Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned this the other day to Klutz as something that could be included in the Tribal Village, but I want to make sure it is not overpowered. The main goal is to make an upgrade tree more viable that has a tier that is worthless to a particular hero archetype.

My thought is to create a mission where the reward (or the mission itself) is a Vision Quest where the game effect is to exchange one upgrade for the other in order to better focus yourself on your heroes chosen path. Here is the wikinition that I am working with

A traditional Native American vision quest consists of a person spending one to four days and nights secluded in nature. This provides time for deep communion with the fundamental forces and spiritual energies of creation and self-identity. During this time of intense spiritual communication a person can receive profound insight into themselves and the world. This insight, typically in the form of a dream of Vision, relates directly to their purpose and destiny in life."

The result would be that you could trade any upgrade for another that is the same tier and available. For instance

The Rancher has invested in Marksmanship and has "Iron Concentration", "Rapid Reload", "Sharpshooter", and "Deadly Shot". Also she has "Dressed For Adventure".

Over the course of the game she has gotten a few mutations and could benefit greatly from Life Goes On. On finishing her Vision Quest she can exchange Sharpshooter for Life Goes On. At this point she has "Iron Concentration", "Rapid Reload", and "Deadly Shot". Furthermore she also has "Dressed For Adventure" and "Life Goes On".

The idea would be to allow you to skip over an underused tier. Look at the Rancher's toughness tree as a great example. In many party setups the Fisticuffs could be hardly ever used so you would be forced to take this tier that you hardly ever/never use just to complete the tree. The idea of the vision quest would be to allow a bit more customization of the upgrades by being able to choose an upgrade tree that may otherwise "waste" one of your 7 upgrades available.

I figure this would be the reward of a mission, but I want to make sure it is not overpowered. This would be available once per character and only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asurin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very cool idea. Even just swapping one upgrade for another valid upgrade would be very useful when you find that you have chosen a upgrade that isn't getting used the way you thought it would be or doesn't fit with the way you have grown the character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
I've assumed those weaker powers are speed bumps for better powers down the tree, so swapping them is something I'd be really careful with.

I think a straight respec would be good enough a reward for most missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would swapping to a lower level reduce any overpower effect

Again all my comments are not from game play but would day swapping a third tier for a second tier etc make it more "expensive"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apesamongus wrote:
I've assumed those weaker powers are speed bumps for better powers down the tree, so swapping them is something I'd be really careful with.

I think a straight respec would be good enough a reward for most missions.

I guess it may be overpowered, that's what Klutz mentioned the other day. My consideration for this was to make some combinations available that previously were not. I also thought that the variety in combat can get a little dull, and that it could be more interesting when you get some nice upgrade combinations.

The upshot of Vision Quest would be that you open up possibilities that were not feasible before. It seems like the relative weakness or strength of a power has little or nothing to do with tier. For instance if you do Vision Quest to get Forge Works, it is really hard to say it is a stronger ability than void enhancement. For most of my Ranchers it is not even as strong as iron concentration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.