Subject: A time limit for team voting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find my group is really taking forever to make up their mind on a decent team to vote on. I find the leader will change his/her mind about the team about 2-3 times while we are having a 10+ min debate.

So to promote more voting and less talking (just a tad less talking). I was thinking you could have a timer for how long the leader has to make his/her decision about a team.

The leader has 5 mins max to propose his/her final team. Then everyone else has 10 seconds to decide whether to accept or reject the team. After a 3 second countdown, everyone reveals their choice; and the game proceeds.

I was thinking of also varying the amount of time the leader has to decide based on how many failed votes there have been. Maybe the leaders have an increasing amount of time as votes get declined. Or maybe even a decreasing amount of time.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good idea. And I'm not one for supporting timing.

I once played a game of this where one of the traitors spend 25 minutes (I'm not joking) determining his team.

I literally disengaged in the game completely and almost just walked away. We all knew he was a traitor, but he was trying to make it a show.

I don't game with that person anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone just claims Merlin, the game goes significantly faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a sensible idea. It should not take more than 5 minutes per mission, but as the OP mentioned it will take an increasing amount of time to pick each mission.

Within each mission the first leader should have the most time, because the next person should already be thinking about what team they would pick if they end up as leader.

You could either make it a strict time limit per mission, or simply be able to call a 30 second clock when it becomes obvious that discussions are going nowhere or someone is stalling.

My other thought is that you should just have a discussion with your group and see how everyone feels, rather than trying to push your ideas onto them. I suspect that no one really wants to spend every game bogged down in circular discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.