United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone with graphic design skills interested in making a two player playmat that can be printed by Inked playmats? It's 24" x 24". I'm thinking it could have a spot for your command deck, deployment cards, health/strain tokens, etc and the center area designated for building the map. Focused primarily on skirmish games.

Thoughts? It would need to avoid copyright material but there's plenty of fan made artwork that could be used with permission from the originating artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out break from reality games' gripmat. They print amazing gaming mats and let you submit art to be printed on them for an additional cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I backed their kickstarter and I'm getting a mat for X-Wing, but I'm hoping someone will make one. I'd also rather it be printed in a timely fashion rather than still waiting for my gripmat to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've actually played skirmish I have a better idea of what would be needed. If I have some spare time at work I may tool around with something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Skirmish yet, but I put the map together last night to explain to some friends how it works. If the playmat can only be 24"x24", won't most of the maps be larger than the mat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
Now that I've actually played skirmish I have a better idea of what would be needed. If I have some spare time at work I may tool around with something.

Awesome Chris, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

davro33 wrote:
I haven't played Skirmish yet, but I put the map together last night to explain to some friends how it works. If the playmat can only be 24"x24", won't most of the maps be larger than the mat?

Correction, it should be 24" x 28". I'm thinking of two single player MTG mats placed top to bottom. I'm very confident it will fit that size because I play on tables at my FLGS that fit those mats perfectly and we've always had quite a bit of spare room around the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so with a slow couple days at work with the year wrapping up I've had some time to tackle this request with the help and feedback from Donny.

I still want to work on the textures and finer details but this is essentially it.

It features ample space to set up the board, space for each player and their deployment card/collectible map tokens/etc, a place to easily track your score, and at the center of the board is a space to prominently display the scenario objective.

Please let the feedback fly as I refine this and prepare it for upload to the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going to create a custom playmat.... especially for skirmish... I would probably do one with the first skirmish map printed directly on it, this way I can save the 20 minutes of setup before a skirmish. Maybe get it double sided with a different skirmish mat on the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
If I were going to create a custom playmat.... especially for skirmish... I would probably do one with the first skirmish map printed directly on it, this way I can save the 20 minutes of setup before a skirmish. Maybe get it double sided with a different skirmish mat on the bottom.

I'm just guessing, but I don't think FFG would like that and I'm almost certain it would never get approved as a file upload if it contained an entire map.

That being said, I would certainly love to have the core map on here even if just for quick demo purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good, Chris. What's the vertical spacing for each player area? I have two playmats and what appears to be the largest map thus far and it fits dead center with about 4 7/8" on either side for player space. The map I setup only needs 17 and 7/8" so 18.5" provides a nice visual buffer and plenty of space for the player cards. Pictures provided below. Hard to tell what kind of space is allowed in the image you used.

chbyer wrote:
Crabbok wrote:

I'm just guessing, but I don't think FFG would like that and I'm almost certain it would never get approved as a file upload if it contained an entire map.

Gotta agree with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I printed out a copy to see it full size and in action. It's pretty good for the most part, there are a few cosmetic changes I want to make.

I definitely will be expanding the player area by at least an inch which will allow me to increase the size of the score track and command deck area which is currently too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This orientation looks wrong. I think you have the map turned 90 degrees compared to where players sit. Players should be on the short edge with the map running north south between them. That's how I've been measuring it and how it appears in my pictures above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
This orientation looks wrong. I think you have the map turned 90 degrees compared to where players sit. Players should be on the short edge with the map running north south between them. That's how I've been measuring it and how it appears in my pictures above.

Thats how i have it set up, the image is distorted from the angle I was standing and then the post editing to crop and rotate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Thats how i have it set up, the image is distorted from the angle I was standing and then the post editing to crop and rotate

Gotcha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest round of edits with some action shots!

I think I'm ready to call this one done unless anyone spots some glaring issues.

Digital image

Shots of the board in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These look great Chris!

Does it fit all of the skirmish maps currently?

Also, are these shots high res? I would like to get one made by inked playmats . But the require a high res picture.

Thanks for your hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xMindFreak wrote:
These look great Chris!

Also, are these shots high res? I would like to get one made by customink. But the require a high res picture.

The KS for your hard work.

I believe so, I know the other skirmish map is relatively the same size just a little more square (I didn't actually build that one to see). The area designated for the map is ~19"x~19" with some wiggle room.

I'm going to be submitting the playmat to the files section which will include the .ai file and a high rez jpeg so people can get them printed through the vendor of their choice. So keep an eye out for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
xMindFreak wrote:
These look great Chris!

Also, are these shots high res? I would like to get one made by customink. But the require a high res picture.

I believe so, I know the other skirmish map is relatively the same size just a little more square (I didn't actually build that one to see). The area designated for the map is ~19"x~19" with some wiggle room.

I'm going to be submitting the playmat to the files section which will include the .ai file and a high rez jpeg so people can get them printed through the vendor of their choice. So keep an eye out for that.

That's great. Would you consider doing different color schemes of the grid boxes in the background? Like a dark grey with white or black grind lines.

Or a dark grey background with red grid lines?

Just tossing some ideas out there. I would love a sleek looking dark grey with black grid lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only suggestion would be that since this is for skirmish play, having one side branded as Rebel and the other as Imp isn't correct. Both players could be Rebs, or both Imps, or neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xMindFreak wrote:
chbyer wrote:
xMindFreak wrote:
These look great Chris!

That's great. Would you consider doing different color schemes of the grid boxes in the background? Like a dark grey with white or black grind lines.

Or a dark grey background with red grid lines?

Just tossing some ideas out there. I would love a sleek looking dark grey with black grid lines.

It's certainly possible, and probably wouldn't take too long to switch those colors around. If I have a spare moment while at work I'll tweak the colors a bit and share those.

I submitted the file to the file section, but if you want the files sooner I'll be sharing them on my dropbox here. The files are large so it will take a little while for them to upload.

Rob, I agree to a point. I put those things in there from an aesthetic point of view not a OP functionality point of view. With the shared files you can certainly turn those layers off if you wanted to make your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Kropf
United States
Brownsville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I cannot not not not not not not not not not not not not not not tell a lie. But man can I obscure the truth or what?
mbmbmbmbmb
These are awesome! Only thought/suggest/idea I have is that it somehow seems wrong to have the red/blue colors. I know that is the lightsaber colors, and it does work, but I think Green=Imperial Red=Rebel is more "traditional".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b0ykropf wrote:
These are awesome! Only thought/suggest/idea I have is that it somehow seems wrong to have the red/blue colors. I know that is the lightsaber colors, and it does work, but I think Green=Imperial Red=Rebel is more "traditional".

Traditional in what sense? I know that is the color of their blaster fire but beyond that Im not aware of anything overtly green themed with Imperials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something still looks off to me, Chris. When we play skirmish, we orient the board so that the top is facing one person and the bottom is facing the other. Just as it appears on the maps for setup. Yours appears to be rotated 90 degrees so that players look at the sides. It also looks as though the map won't fit if rotated that 90 degrees. Can you confirm the dimensions of the final product? Is it actually 24 x 28 with the players sitting on the 24" sides?

I appreciate your awesome work. It's excellently done visually, but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the images. It looks strange.

b0ykropf wrote:
I think Green=Imperial Red=Rebel is more "traditional".

What is green about the empire? Green is used for Mercenaries in SWIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Something still looks off to me, Chris. When we play skirmish, we orient the board so that the top is facing one person and the bottom is facing the other. Just as it appears on the maps for setup. Yours appears to be rotated 90 degrees so that players look at the sides. It also looks as though the map won't fit if rotated that 90 degrees. Can you confirm the dimensions of the final product? Is it actually 24 x 28 with the players sitting on the 24" sides?

I appreciate your awesome work. It's excellently done visually, but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the images. It looks strange.

I can confirm that the players sit on the 24" side with the mat running 28" between them. The area for the maps is nearly square so you can place them however you want on there. Not sure what you're seeing that makes it look off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

I can confirm that the players sit on the 24" side with the mat running 28" between them. The area for the maps is nearly square so you can place them however you want on there. Not sure what you're seeing that makes it look off.

Fair enough, it must be my eyes playing tricks on me. I can't explain it!

Awesome work, Chris. Looking forward to printing this off and using it in all its glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.