Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, if they do, roughly how much?

My wife really needs to find out for a paper, and my Google-fu isn't helping-all I can find are yearly salaries. Help me, Chit-Chat, you're my only hope!

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get any official bonuses. But some of my more thoughtful customers leave me a tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm trying to get a feel as to whether Christmas bonuses are a common thing in govenment jobs, they're unusual, or if they're simply not expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that no US civil servant (government employee) at any level -- city, county, state, or national -- would receive a Christmas bonus. To do so would mean that the government would be recognizing a holiday of one specific religion and promoting it over those of other religions, which is against national policy.

We have freedom of religion here in the States, which usually translates to "freedom from religion". People are so afraid of offending someone that they actively avoid making references or connection to any religion or system of belief. Some private companies with generous owners or management (these are few and far between) will hand out Christmas bonuses, but any governmental agency that did so would bring down the wrath of the non-religious groups that actively seek out any opportunity for offense.

Any bonus received by a civil servant would be for length of service or possibly for completing some special project. It would be referred to as a "year-end" bonus to avoid any connection with Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Federal Government there are no Christmas Bonuses at all that I am aware of, but there are annual bonuses, usually awarded near the end of the fiscal year (30 September). Whether you get them and how much you get depends on the specific organization; they are usually merit-based, requiring some sort of a statement. Cost-savings (Janet saved the government $1.8 million by revising the local purchasing process, so we'd like to give her $500!) are a frequent justification.

As an example, $2000 is an amount that a local supervisor could approve, if your agency is allowed to give bonuses and your department has some budget available for that. Anything larger (there might be a cap around $20,000, maybe $25,000) would have to go up towards the relevant Secretary (of Defense, of Agriculture, of State, etc.) for approvals.

However, budgets have been very tight for the past several years, and so annual bonuses for standard government employees (well, at least in the DoD) have been much less common than, say, ten years ago.

At the upper echelons of the Senior Executive Service bonuses are sometimes given based on high performance ratings. See http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-se... and look in the various sections for "Awards" to see some of the bonus structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for the state of California and get no such bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much everyone! My wife says your info was invaluable, and that you are all awesome :-) Chitchat comes through again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
For what it's worth, main bonuses in the U.S. (for government or private jobs) are not often associated with Christmas. This is mainly because they are usually tied to the performance of the employee or company so the amount can vary, may not be predictable, and cannot be counted on.

However, companies or managers may give a much smaller amount tied to Christmas (or "the holidays") but at least where I work it is considered more of a gift than a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Taylor
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. I work in Texas for the military (civil service) and the only bonus that we got this year I know of is the 26th off of work (thanks, Obama!).

Typically when Congress passes a new appropriations bill (budget) it includes a raise for all government employees to adjust for inflation (was 1% last year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a school employee. We don't get bonuses because it would be seen as an undue gift. Pretty much anything over my hourly rate and health care package are seen as undue gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
I'm a school employee. We don't get bonuses because it would be seen as an undue gift. Pretty much anything over my hourly rate and health care package are seen as undue gifts.

OK. Looks like it's up to me to be the voice of reason on this thread.

I got nothin' for a school district employee in a specific school district.

But I will ask. Do you get a couple weeks paid vacation during the holidays on top of your yearly paid vacation and on top of your yearly summer sabatical?

I'm guessing here. But we are picking nits about what constitutes a Christmas Bonus?

I accrue 15 days vacation per year. 5 of them are expended during the 3 week winter recess, whether I want to or not. I also get 3 holiday days during that time.

(I also have 5 of them expended for me during Spring Break. Again, whether or not I wish to have them used. In effect, those 15 vacation days/year are actually 5 discretionary days, and 10 days I would rather be working.)

So, I get 7 UNPAID days during the winter holidays. On top of the 3 UNPAID days during Thanksgiving week (schools are closed all that week in my district). On top of 6 UNPAID weeks during the summer when school is not in session. Clerical, custodial, food service and teaching assistants all have to deal with this, since all are hourly employees and are paid based on actual hours worked.

So, please stop lumping all public school employees with salaried teachers and administrators whose salaries are amortized over all 12 months.

Besides, how would I spending vacation time during the holidays be any different than anyone else spending theirs during the same time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I should hope public servants don't get Texas as a bonus. They might find it disagrees with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
the manatee wrote:
I work for the state of California and get no such bonus.

You need a better union.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/california-state...

Raise =/= bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.