7 Posts

Imperial Settlers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Royal Ra combo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Walsh
msg tools
badge
My gf and I were playing Egypt vs Japan the other week and an interesting rule question came up. I don't have the game in front of me, but I believe the card "Temple of RA" lets you take control of an opponents land? The Egyptians used this card to take control of one of the Japanese action cards, I don't recall which one but it allowed to take an action twice. The japanese action had already been taken twice.

Can the Egyptian player use the royal swimming pool to clear the card of resources and use it again? Can they use it twice? If the Egyptian player can use the action twice, do they need to spend two gold on the swimming pool AND the required resources on the card?

The disagreement at the time was that only one gold coin needed to be spent on the swimming pool as opposed for 2 for taking the action twice.

thanks for any input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each use of the Royal Swimming Pool clears all activation costs off of one card, allowing it to be reactivated. If you cleared a Castle, for example, you would pay 1 gold to be able to send 2 workers for 2 cards.

So, you would have an Egyptian-owned Japanese location which is a legal target for Temple of Ra and can be activated twice. If you were to pay 1 gold, it would clear and you could use it twice. If you paid another gold (for Royal Swimming Pool's second activation) you would clear the location again and could use it a third and fourth time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Walsh
msg tools
badge
oh wow, so i did read it wrong!? ughhh i don't want to tell my gf that lol.

So just to verify, you only need to spend one gold coin on the swimming pool, and that will clear the card allowing you to do the same action (if the card states you can) twice. You can then use the swimming pool again (by spending a 2nd gold coin), since that is a double action card...and go after the same card...thus giving you 4 card draws with an opponents castle or 6 if it was yours to begin with. WOW, that is so epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Note that it does take an additional action to use the temple, so you could do like

Action 1: Castle x2
Action 2: Temple of Ra => Castle
Action 3: Castle x2
Action 4: Temple of Ra 2nd => Castle
Action 5: Castle
Action 6: Castle 2nd

And it would be perfectly reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Walsh
msg tools
badge
thanks for the quick reply!
That really clears things up for me. If the faction i'm playing can take out opponents faction cards, that pool is going down asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good idea indeed. I thought the combo was strong, but I did not thought it was this strong. Especially if you have multiple swimming pools. One can reset the other until you ran out of gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Egyptians, gold is your most important resource. It often sounds good on paper, but it is never worth trying to clear everything - you're better off just spending the gold for points and only clearing what you really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.