Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Luck 'saving throw' for stamina loss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Saunders
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm playing solo and thought of trying the following variant:

when taking stamina loss in combat hero can make a luck roll - every success reduces stamina loss by 1

If using this rule, I also intend not to replace heros that die (as im playing solo this does not mean the game ends for me as i tend to run 4 investigators anyway)

If the rule works, i might tweak it so that certain characters roll another stat and not luck, but luck seems ok for the moment.

I've not thought too deep about it, but might also extend the rule to cover stamina loss via encounter cards etc.

All thought on this idea welcome :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not also allow such saving throws for sanity losses? Or item loses? Or any other losses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You started by saying you play solo, so I figured this was a variant to aid a (stupidly difficult and imbalanced) one-investigator game. But you're playing with four, so I don't think there's a need to make it any easier.

Luck already has a function: it gets checked more often than other stats during random encounters. If you give Luck this added bonus then I feel it's necessary to nerf it elsewhere, but trimming the encounter cards of some Luck cards will be really tedious and remove variety. That's where I'm coming from, at least.

The best suggestion I have is to interpret the word "luck" as liberally as you can. Sometimes it means "awareness of surroundings."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but I don't see any good result coming from a house rule like that, to be honest.

Being at risk of going to 0 stamina is part of the appealing tension of the game IMO. Being able to luck out of getting beat up takes that tension away.
It would also greatly favor gun-using combatants over spell-users, as the latter need to keep their Lore high.

steve23eris wrote:
If using this rule, I also intend not to replace heros that die

You do know that in order to 'die' (or in game terms: get devoured) you need to go to 0 sanity and 0 stamina at the same time (or because of a card effect), right?
Just going to 0 stamina only knocks you unconscious (= go to the hospital). So far in my games, seeing someone actually get devoured (before final battle) is pretty rare.

kungfro wrote:
The best suggestion I have is to interpret the word "luck" as liberally as you can. Sometimes it means "awareness of surroundings."

I always saw it more as Karma. That's why it's coupled to Lore: if you dabble in the occult, you upset the balance of nature/the universe. The old 'magic has it's own special price' thing in fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saunders
msg tools
Yes, some good points made - food for thought.

I think this has come about in some sort of effort by me to make the game more interesting, sadly i seem to be missing out on how great the game is :-(

But, a bit like the emperors new cloths, i just dont want to admit that anything is wrong, as i have brought all the expansions as well !

I just seem to find the game play repetitive - get clues,gate opens, go through gate, spend a couple of turns in another realm, come back, shut gate - repeat until you win or loose

Maybe its just not great solo :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
steve23eris wrote:

I think this has come about in some sort of effort by me to make the game more interesting, sadly i seem to be missing out on how great the game is :-(

But, a bit like the emperors new cloths, i just dont want to admit that anything is wrong, as i have brought all the expansions as well !

I just seem to find the game play repetitive - get clues,gate opens, go through gate, spend a couple of turns in another realm, come back, shut gate - repeat until you win or loose

I don't know about that. I play solo a lot when I am traveling (I use Vassal, not carrying all that stuff thousands of miles).

I find AH to be a really fun puzzle game, with lots of randomness thrown in to keep it from becoming repetitive.

I am not sure what kind of experience you re looking for. If you want to make it more of a role-playing experience, you will need more players.

I find 4 investigators to be the sweet spot for AH. So, if it is my GF and I, we each run 2 investigators. When I am flying solo, then I run all 4.

Should be plenty of variety to keep the game interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steve23eris wrote:

Steven,

No, no, no...I can tell you from someone who has played over 125 games solo that this game plays extremely well solo. Now, I've enjoyed dozens of games with others, but when folks aren't available for a multi-hour experience, AH works very well! Now, I've honestly been playing for more than five years, with every expansion, and have developed a well-balanced Variant which keeps things exceptionally interesting.

Someone earlier posted about "tension" and that's a great word to use, as it's something I discuss with game designers for whom I've worked as the Developer...without "tension" or with a greatly diminished "tension" the players aren't placed into the difficult decision-making process. They always have enough information, resources, etc. to make the best decision. Tension provides another element into what social scientists describe as the paradox of choice. You'll never know what lies beyond (the next Encounter card; the first encounter in the Other World, etc.)

Give it another chance...immerse yourself in the horror of it all.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steve23eris wrote:

Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear this.

Now Stephen, please excuse me if I'm assuming too much here, but are you reading all the card text when you play?

That in my experience is where the immersion is: the story that unfolds while you play. All the different bad (and sometimes good) things that happen to your guys while trying to keep an unspeakable evil at bay. All the different people they meet along the way, the weird objects they find to help them, the strange realms they visit...

You see, I've seen people before saying they skipped the story parts, but that would just be like playing an RPG video game and see it only as "walk around forever, kill another monster, find some item, go to next town".

To me personally, AH is about the journey so much more than the actual 'wanting to win' aspect. Nowadays I advertise it to people as "the game that's fun to lose".

Regardless, I find that playing with other people is awesome, sharing the adventure and all, but solo is great fun too. But you need to be in that "adventuring mood" if you will. Though thinking about it, that's true for all solo(-able) games I own.

That all said, I really hope my earlier comment did not bum you out too much. I was just trying to honestly give my thoughts on your proposed house rule.
Play whatever way is most fun for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saunders
msg tools
Hi all,

Thanks again for the replies, well, ive kept at it, but for some reason the game is still not 'working' for me.

I just find the whole run round and shut gates thing repetitive and a bit like whack a mole :-)

I fully expected to enjoy the game, ive been role playing for over 35 years as well as wargaming, and Call of C has always been a favourite of mine, so hence why i grabbed this and all the expansion, but alas, its not happening !

I now intend to take what i have in terms of game bits and build a variant that i enjoy - i shall start another thread with some ideas that im trying out and go from there.

Cheers all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.