25 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Agents of Shield Season II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: This is the Season II thread, but I've actually made a Season III thread here (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1449982/agents-shield-seaso...).

Last year I made some Agents of Shield cards to shuffle into the SHIELD Officers deck. After playing with it some I've made some changes. I've also added more characters to be more representative of Season 2 of Agents of Shield (so maybe spoilers?) and other new characters in the MCU. These are intended to completely replace the SHIELD Officer deck with I suppose 3 of each officer. I will probably add SSR Officers from Agent Carter in a few months though. Anyhow, here they are. Thoughts?

Leo Fitz

Maria Hill

Melinda May

Phil Coulson

Bobbi Morse

Skye

Agent Koenig

Jemma Simmons

Sharon Carter

Grant Ward

Antoine Triplett

Mike Peterson

Agent 33

Last but not least: Peggy Carter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Job!

Added them to the Masterlist of custom cards.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1268493/marvel-custom-card-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I love this show.

I think you might want to take another look at your wording on Maria Hill. I suspect you want "any other player". As is, the player who plays Maria Hill will always draw 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great! I would love to see something like this in the big box this summer.

You did a great job of staying thematic with each person's abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it seems odd that Skye is Tech, but Fitz and Simmons aren't. In fact, most of the cards are missing class icons? Mockingbird should probably be covert or strength, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Cool! I love this show.

I think you might want to take another look at your wording on Maria Hill. I suspect you want "any other player". As is, the player who plays Maria Hill will always draw 2 cards.

You are absolutely correct, thanks for catching that.

DarthEd wrote:
Also, it seems odd that Skye is Tech, but Fitz and Simmons aren't. In fact, most of the cards are missing class icons? Mockingbird should probably be covert or strength, IMHO.

They are generally classless (sick burn) to remain consistent with the existing SHIELD Officer deck. Skye's only special ability is having that Tech icon. So while I'm not 100% convinced it's a great idea, it was intentional and intended to represent her character's deep affinity for technology as differentiated from Fitz and Simmons' book learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nacnudllah wrote:

DarthEd wrote:

They are generally classless (sick burn) to remain consistent with the existing SHIELD Officer deck. Skye's only special ability is having that Tech icon. So while I'm not 100% convinced it's a great idea, it was intentional and intended to represent her character's deep affinity for technology as differentiated from Fitz and Simmons' book learning.

While I understand the reasoning of trying to keep with the original deck, I would think that giving a few of them classes would give more incentive for buying them, while not guaranteeing that they will be useful to your deck. Fitz would most definitely be tech with his icers, plasma cutters, and the Dwarfs. I agree with Ed about Mockingbird being covert, and would also propose May and maybe Ward as well, though that may give Ward more utility than he is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Fitz could be Ranged, because of his sensor drones. For that matter, Skye could, too, since she largely does her hacking remotely. I would think both May and Bobbie could be either Strength or Covert. Simmons could also be Covert, what with her undercover stint in Hydra. I could also see Bobbie as Instinct. It might be nice to have one officer with each Superpower icon.

Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play with these cards, do you keep the officer deck face down or face up? Since they all cost the same, you could have it be a surprise which officer would come into your hand. That might even make room to have a more malevolent Ward card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
When you play with these cards, do you keep the officer deck face down or face up? Since they all cost the same, you could have it be a surprise which officer would come into your hand. That might even make room to have a more malevolent Ward card?

Personally, I'd play with them face up; but I'd also play with special bystanders face up (that's just how I roll). Ultimately, I think the designers of the game would probably have you play them face down. I figure it's mostly personal preference at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By request, I've made alternate art versions of Sharon Carter and Jemma Simmons. Also, I've added Antoine Triplett up top. My goal is to get to 15 total SHIELD Officers so that the deck can include 2 of each Officer. To that end, I'm still working on Agent Peggy Carter and Dum Dum Dugan, whom I shall someday post here once I come up with card effects for them. In the meantime, 3 each of your favorite 10 Officers will get you there just as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the card uploaded today, it looks like the Photoshop layer for Agent 13's clothes is missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
For the card uploaded today, it looks like the Photoshop layer for Agent 13's clothes is missing?

From the artist's Deviant Art page:

http://mcguan.deviantart.com/art/Agent-13-276638715

"The costume design is simple. Really simple. Like "Disco Jumpsuit" simple. Or Emma Peel's catsuits from The Avengers TV series.

So I had this premise of a negative spacing rendering in my head from the initial conception. Then I drew it and, in my usual manner, over-detailed the costume. This led to various versions with half-tones and shading, a version with just the zipper and piping and finally here... where I always intended it to be. So I'm eating up all the memory on my computer with the variants I make on every project. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm the one who mentioned the alternate art (my daughter wasn't buying that Sharon Carter image, and I was unsatisfied with the Simmons painting). I actually created my own design for these cards, based on the existing Maria Hill card layout (as far as I can tell, Nacnud seems to have used the Mastermind template). Anyway, I figured I should share my cards as well. Keep in mind that Nacnud devised all the mechanics and made most of the design/art choices. All I did is give them an alternate layout. I've also included my visuals for a Peggy Carter card. Functionality is TBD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlo Yap
msg tools
Ive Been using the cards in my Marvel games and our group has enjoyed them very much! If I may place my opinions on two of them Agent Coulson and Ward
and a suggestion for agent Carters ability.

Coulson
=> I believe that his ability should be triggered with at least two SHIELD Symbols instead of one (critical ability) before he can recruit a SHIELD officer for free this ties up with his ability to work in teams of more than one to gain new recruits.

Ward
=> Im not a fan of his current ability. It does not feel like Ward, his character shines in season one as a highly trained SHIELD agent that went rouge. Having this in mind my I believe that KOing a grey hero as an ability that is triggered by one covert sign would best suit him. It ties in with his role of being an agent that works for Hydra perfectly since his mission is to take down SHIELD taking down all grey SHILED officers, troupers and agents from your hand or discard pile seams fitting.

Agent Carter
=> I love the way that she was instrumental in building SHIELD and in the process creating the AVENGERS. The simplest way to represent this is to give her no ability but increase her recruit points to three instead of two. She is similar to Coulson in this way the but she can have the potential to recruit more heroes from the HQ as well as automatically recruit SHEILD officers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad to hear you've been enjoying using the Agents of SHIELD. I really like your ideas for Coulson, Ward and Carter. Here are some new versions of them channeling those ideas. You'll notice I tweaked your thoughts for Ward a bit to make him (I think) more flavorful, but functionally almost identical to what you were saying. Plus, as an added bonus, I made a card for Agent Mike Peterson.

EDIT: I added the new cards to the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jones
msg tools
mb
Is there any way you can make the Mike Peterson in the original shield officer layout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrnmrsjones246 wrote:
Is there any way you can make the Mike Peterson in the original shield officer layout

YUUUUPP!
I did the season 2 SHIELD Officers in the different layout because my template for colorless heroes is not very good, but I have been working on improving it, so Agents of SHIELD season 3 will be back to having the traditional borders.

Also, if anybody knows of a good looking template for grey heroes, I would love to get a better one as I don't really like the way this one looks yet.

EDIT: moved all card images to the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlo Yap
msg tools
WOW! Thank you so much Nacnud! the cards look great! I also just got an Idea for Agent Triplet.

Triplet
=> One SHIELD card: KO Agent Triplet to rescue a bystander

This ability gives him the feel of sacrificing himself to save others and from testing his current ability he currently just keeps on getting victory points for the player that has him. To combo him with Black Widow and he makes some schemes easy.

also if possible would you be able to make him Coulson, Ward and Carter with a grey boarder I would love to print them out and play test them on our next game

also i've meant to ask why is agent carter's SHIELD symbol gold? Thank you greatly in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaloy23 wrote:
WOW! Thank you so much Nacnud! the cards look great! I also just got an Idea for Agent Triplet.

Triplet
=> One SHIELD card: KO Agent Triplet to rescue a bystander

This ability gives him the feel of sacrificing himself to save others and from testing his current ability he currently just keeps on getting victory points for the player that has him. To combo him with Black Widow and he makes some schemes easy.

I like it, seems like fun.

kaloy23 wrote:

also if possible would you be able to make him Coulson, Ward and Carter with a grey boarder I would love to print them out and play test them on our next game

Sure, I can do that, I've gone ahead and updated the OP with every officer in grey borders.

kaloy23 wrote:

also i've meant to ask why is agent carter's SHIELD symbol gold? Thank you greatly in advance

Agent Carter doesn't have the SHIELD faction symbol. She's a member of the SSR faction. It's part fluff and part balancing factor, especially with the baseline 3 Recruit.

Also worth noting, I added Agent 33 to the OP, which brings me up to 14 SHIELD Officers, which is only one shy of my target. So if anybody has a lead on a good piece of art for Mack, Hunter, Gonzalez, or any other SHIELD Officer from the MCU that I'm not thinking of, I'd be pretty excited to bring this thing up to 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlo Yap
msg tools
Agent 33 ability seams OP for an officer card of 3 recruit. I love the idea of giving her a copy ability based on her accident. I was thinking of toning her skills down a bit so as not to overlap her abilities with Mystique.

Based on those lines I have two abilities for your consideration.

1. One Tech: Reveal the top card of the villain deck and gain a versatile value based on the card's VP if no VP then zero.

This first ability gives her that "Spy" feel she can provide intel on what trouble that will come next and adopt. it also gives her that "copy" feel in the form of a Versatile ability based on the card's VP providing a bit of randomness from using her face mask. I also made her use a tech activation symbol instead of a SHIELD as she uses tech to change her appearance.

2. One Tech: Copy text from a Hero in the KO pile.

This second ability ties in with her current team up with Ward. Ward knocks them out and she copies their abilities. It has a set up and support feel, I picture her going in after other members of her team has cleared the way and she comes in and takes action. This makes her combo with Ward and other filter cards from the set and also distinguishes her from Mystique as her ability taps into the KO pile. She'll be stronger in the late game when there are more heroes in the pile and it would open up a lot of deck building options were you need to choose to KO your heroes to strengthen up your deck based on her ability.

Out of the two I prefer the later rather than former since its a very simple mechanic and it opens up the KO pile to the players.

Hunter

Mercenary type character with lots of connections. if ever you make one card of him would you consider the following ability?

One Covert: Target Henchman card has Bribe until end of turn.

It would be OP for him to also target the regular villains or masterminds and I see him having connections with the henchmen groups, going undercover drinking beer with the underling and swapping secrets in exchange for money.

Also would Mike Peterson need a Versatile attack symbol on his card just like Agent May as he also attacks

Thanks again for your great work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with a simpler and less OP effect for Agent 33. So I've updated her card, that's what I get for posting things before thinking them through fully.

Thanks for pointing out the typo on Deathlok, it is now fixed.

I like the idea of some variation of that ability for Lance Hunter. Now all I need is some artwork which as far as I can tell doesn't exist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
----------------------------
Before we get Villain expansion:
Maria Hill was = Ok (maybe not really ok,, but still not that bad)

After we get Villain expansion:
Maria Hill was = Almost NEVER been bought (maria hill was really bad)

After we use this Variant and replaces All official Maria hills:
These Custom Shield officers are good! Even better than some hero cards. and..
Madame Hydra was = Almost NEVER been bought
-----------------------------

So we noticed some imbalance here..

So any ideas how to adjust these custom Shield Officers?

I am thinking.. how about:
You can only buy/get these custom Shield officers only if you are using paying *stars* from cards with *shield* symbols or Nick fury's ability.
Thematically... these guys only follow or join their fellow teammates..

What do you guys think?

PS
And also we noticed that
Peggy Carter was a bit strong, even though she is just a vanilla card.. so how about... instead she just give 2 stars only and +1 star if you previously played a *shield* symbol card ? it is a bit still the same but a little weaker..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think these are too strong at all. Mike Peterson is maybe a little too strong, especially since he's only good in Tech decks.

My group has almost never bought Maria Hills from the very beginning (unless the hero setup has like ZERO recruitment power). So bringing them to the point where they're at least playable is nice.

@nacnudllah, how close are we to getting the next revision of these cards? I love the direction you went, I'd love to see them cleaned up a bit and given one last round of tweaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually got the Season III cards up on my photobucket. I'll make a thread for them right now, although they're likely to change over the course of season III of the show as I try to keep them true to the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.