Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominating this scenario are three new terrain features: a fordable (for infantry) river, a road and a minefield. Also dominating the battle is artillery both on the Allied and Axis sides; the latter guarding the more vulnerable Axis Right flank.

Matthew: Axis
Steve: Allies

Steve advanced on both the Left and Right flanks, succeeded in taking the first objective on the Axis Right. The move on the other side was met by the Axis armour with one unit eliminated in the minefield. The score stood at 1-1. However Steve had successfully moved his artillery up to the river and proceeding to follow history by pounding and eliminating my forces in Linnich as well as a tank unit. I then was forced to use an Armour Assault to retreat my remaining single tank unit to the rear!

The score stood at 1-4 and I had no multi-section cards. I played Their Finest Hour and managed to retake the objective on the Axis Right. Steve responded with Air Power against the remnants of the Axis Centre huddled near the road at the rear reducing my Artillery unit to single figure. This is when my luck changed. I used a Barrage against a lone figure that had retreated to the Allied Left rear and used Artillery Bombardment to eliminate another. The score was 5-5. However my artillery was still in range and a single die roll ended the battle.

Score: 5-6

I started the battle with a move on the Allied Right that was met by a Firefight. I responded with Counter Attack, managing to severely reduce the forces in Linnich. I did manage to take the first objective on the Left by eliminating a unit but then retreated to the neighbouring woods out of Artillery range. I also made a move on the Right Flank to threaten the objective on that side as well as facilitating the advance of my artillery. Steve responded as I had done, with his armour; catching my unit on the River in a cross fire from either side of the lake. The armour continued by attacking my Artillery several times, forcing it to retreat. He also retreated all forces back down the road from Linnich. I was finally able to play the Artillery Bombardment I had been dealt and destroyed all the Axis armour.

The score stood at 3-3 and I began a campaign to remove the Axis artillery that was preventing my holding the object on that side. My own artillery fire had reduced it to a single figure and caused the unit to retreat to the rear where it was protected by sandbags after Dig In. I tried Barrage and then Behind Enemy Lines with my unit still in the woods by the objective but both actions failed.

With all the Axis forces at the rear, including at least one with a single figure, I tried a new tactic: a move in the Centre. I planned to take the town objectives on both the Left and Right which combined with a single Axis unit from the Centre would give me victory. Steve responded by advancing to meet me at the minefield with Firefight. But even with a Barrage card played against a lone Allied figure at the rear it was too late. After several unsuccessful attempts with my Artillery I eventually eliminated a lone Axis unit in the Centre then advanced on the Left and without casualties on the Right through the minefield to take the objectives and win the battle.

Matthew: Allies
Steve: Axis

Score: 6-4

Final Score: 11-10

In this battle I managed to even the score at 2-2 for the Terrain Expansion by avoiding any serious mistakes. In the second battle we had almost exhausted the whole pack of cards. In future we will consider removing one or more Tactics cards as suggested on BGG to remove the certainty of certain powerful cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.