Popular Tags: wiki [+] [View All]
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is for discussion of the Wiki Content Guidelines. If you feel further guidelines are needed or particular guidelines should be relaxed, discuss it here. Unlike most pages in the wiki, the content guidelines are locked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guidelines say
Quote:
Permission. If you are not the author of material you are posting to the wiki, be certain you have permission before doing so. If the content is likely to raise concerns over the permission, include a note and/or description of the permission obtained.

Some time back, there was a line somewhere on the geek that anything you entered was assumed to be licenced under the Creative Commons license. I think having an up-front license policy on the wiki is a good idea, like Wikipedia has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you posted the part about neutral point of view. It's actually been something that's been annoying me about the game descriptions for a long time -- very many of them start getting all judgmental on various aspects of the game. I'm often like, if I wanted a review, I'd read a review! So I will set about trying to fix the ones I see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkunicorn wrote:

Some time back, there was a line somewhere on the geek that anything you entered was assumed to be licenced under the Creative Commons license. I think having an up-front license policy on the wiki is a good idea, like Wikipedia has.

There were some issues with the Creative Commons license in the past, and Scott removed it. I agree an up-front license would be a good idea and will suggest it to Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a single-game FAQ, like the one being discussed here, be appropriate and allowed in the wiki?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
pinkunicorn wrote:

There were some issues with the Creative Commons license in the past, and Scott removed it. I agree an up-front license would be a good idea and will suggest it to Scott.

What was the problem? It seems that Wikipedia is moving towards a CC license, and I don't see why it shouldn't work here if it works for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a thread for BGG Wiki content formatting questions?

On the wiki page

OLWLG

I have a table near the top so I can get some background color styling (is there a better way to change background color with wiki formatting, don't see DIV style equiv?) I have ...

{| style="background: yellow; color: green"
|-
| the section I want to have this styling on
|}

when I "preview" this shows up as expected, yellow background with green text... however once "saved" it does not display

Also a related question on bgg wiki pages... on this form for typing in a reply/post I long longer see a "wiki" button to insert a wikipage reference, have to enter the markup manually now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
this is going to sound stupid, but, where/how do you actually add a page to this? I am looking into setting up my own branch of a gamechat league or similar, I can see the wiki page for the GCLs I read but I cant figure out how I am supposed to "submit" a page of my own

if you can see the wiki page there should be an "edit" link up near the top for it

you can also create a new wiki by going to to the url that it would be if it already existed and then "edit" it, for example

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/jfkjfkljflkfjklfjlkdfjkld...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a little bit confused about presentation of information on a game series page:

260 Action Cards [10 x 26 Each]

This translate to me: there are 26 copies for each of 10 different cards. For the game i noticed it i know its 26 different cards with 10 copies each. So my question is: is this due to english (not my mother language), general habit on BGG or may i correct it (260 Action Cards [26 x 10 Each])?

Going further: (on the same page)

12 Victory Cards [12 x 1 'XYZ']

Why got this the card name in, but not the others?
Why the 'x 1'? Looks ugly, is useless and also violates my understanding.
I would write either "12 Victory Cards [1 x 12 Each]" (following a general form) or "12 Victory Cards [12 x 'XYZ']"

---

Additional question: are there rules that links to game series pages or FAQ pages are only included on game pages and not on game family pages? If not, where should them be inserted?

Thanks from Germany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominionaer wrote:
I am a little bit confused about presentation of information on a game series page:

260 Action Cards [10 x 26 Each]

This translates to me: there are 26 copies for each of 10 different cards.

Without seeing this before, I agree this is the most likely interpretation. The problem is the funny position of "Each". I can see cases where that position would be right, but they are more verbose.

Dominionaer wrote:
For the game I noticed, I know it's 26 different cards with 10 copies each.

Then it needs to be fixed, maybe the person made a mistake typing it.

Dominionaer wrote:
So my question is: is this due to English (not my mother language), general habit on BGG or may I correct it (260 Action Cards [26 x 10 Each])?

I haven't read the guidelines, and I haven't seen the page in question, but I say it would be better to correct it in a more verbose manner that doesn't lead to this confusion:
260 Action Cards [26 Actions x 10 Each]
260 Action Cards [10x 26 Actions]
260 Action Cards [10 copies of 26 Actions]
260 Action Cards [10 each of 26 Actions]

Hopefully someone more familiar with the pages and style will comment.

Dominionaer wrote:

Going further: (on the same page)

12 Victory Cards [12 x 1 'XYZ']

Why got this the card name in, but not the others?
Why the 'x 1'? Looks ugly, is useless and also violates my understanding.
I would write either "12 Victory Cards [1 x 12 Each]" (following a general form) or "12 Victory Cards [12 x 'XYZ']"

I agree on the ugly factor, and would prefer to drop "XYZ", unless that is the "funny name" used for Victory Cards in this version, where in each other version/edition/etc they're referred to as Victory Cards.

Personally, I'd simplify it down to:
12 Victory Cards
or
12 Victory Cards [each unique]
12 Victory Cards [all same]
(as appropriate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.