CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
They play BSG the second season lately on INHD2. I wish they would run the new series at the same time as SciFi. It looks pretty pretty in high def. Either way I am ready for it!robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why get cable when you can watch it all unfold on BGG? devil

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128648

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh goodness... I think I may crap my pants with excitement.

Anyone else notice that Tigh's sporting an eyepatch in one of the preview shots? WTF!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well...that was disturbing. I'm not sure what to think. BSG has been my favorite show for the last two years, so I am a fan. This premier was intense, to be sure. However, I'm not sure I'm happy about the over-the-top political statement. It looks like we are going to be force-fed Ron Moore's personal political beliefs on Iraq via BSG. Yeah, it's thought provoking, but is that what we want when we watch BSG? We confront Iraq everyday, and now even our escapism draws us back into current events. I'm not sure this is what I want. This episode was well made and tense - the quality is not in question, but I'm not sure I want to go along for the ride this time. I've got some thinking to do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'll most likely be able to get the episodes from iTunes for a couple bucks . . . you know, LEGALLY.

Why should people pay for TV shows they can A) Watch for free or B) Download for free.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Roslin is probably dead seeing as the preview at the end of the show had her talking to Baltar with Six-in-Baltar's-Head in the background...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
well...that was disturbing. I'm not sure what to think. BSG has been my favorite show for the last two years, so I am a fan. This premier was intense, to be sure. However, I'm not sure I'm happy about the over-the-top political statement. It looks like we are going to be force-fed Ron Moore's personal political beliefs on Iraq via BSG. Yeah, it's thought provoking, but is that what we want when we watch BSG? We confront Iraq everyday, and now even our escapism draws us back into current events. I'm not sure this is what I want. This episode was well made and tense - the quality is not in question, but I'm not sure I want to go along for the ride this time. I've got some thinking to do...

Are you unable to enjoy the show because of this? I think it's a fascinating and thought-provoking storyline, considered in its own universe. There are many works of fiction that were political in nature when created, but still manage to be entertaining after their relevance is minimized. I think BSG is like that.

It's easy for me to say this, of course, since my political bent is probably more in line with what the show's creator is trying to say. But seriously... all real-life parallels and politics aside, I thought that was one hell of a season opener. Massively entertaining and suspensful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Are you unable to enjoy the show because of this? I think it's a fascinating and thought-provoking storyline, considered in its own universe. There are many works of fiction that were political in nature when created, but still manage to be entertaining after their relevance is minimized. I think BSG is like that.

It's easy for me to say this, of course, since my political bent is probably more in line with what the show's creator is trying to say. But seriously... all real-life parallels and politics aside, I thought that was one hell of a season opener. Massively entertaining and suspensful.

John - I totally agree it was suspensful and well-done, as I noted several times in my original post. I'm not going to stop watching, but I hope the entire season doesn't degenerate into nothing more than a thinly-veiled statement on current-day US war-fighting and foreign policy on a weekly basis. That would become tiresome.

BTW - did you notice that about in the middle of the show, there was a shot panning across the city, and the music played at that point has a distinctly Middle-Eastern flavor to it? And the that city looked alot like those shots you see of various places in the Arab world - I almost thought I was watching "Blackhawk Down" - I had to chuckle at that!

BTW2 - I am not a full-fledged supported of US policy in Iraq, so I'm not at the polar opposite of Moore's apparent political position, but I just don't want to be preached to during my leisure-time TV watching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

John - I totally agree it was suspensful and well-done, as I noted several times in my original post. I'm not going to stop watching, but I hope the entire season doesn't degenerate into nothing more than a thinly-veiled statement on current-day US war-fighting and foreign policy on a weekly basis. That would become tiresome.

Agreed. I guess I just didn't find it that heavy-handed as of yet. Personally, I'm really fascinated by how the situation has changed the characters.

Quote:
BTW - did you notice that about in the middle of the show, there was a shot panning across the city, and the music played at that point has a distinctly Middle-Eastern flavor to it? And the that city looked alot like those shots you see of various places in the Arab world - I almost thought I was watching "Blackhawk Down" - I had to chuckle at that!

I didn't really notice that, but I do remember one of my friends going "what the hell is up with this music?", and I was like, "eh, it's always some weird greek shit on this show".

Quote:
BTW2 - I am not a full-fledged supported of US policy in Iraq, so I'm not at the polar opposite of Moore's apparent political position, but I just don't want to be preached to during my leisure-time TV watching!

Understood and agreed. I just didn't feel that it was so heavy as to interfere with the integrity of the show, which would ruin my enjoyment of it also.

So, off the politics. Anyone else think Starbuck's kid is a robot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking Starbuck's kid is not a toaster, or at least, not a complete toaster. How would a toaster "grow-up" physically? Unless the plan is that the kid would not be needed that long!

Also - wondering about the replication of the killed Cylons. In a previous episode, the Colonials destroyed that huge "soul" ship, without which the killed Cylons could not download and would be truly dead. Now, I can guess that the Cylons have probably established a new download center on New Caprica, but I would have to guess that would be the "insurgents" target number one! Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://slithytoves.sytes.net/~dave/wordpress/?p=1574

Also, a quote from when me and the missus were watching:

"Hit him, Kara! Hit him with the baby!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

This is hilarious. My friend said "stab him with the baby".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kara Thrace arrested:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/09/baby.weapon.ap/index.html?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

This is hilarious. My friend said "stab him with the baby".

laughlaughlaugh

I guess you have to know the context to make that funny. But it is funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or is BSG this season just complete awesomeness!

That emergency jump of the galactica in the atmosphere of caprica was pretty cool.

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this most recent episode might be the best hour of TV I've ever watched! And yes, the atmospheric jump by Galactica was complete, total, and absolute awesomeness!!! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we should be happy she didn't stab him with the baby! laughlaugh

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.