Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question for those of you out there who have done car modding. I'm planning on doing some hot wheels mods, and I'm most likely going to go with the Stan Johansen pieces (BTW, the Wolfhound Jack stuff on Shapeways seems to be gone).

My question is, has anyone tried using neodymium magnets on the inside of the Hot Wheels and in the weapons to make them modular? I know that Hot Wheels are not magnetic, and neither is pewter, so I'm thinking that I could super glue some neodymium magnets under the hood, roof, trunk and doors of the car, and then adding magnets to the weapons as well.

My reasoning for wanting to make the vehicles modular is that I really like post-apocalyptic vehicle games. I'm interested in, "A Straight Road," "Thunder Track," "Car Wars," and this game, to name a few. I'd like to be able to use these cars for any of these games. From what I understand, Car Wars in particular needs the vehicles to be re-configurable (I've not played it before, so I may be wrong).

I'm planning on trying this, and wanted to see if anyone had any tips that might help with this idea.

Thanks for any feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd avoid this hassle, if i were you.
I mean: there's no way you can represent in high details the vehicles depicted in these games (yes, Car Wars is HIGHLY customizable: half of the game for me was to build the vehicle with the given budget during the week, for the for the sunday when we played..... think at it like building a Magic:TG deck).
I'll just try to stay coherent with the car body types (so a mini, a sedan ,a van, etc) but after this just mod your toys to make them looks cool. A barrel peeping out of the front grid or lights can be anything. Perhaps you can go a bit further and made detacheable weapons so if a car design have no front or rear guns you can represent it, but really, it does'nt change that much (and Car Wars had "Fake Weapons" as available accossory just to fool your opponents )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a miniatures game of vehicle combat (the name escapes me right now) that had customizable cars with magnetized add-ons. So it is doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done the magnet thing on my 40K minis and battletech. it's a bit fiddly, but if you get good at it, it's so handy.

Since Outrider is a bit more abstracted than something like Car Wars, I just build cars to match weapon arcs, but I don't get very specific about what the guns are. Alot of my cars just have generic barrels jutting out from the hood, etc.

on a side note, Wolf Hound Jack may be making his car wars stuff available again. He took them down, because the plastic shapeways offered couldn't reproduce the level of detail those models required. Shapeways has added some new plastics since then, so he may re-upload them. Ive also sent him a wish list of stuff. I always liked that he offered things that no one else did, like mine layers and side saws.

and as always ... if you make some modded cars, send us some pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!

You're right, Fabio, and I have the same problem many PnP'ers do of wanting everything to be perfect. In this case, I may be too worried about the detail. I am also wondering now if the mods would be stable enough to handle, or if the pieces would shift around a lot. That might be annoying. I have a friend who has some neodymium magnets, so once I strip a car down, I'll bring the chassis in and see how the magnets respond to one another through the body. If they seem to work well, I'll probably try this technique for at least a car or two, and see how a finished product works.

Martin, if you remember the name of the game, let me know! Sounds cool!

Any other feedback is, of course, welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
was the game KRASH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Backstrom
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about using 2d weapons, like paper minatures? You could print them on sticker paper, fold them, and just attach them to the car wherever you like. At that scale you could probably get a ton of weapons on a single sheet. When you want to change weapons, just pull off the old ones and put on the new ones. You might even be able to print them on cardstock, fold and glue them, then attach the base of the weapon to the car with rubber cement so you can reuse them. The carstock would also make the guns a little thicker(more 3d). Or, paper bases with toothpick guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heywood
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imnntt wrote:
How about using 2d weapons, like paper minatures?

A source for those might be another game, Armor Grid: Mech Attack. Some of the smaller weapons in that game could work, all print and glue.
I would rather use plastic or metal glued on. I think it is less important to show particular weapons than it is to get across the idea of armed grungy cars in a land of desperate men and women and times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dollar store action figures have been suggested more than a few times by Outrider fans. you get alot of little plastic bits/barrels that are a bit out of scale, but a lot of BANG for your BUCK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions! On the paper weaponry front, I found a tutorial (may have been on the Outrider site, actually), that was all about crafting weapons from bits of wood, toothpicks, and the like. The guy had some pretty cool designs. If I went with crafting my own guns, I'd probably go that route. I like the idea of the 3-D look and feel.

I have seen some dollar store action figures with a bunch of accessories. Like, "The Corps," a generic knockoff of GI Joe. That's not a bad idea either.

Here is that link [edit, added link]
http://www.scribd.com/doc/121765359/Weapons-For-Hot-Wheel-Ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aquilaprime wrote:
was the game KRASH?
Yes. I remembered that it had a "k" in the title but did not want to come across as completely senile.

By the way, where is my keyboard? How am I supposed to type on this thing with no keyboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
find some cheap models to add the magnets to
maybe old ones from goodwill or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.