Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to bag my game properly, and one thing I like to do is keep all scenario specific stuff together in separate bags, including any epic monsters that only make an appearance in that scenario (with all "generic" epic monsters kept in another bag).

But I can't find what spawns the Rampaging Shoggoth epic monster. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is spawned by the Doomsayer from Antarctica Prelude card, if you are playing with the Rise of the Elder Things. It is also spawned by The Beast Under the City, a Stage III Antarctica Adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
According to spoiled material, definitely the Doomsayer from Antarctica prelude if playing against Rise of the Elder Things. Possibly only then. Nevermind that last bit of speculation, crossposted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks! Seeing then as it *can* be spawned when not playing RotET, I guess it should rightly stay in the "generic" baggie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just begun sorting my epic monsters in the same fashion...I decided that it was a pain in the a$$ to look through 20 of them for the Tic Tock Men...but I have been sorting them as they have come up...

Have you saved your list of Epic Monsters -> GOO?

If so would you be willing to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sorted mine, but I can give you the list.

Azathoth - Tulzscha

Shub-Niggurath - Nug, Yeb, Shub-Niggurath

Yog-Sothoth - Dunwich Horror

Ithaqua - Ithaqua

Cthulhu - Cthulhu, Hydra, Cthylla

Yig - Yig, Children of Yig, Winged Serpent

All others are not tied to an Ancient One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. Thanks meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh ..oh .... what I want to kno....oow ....
where does the rampaging shoggoth go ...?

grateful dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, thinking about it more, it should really go in the bag for all the Antarctica stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Did anyone think of the possibility, when you play against Rise of the Elder Things, to ALWAYS spawn the Rampaging Shoggoth on Lake Camp? I don't like Preludes, but I kinda fell in love with this premise; for all it's worth, it should've been an official option on the AO-Card: "If players wish to have a harder game, spawn the Rampaging Shoggoth on Lake Camp". Should make things a little more difficult in the beginning, since now a monster is blocking the Acquire Assets-Action, plus Investigators on it's space (and adjacent spaces) lose 1 Sanity during Reckoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:
Did anyone think of the possibility, when you play against Rise of the Elder Things, to ALWAYS spawn the Rampaging Shoggoth on Lake Camp? I don't like Preludes, but I kinda fell in love with this premise; for all it's worth, it should've been an official option on the AO-Card: "If players wish to have a harder game, spawn the Rampaging Shoggoth on Lake Camp". Should make things a little more difficult in the beginning, since now a monster is blocking the Acquire Assets-Action, plus Investigators on it's space (and adjacent spaces) lose 1 Sanity during Reckoning.

I don't understand.. what don't you like about the prelude? Just the last paragraph? Because that's the only part you aren't using with this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
I mean, I don't like the concept of Preludes in general. They're kinda fiddly, like rolling a die for a house-rule. I also don't like Adventures, for the very same reason; they do nothing for me (I'm thoroughly satisfied with the premise, that Antarctica-sideboard only comes to the table, when playing "Rise of the Elder Things"). But I liked this particular "idea" of having a Rampaging Shoggoth right from the start on Lake Camp. It's thematic and exciting and adds to the story. You don't just fly to Antarctis and start owning stuff, it's a dangerous place to begin with. And since Elder Things are on the easier side anyway (they don't even have a reckoning effect), it wouldn't have hurt to make this idea part of their obligatory setup.
Or so I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just saying that the setup you are explaining is nearly identical to one of the preludes, and there is no rule that the prelude has to be randomized, so it's almost like you are choosing a prelude for your game but deciding you just want to call it a variant instead of a prelude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, let's compound with this: I like this one Prelude.
This, and only this one. Not even necessary to allow the Lead Investigator to move to Miskatonic Outpost rightaway; just gimme that Shoggoth.
In fact I like it so much, that I think, it should've been part of the default experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a nice house rule to bump the difficulty of any AO with a linked prelude: Take the bad part of the effect and ignore the good part. If you take the bad part of another AO's prelude, you have something a bit like Arkham's Heralds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.