Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of history for you:

I have played countless games of Risk over the years, and enjoyed the games I've had to varying degrees. Lately I have found myself drawn into playing El Grande and Memoir 44; the only Risk I would ever, ever, suggest would be LOTR:Risk - and only ever lapping that game up when using House Rules, I might add.
Anyhow, back to the session:

"Let's play this"
I looked on, with palpable despair, as someone pulled out a copy of old Risk.
Yee gods and little fish! I thought, face draining of colour.
However, I dragged myself together and decided to put a positive spin on things in my mind. So I kept my mouth shut, never daring to utter geeky things like: "too much luck" and "dice-fest" or "let's butcher a game of Tigris and Euphrates."
"No," I told myself firmly. "Join in the fun, don't be a gaming nerd. These people are not gamers, they don't post session reports, log their game collections, rate games like Turn the Tide, these are normal people who have not discovered the cultish delights of BBG."
This might be fun after all!
So this is how I started a session of 6-player Risk, full of beans - pulling at the reigns for some old school war gaming with friends.
How you must be laughing at me now!
After choosing my colour - green - I fumbled to pick up my little green men, wondering why this edition had made them so ruddy small. Bring back the wooden cubes, I say! So after a lengthy setup of the teeniest, tiniest men imaginable, with tweezers, the 6 of us started the War of the World.
I will not bore you with the details, suffice to say that the downtime between each of my turns could have seen me whittle Mount Rushmore from a short length of driftwood.
On and on the game dragged. I couldn't bare to look at the board between turns, in fact I didn't much care what happened. Occasionaly, I was passed two black dice to defend myself with. Then something wonderful happened: I took South America. Nice.
Suddenly things got a tad exciting!
Here was my chance to win against all the odds. So I sat there, brooding, filling my section of the board slowly with troops. Mostly defending. Only attacking when I judged it was a safe bet.
By all the Holy Saints!
I saw that I could take this game. The other players had attacked each other mercilessly, stretching themselves very thin. I had been left alone because my forces were so large in a relatively small area.
"Attack!"
I seized the day. Swiftly my forces went east. I took a player straight out of the game. This is going rather well, I remember thinking.
"STOP!"
I looked up.
"That's it," someone said.
"Eh?" was my confused reply.
My host for the evening explained: "When one player is down we end the game," he said. "Saves people sitting out."
"Okay," I replied. "Then who wins?"
"That's easy. The player with the most regions; not you this game."
I clutched my head. "NO! I was doing so well. I would have played differently if I knew your house rules."
The host shrugged.
I'd been cheated of victory. Those cads!
Sour grapes, you might say. Do you know what made matters worse?
Let me enlighten you with what happened next: two of the other players had an equal number of regions left.
"A-ha!" I spat. "Who wins now?"
"That's real simple," answered the host.
"Pray tell."
"They roll a die. Highest roll wins the game. Simple."
"We should all have rolled dice at the beginning!" I fumed. "Would have saved time and energy on this pointless game."
So this was how I lost 2 hours of my life for which I will never get a refund, and how I stamped my feet like a little girl having a temper tantrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
"We should all have rolled dice at the beginning!" I fumed. "Would have saved time and energy on this pointless game."

WOW! What a bummer. Sounds like a gamer's nightmare! I can say, with no exaggeration and no shame, that I enjoy playing Chutes and Ladders or Candyland with my kids more than old-school Risk (especially with those lame and, even worse, undisclosed House Rules).

On a side note - I, too, think that LotR Risk is pretty good, but I prefer Godstorm, and am looking forward to playing 2210 - which I hear from some people is the best one yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That has to go down in history as one of the most odd house rules I've ever heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
They should of obviously told you before hand. They know it's their house rule, they know you haven't played with them before, they know you're about to eliminate a player from the game even though you don't have enough regions to claim victory.

Obviously the two players that were tied weren't about to say anything because the game was their's to win. Too bad everyone else wasn't smart enough to figure out, "Hey, maybe he doesn't know our rules that we made up and never told him about". Idiots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still grind my teeth over this gaming session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.