Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game claims that most story's take 2 hours to complete, is this possible? It doesn't seem like it. We played with blue sun and had the story where we needed to have 10 fight for goal 1, 4 Nishka missions and solid status for goal 2 and 12000 for goal 3, after 5 hours we weren't near the end, there was at least another hour of game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played with Blue Sun which I'd imagine would make the game longer. Nishka missions also run slightly longer, but it is definitely possible to complete some of the missions in 2 hours. We've done it a few times by playing with 3 players (4 at a push), taking shopping actions as the rules suggest - out of turn or at least overlapping turns and by people having clear plans of what they want to do and not messing around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that scenario is one of if not the longest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many were in the group, and how familiar are you all with the game? Both are important questions to answer to gauge the likely play time of the game.

For two of us, we can knock out the basic $12,000 game in 70 minutes. I played that with a group (five of us, four new to the game) and it took four hours (including setup/teaching to be fair.) It took that long because I was sandbagging trying not to win as the experienced player (I still did, to bring the game to an end.) So I think that story should be ok for 30-40 mins per player.

Help each other out with card flips, pass the dino while you go shopping, it all helps.

Less moseying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As AAB notes, familiarity breeds speed.

Playing with another experienced player, I've done every story card from the original game (except Desperadoes) in under two hours, most in under 90 minutes.

I would say each additional person adds approximately 30 minutes to play time, so up to a 4-player game IS do-able (although 2.5 seems more likely( if everyone is familiar enough to have sense of where they're headed.

I can't speak much to BLUE SUN or even PIRATES & BOUNTY HUNTERS, but I would speculate that if you were looking for a formula, each major expansion might add up to 30-45 minutes to play time. YMMV: I've played games with PBH on the table but barely used that had virtually no impact on length of the game.

The key thing, though, is familiarity. Without that, game length will be dictated by how tentative the players are and by how many mis-steps them make getting where they're going.

Two resources that people tend to overlook:

1) The back cover of the rules book has a list of advice: take it. This is all good stuff.

2) The side of the box (in think the interior half) has a brief description of each Supply Planet, including indicators of what you'll find where. It's not as thorough as many of the player aids available in the Files section, but it will let you know that if you're looking for Firearms, you're wasting your time and Persephone and should head over to Silverhold....

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf_ripper wrote:
after 5 hours we weren't near the end, there was at least another hour of game play.

The game has a trap for newbie players: misbehaving with insufficient crew, which kills some of the crew you already have.

Digging your way out of that can take many hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
gf_ripper wrote:
after 5 hours we weren't near the end, there was at least another hour of game play.

The game has a trap for newbie players: misbehaving with insufficient crew, which kills some of the crew you already have.

+1.

This seems to be one of the biggest culprits behind "this game takes too long to play" in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
gf_ripper wrote:

My favorite advice was from one of the game designers. When asked why does the game take so long to play he replied, "You aren't playing to win."

This game is fun to just play. But if you are not laser-focused on winning you'll spend a lot of time building "dream" crews and buying gear that is "nice" to have and not particularly essential. This wastes time and money. So does playing timidly. Play ruthlessly and you'll find your game speeds up tremendously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
How many were in the group, and how familiar are you all with the game? Both are important questions to answer to gauge the likely play time of the game.

For two of us, we can knock out the basic $12,000 game in 70 minutes. I played that with a group (five of us, four new to the game) and it took four hours (including setup/teaching to be fair.) It took that long because I was sandbagging trying not to win as the experienced player (I still did, to bring the game to an end.) So I think that story should be ok for 30-40 mins per player.

Help each other out with card flips, pass the dino while you go shopping, it all helps.

Less moseying.

there was 3 of us, one had never played and two of us had once before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.