Subject: Agricola: ACBS + Expansions Foamcore Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife and i really enjoy Agricola: ACBS. i'm frequently working to get her to play it. One of the barriers to starting up is the set-up / clean-up involved with pulling all of the components from baggies. With that in mind I set out to create a foamcore storage solution for this game that would store the base game & both expansions and would speed up set-up & take-down. i think I succeeded and put together this post to provide instructions on to recreate what i designed.

a few items of note:

1. this insert will accomodate Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small, Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small - More Buildings Big & Small, and Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small - Even More Buildings Big & Small

2. the stickers that i printed out and put on the tray bottoms were created from photos I took of the play board. Once this post is approved and up I'll request permission to post them; this typically hasn't been an issue for other publishers so I expect Zman will allow me to do this.

Update: The file page now contains a downloadable version of the stickers.

materials:

i use two types of foamcore for the majority of my solutions. one is the standard black 5 mm foamcore from Elmers. you can get this pretty much anywhere; it is very easy to find. the white foamcore board i use though is not 5 mm but 1/8 of an inch (or roughly 4mm). this is very important if you are trying to replicate this solution. the buildings tray was a tight squeeze and so I used 4 mm dividing walls to ensure I could fit both expansions. I also used the 1/8" foamcore on the tray bottoms. this isn't as critical. you could likely shorten the walls by a millimeter or so to compensate for the the taller tray bottoms.

1/8" foam core can be somewhat difficult to find. i have gotten it at Joann's before but I'm not able to find it on their website and when I've asked for help at any of my local stores, i've had little luck. I've also checked Michael's and as far as I can tell they never carry it. i have been able to find 1/8" foamcore at framing stores. this is the best way I can suggest to get a hold of it. there are several stores on line like this one that sell 1/8" white but you need to buy in larger quantities than most people will want to.

other than that everything i used is very easy to obtain: standard Elmers Glue, X-Acto Knives whose blades I change pretty regularly, some pins and a cutting mat. the stickers i made for the bottoms of the trays were printed out on clear label sheets at my local kinkos. where i have stickers on the outsides of walls, those were printed on white label sheets.

Solution Layout

given the size of the box, this solution does not have a master try in which all the other trays sit. it is a single level solution that is divided into 5 trays. I've made the walls mostly 30 mm all the way around with the exception of the animals tray which i'll explain later. in some cases this is taller than the walls really need to be but I did this so that once the farm expansions, player board, scorepad, rule books & game board are added to the box, it is full to the top. that way when the lid is closed the components are unlikely to shift. i tested this by inverting the box a few times once loaded and everything did stay in place.

my main focus in making this was to speed up set up and ease play of the game. nearly all of my decisions are influenced by this. for instance:

1. the base game & each expansion sit in different compartments. this is so you can easily decide to play base game or with one or two expansions. if you choose to include an expansion, it's tiles can be separately shuffled easily and the extra stall is right there on top to be added to your game pieces.

2. the borders are pre-separated into 3 trays - 1 tray for each player containing 9 borders each and a third tray which has the 8 borders used to track game rounds. the tray storing these is designed to be placed next to the board so you can easily remove one border per round to track your game (i have a photo below to better explain this)

3. the animals and components are in trays which you can position in the center of the table for easy access.

4. several of the trays are notched to allow the easy removal of components. in the 2nd page of the visio pdf i explain exactly how to measure and create these. the layout page of the visio pdf does not show where the notches are so if you are recreating this solution be sure to look through all the pages before starting.

Photos

this is the empty buildings tray. here you can see that the walls are notched in 5 places to allow for the easy removal of components. The green square stickers which may be a bit hard to see in this photo label the trays as for the base game or the expansion. all of the white walls that you see are the 1/8" inch or 4 mm walls. this was done to allow everything to fit. note that the notched walls on the base game tiles actually use 4mm walls on the outside.

Here's the animals tray. This is a single tray which is sub-divided into a quartet. The white walls here are again 1/8"/ 4 mm. You likely could get away with the 5 mm walls here but if you did you'd probably need to reposition them a bit. The sheep might be hard to fit if the tray were any smaller.

This is the resources tray. The shadows cast by tall walls make the stickers a bit hard to see here but from top to bottom the trays are for troughs, wood & iron. the portion of the "L" that sticks out is where the reed is stored.

Lastly, here are the two trays for the borders: one per player. The walls on these are taller than they need to be to store the components but I matched the height as mentioned above to create a tight fit once all components are in the box.

Finally here are all the trays loaded and set into the box. You'll note that the animals tray has slighter shorter walls. This is so that the scorepad can be stored within the box. You can get a look what that looks like here:

With that in place you can then load in the two player boards, the farm expansions (3 and then another 3 on top of those), the instruction booklets and finally the game board. if you load as described the fully load box looks like this:

the other little detail you are likely to have noticed is that i like to add colored stickers on the bottoms of the trays. in some cases these are really functional and help people put the game away. in all reality though, i mostly do them because i think they look nice and they are pretty fun to put together. i create them through a combination of images downloaded from the internet as well as photos i take of the components and then edit in GIMP. once i have them as i want them in GIMP, i export them to TIFF format & then use Open Office Draw to create a printable PDF. I print them on the stock 1-up transparent labels at kinkos.

for this solution I also added some stickers to the outside walls of trays to ensure that components are correctly sorted post play. on the buildings tray the stickers denote which expansion tiles go where during clean up and on the borders trays i put stickers on the side so that the correct number are put back in each tray after play. If you look back at the photo of the empty buildings tray above you'll also see a "x8" printed on the borders slot there.

Here's the game set-up and ready to go with the trays positioned as I use them when I play. Here you can see that the x8 borders tray is positioned right next to the game board spot where the borders are placed.

Closing

If anyone has any questions on this or there are some details I left out, feel free to GM me. In the links section below I've linked to the file page which contains a PDF of the visio document. I cannot upload the visio itself as it's against site rules. if it's helpful for someone to have and you don't mind providing me your email address I will email it to you.

File Links

File Page - contains PDF of Visio design & printable PDF of tray stickers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Zwicker
United States
Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you
that is a great job
i think i will try and recreate what you did as my first foam core job. This is a small game so would be great as a first time foam core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Awesome work. I already made one from another file here, but this one is cool. It'll take more knife expertise though!

The only problem I have is that after 95 games I ran out of scorecards long ago... (instead we have photocopied them onto a piece of paper with 8 on it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Zwicker
United States
Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you Colinmarsh for uploading the design of your foamcore. I had to make some tiny adjustments because my foarmcore was 5mm instead of 4. I also notched out the center of the animal area so i could place the score pad in flush. I used Washi tape to add some color. The sections holding the fences i color coded My wifes favorite color is Blue and Mine is Purple.

I was unable to add the images but i look forward to doing that next. I love it idea of images to remember where stuff goes.

Here is my project using Colinmarsh designs. (Thank again Colinmarsh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks fantastic, nice job. I've never heard of washi tape before but it looks really nice the way you used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Carvan
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for this Colin Marsh!

I've made a 3D printed version based on your design and uploaded it to thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1287312
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tob1k wrote:
Thanks for this Colin Marsh!

I've made a 3D printed version based on your design and uploaded it to thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1287312
thanks for telling me about this Toby. it looks amazing when 3-d printed. I noticed you were able to save space as the walls can be thinner then when done with foamcore. have you printed out other foamcore designed trays before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon & Steve
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This work for all pieces?

Mat Board Center, Pack of 25 8x10 1/8" White Foam Core Backing Boards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YL7NJC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_pGwP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1/8" thickness is what i use although these are only 8 by 10 inches. i think that would be ok for this insert but others i've made which are larger would require larger sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Carvan
Australia
flag msg tools
colinmarsh wrote:
I noticed you were able to save space as the walls can be thinner then when done with foamcore. have you printed out other foamcore designed trays before?
Thanks Colin- This was my first attempt at 3D printing a board game insert.

You can save quite a bit of space when 3D printing by using 2mm walls as you pointed out. I also added some circular cutouts for the workers, plus various other details that are hard to do with foamcore.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e2xgk8wk248hr3/Screenshot%202016-...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w56d2x5bf4o8a80/Screenshot%202016-...

But at the end of the day it was so time consuming designing and printing and prototyping, not to mention the cost of the filament compared to foamcore, that I'm not sure I would do it again.

I am very happy with the result in the end though. Maybe a hybrid approach would work out nice... 3d printed inserts for your foamcore inserts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your design, Colin. This was my first foamcore project and it was a lot of fun. I couldn't find any 4 mm boards, so I used 3 mm ones and adjusted the lengths accordingly. Interestingly enough, the tiles from MBBaS are slightly thicker than the tiles in EMBBaS in my German version, so I needed to store some of the tiles in the compartment of the base game. Apart from that, everything fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaya wrote:
Thank you for your design, Colin. This was my first foamcore project and it was a lot of fun. I couldn't find any 4 mm boards, so I used 3 mm ones and adjusted the lengths accordingly. Interestingly enough, the tiles from MBBaS are slightly thicker than the tiles in EMBBaS in my German version, so I needed to store some of the tiles in the compartment of the base game. Apart from that, everything fits.

looks great jaya. i'm glad the designed helped you. with the new edition out i didn't figure anyone would make this again. that said i love being able to have this whole game plus the expansions in a compact box. my wife and i still take this out to pubs sometimes - great game to travel with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls