulling with force will ruin your otherwise superbeautiful gameboard (seriously, how beautiful is it? It's so smooth).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar

I may have recalled this wrong, but weren't the pepper spaces supposed to be recesses?

My board has pepper shaped holes right the way through.

In my opinion, recesses are shallow indentations which aren't the same as holes. I think I would've preferred a flat board, to a board with holes in it.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

I may have recalled this wrong, but weren't the pepper spaces supposed to be recesses?

My board has pepper shaped holes right the way through.

In my opinion, recesses are shallow indentations which aren't the same as holes. I think I would've preferred a flat board, to a board with holes in it.




I think so but I think a stretch goal changed it or they changed the design after it funded. I thought I remember seeing an update about them being excited to do holes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Highland Cow wrote:
I think I would've preferred a flat board, to a board with holes in it.


I withdraw my previous comment about the holes, they work nicely for us.

Previous posters are right about hole sizes though, they're not all the same size.
e.g. the hole at centre-right is quite a bit smaller than the others and won't take most of the peppers.



It's not a big deal for us though. The production standards on the game seem to be generally excellent.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your feedback, and for pointing out that one pepper space.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming there is a second print run, will this issue be addressed?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I'm not the outlier here, but I played this for the first time yesterday and had no problems with any peppers sticking in any of the spaces on the board. Everything fit just right, and we agreed it's a great game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skovatch wrote:
I hope I'm not the outlier here, but I played this for the first time yesterday and had no problems with any peppers sticking in any of the spaces on the board. Everything fit just right, and we agreed it's a great game.


That's good to hear. Still waiting on my copy but I was able to check out a friends and there was one tiny pepper cut near one of the corners of the field on his board. It was obviously smaller but out of the way that we doubt it would affect many games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion A
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy on Thursday last week. I also had 8 peppers (5 brown, 2 purple and a green) that weren't quite right for the pepper cut outs. I also had a few damage peppers that got through, the bottom half of a brown pepper was gone and some chunks off a blue and red. The only other issue was a mis cut phantom that doesn't stand up straight. Everything else I'm quite pleased with and I contacted TMG and was told that the damaged pieces would be replaced.

Got our first play in yesterday. It was fun, lots of choices to make!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
I think I would've preferred a flat board, to a board with holes in it.


I withdraw my previous comment about the holes, they work nicely for us.

Previous posters are right about hole sizes though, they're not all the same size.
e.g. the hole at centre-right is quite a bit smaller than the others and won't take most of the peppers.



It's not a big deal for us though. The production standards on the game seem to be generally excellent.


Our copy has the same issue with that one pepper space. The top-right space on the lower-right quadrant of the board, as shown in the image, is much smaller than any of the other pepper spaces. I'd be curious to know if this is an issue with all copies of the game or if we're just lucky.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Knopf
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bosco312 wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
I withdraw my previous comment about the holes, they work nicely for us.

Previous posters are right about hole sizes though, they're not all the same size.
e.g. the hole at centre-right is quite a bit smaller than the others and won't take most of the peppers.



It's not a big deal for us though. The production standards on the game seem to be generally excellent.


Our copy has the same issue with that one pepper space. The top-right space on the lower-right quadrant of the board, as shown in the image, is much smaller than any of the other pepper spaces. I'd be curious to know if this is an issue with all copies of the game or if we're just lucky.


Guess I'm lucky too. My board also has this error.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue is mostly in the bottom third of both the lower quadrant tiles. The left most quadrant is the worst.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ponkie wrote:
Bosco312 wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
I withdraw my previous comment about the holes, they work nicely for us.

Previous posters are right about hole sizes though, they're not all the same size.
e.g. the hole at centre-right is quite a bit smaller than the others and won't take most of the peppers.



It's not a big deal for us though. The production standards on the game seem to be generally excellent.


Our copy has the same issue with that one pepper space. The top-right space on the lower-right quadrant of the board, as shown in the image, is much smaller than any of the other pepper spaces. I'd be curious to know if this is an issue with all copies of the game or if we're just lucky.


Same issue in mine as well as a copy a friend has.
Guess I'm lucky too. My board also has this error.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The top spots above the green starting locations are really tight for my board.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:


I agree this isn't a deal breaker. I am reminded of a similar oversight by TMG on a recent game. From City Hall, this is the population track:



I love TMG, but there may need to be a serious review of QC before files are finalized...

(of note, the "27" that is only a 7 /was/ caught in pre-production, even though the 38 wasn't and found its way into the rulebook, game board, etc.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ponkie wrote:
Bosco312 wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
I withdraw my previous comment about the holes, they work nicely for us.

Previous posters are right about hole sizes though, they're not all the same size.
e.g. the hole at centre-right is quite a bit smaller than the others and won't take most of the peppers.



It's not a big deal for us though. The production standards on the game seem to be generally excellent.


Our copy has the same issue with that one pepper space. The top-right space on the lower-right quadrant of the board, as shown in the image, is much smaller than any of the other pepper spaces. I'd be curious to know if this is an issue with all copies of the game or if we're just lucky.


Guess I'm lucky too. My board also has this error.


Mine too. If the peppers won't fit, will TMG replace our boards? It seems like it's just that one space on the bottom right quadrant for me. I thought it was strange when I was unboxing it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: So I emailed TMG to ask about a replacement for one yellow pepper that was smashed, and asked what they were able to do about the board. Unfortunately it looks like the board issue is so wide spread that they are going to be unable to issue replacements. I suppose the cost would be massive as the files they sent to their supplier were likely incorrect. Fair enough I suppose! They were kind enough to send me a replacement pepper and their apologies for the board issue. Its not a massive issue and their customer service is fantastic, with their reply taking less than 12 hours.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed the exact same pepper cut-out is too small.

Worked a pepper in/out of it a few times to loosen it up.

Haven't noticed any issues with the peppers (did have a few sticking together though).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DaCosta
Canada
flag msg tools
Taegukki wrote:
UPDATE: So I emailed TMG to ask about a replacement for one yellow pepper that was smashed, and asked what they were able to do about the board. Unfortunately it looks like the board issue is so wide spread that they are going to be unable to issue replacements. I suppose the cost would be massive as the files they sent to their supplier were likely incorrect. Fair enough I suppose! They were kind enough to send me a replacement pepper and their apologies for the board issue. Its not a massive issue and their customer service is fantastic, with their reply taking less than 12 hours.



They've been all but ignoring my inquiries about this same issue. I'm very pissed off at TMG for such horrible customer service. The store I bought it from said that they will look into it if I haven't heard back from TMG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.