Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alec D.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I'm really interested in finding out more about this game. I find the theme fascinating and unusual, not to mention I'm a fan of Britannia. I'm looking forward to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Arms (who have had the game for MANY years) say they're publishing it in 2015.

It is not, however, a Britannia-like game.

Lew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they both end in IA so how different could they be?

Seriouslly though, any details? Intro? Mechanics? Anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help:

Germania
Number of Players: 2-5, though with more components 6 can play.

Recommended Ages: Adults or anyone who can act like an adult. A 12 year old could play, but it isn’t designed with 12 year olds in mind.

Play time for first play: Longer than below, but the learning curve is not steep, and there are relatively few decisions in a turn.

Play time for repeat plays (once players know the rules): Varies with length selected by players, generally about half hour per players (7.5 minutes/player/century.

Mechanical overview: summary of basic mechanics and interactions:
This is a “Euro-wargame”. In general, the game includes the following characteristics of “Euro” style games:
• Players have relatively few reasonable choices in each turn
• The only element of chance is in the draw of Event Cards
• Uncertainty of information
• No player elimination
• Intervals between playing ("down time") are short
• There are not many pieces--cards, counters, etc.--for a player to manipulate in a given turn
• Great visual interest

It uses points and an arbitrary game end, and is both symmetric and diceless, in common with many Euro-style games. It is designed for more than two players, though it can be played by two. A major objective of my Euro-wargames is to enable a player to win without directly attacking other player's position. (Indirect attacks, as via controlled neutrals or Event Cards, are OK.) A player should be able to win while staying at peace with other player nations. However, it will always be possible for others to attack a leader, so it will rarely be possible to stay at peace. (I have seen it happen in such games, however.) I also try to have several ways to improve your position / score VP, rather than simply thru conquest. This requires a zero-sum game. Players at peace will always be able to build up their positions (Euro) but have the option of trying to tear down other players' positions (wargame).

The game has always been playtested with 3D figures for the settlers, soldiers, and horse. Usually 3D have been used for improvements and towns as well. Other pieces generally flats.

The least expensive 3D pieces might be blocks of different sizes with stickers

Thematic overview: working title, overview of the setting of the game and theme encapsulated. Links to any art
or graphics that already exist or that inspired the game.
"Can your nation survive and thrive in the ruins of the Roman Empire?" In this "Euro-wargame" two to five players lead nations that have succeeded the Roman Empire, trying to settle new lands, defend what they have against other players and barbarian invasions, build improvements and even towns, all the while using Event Cards to bring down woe on their adversaries. The game can be played without directly attacking another player, though others will likely attack you (battle-card combat resolution). The player experiences the highs and lows of the predecessors of modern nations such as France, Italy, Germany, and Britain on a 17 by 22" map of western Europe.

It is about surviving the barbarians, and possibly building a civilization, but as with any Euro-wargame, while you prosper if you're at peace, other players may not allow that to occur. In this game the barbarians, temporarily controlled by players through the Event Cards, provide a big challenge even if the players are at peace directly.

Some players have likened the game to a civilization buiding game, though that was not an objective.

I use a minimum of art in prototypes (not regarding the board as art), though I do use 3D pieces where appropriate. If players like a relatively bare prototype, they'll like it even more with good art. A beautiful prototype is usually a sign that the designer has not devoted enough time to gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

pics?

Possible release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec D.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
This answer is more than I hoped for. I appreciate you listing this information for the community. I'm going to be purchasing this game as soon as it's available.

Thank You
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard anything new, Lew? I can find no mention of it on the CoA site, and BGG now lists it as a 2016 release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
2017 for certain and counting.
COA don't seem to have this anywhere their priority list

Sit tight it is going to be a very long wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
lewpuls wrote:
Clash of Arms (who have had the game for MANY years) say they're publishing it in 2015.

It is not, however, a Britannia-like game.

Lew

Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
- maybe its time to find another publisher, one that's willing to print the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Breen
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Lew or anyone else have any info on Germania - is there a (new?) publisher and what is the rough timescale to publication? There is still no mention of it on the Clash of Arms website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after having received the summer 2017 catalogue in ESSEN, it looks like GERMANIA will be sold through PSC which is a more and more dynamic company!
NO information about date, but very exciting new!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psc=?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSC = Plastic Soldier Company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.