Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I did make an effort to find this.

Is there, anywhere, a detailed list of instructions or flowchart for setting up the game? The reasons I ask are as follows...

As has been pointed out in other threads, some of the ships in PBH are better suited for certain stories than others. You are supposed to choose ships/captains first and then choose the story card, but this can inadvertently help/hinder a player who didn't choose a firefly.

Who actually chooses the story card? I completely understand that choosing captains before the story card is meant to offset start player advantage. However, similar to above, I can see arguments breaking out that you can't choose story card X because it will be too easy for Joe or too hard for Jane because of the starting setup they chose. If you choose the story card first (which we usually do) is there an alternate way to offset start player advantage?

Haven's make the setup more complicated. You don't choose a Haven as part of your setup unless its on the story card, but the story card doesn't say what order you choose Haven's in. I've seen it suggested that you select Haven's in reverse player order (same way you choose starting location), but I've not seen this answered officially.

Some story cards call for piracy jobs to be immediately placed in the discard pile for the respective contacts. Is that before or after players get to look at their initial selection of jobs?

Are there any other fun quirks I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this in the files section... may be of some help...
http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_download.php?filetype=appli...

Also this...
http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_download.php?filetype=appli...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Who actually chooses the story card? I completely understand that choosing captains before the story card is meant to offset start player advantage. However, similar to above, I can see arguments breaking out that you can't choose story card X because it will be too easy for Joe or too hard for Jane because of the starting setup they chose. If you choose the story card first (which we usually do) is there an alternate way to offset start player advantage?

This is left to the players. Random draw is what we usually do. Sometimes, if we know we have specific time limits, or a scenario we know is a lot of fun we'll choose one. We generally do this BEFORE the game starts for just the reasons you outline but we do not allow players to examine the story card in detail until the "Choose a story card" part of setup.

davypi wrote:
Haven's make the setup more complicated. You don't choose a Haven as part of your setup unless its on the story card, but the story card doesn't say what order you choose Haven's in. I've seen it suggested that you select Haven's in reverse player order (same way you choose starting location), but I've not seen this answered officially.

From the P&BH Ruleboook pg. 14:
Choosing Havens wrote:

During Set-Up, after choosing Leaders, players place their Haven tokens instead of placing their ships. Haven tokens must be placed in sectors containing planets but may not be placed at Supply or Contact planets. Players may not place their Haven token in a Sector that is already another player’s Haven. Unless otherwise noted, players’ ships start at their Haven.

Quote:
Some story cards call for piracy jobs to be immediately placed in the discard pile for the respective contacts. Is that before or after players get to look at their initial selection of jobs?

I am doing this from memory, but I believe it is stated on the story card that this is done AFTER initial jobs are drawn, during "prime the pumps".

The best guide I've seen is the "Set-up Card" mechanic that was introduced in Blue Sun. They created a standard set-up card just for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing Havens wrote:

During Set-Up, after choosing Leaders, players place their Haven tokens instead of placing their ships. Haven tokens must be placed in sectors containing planets but may not be placed at Supply or Contact planets. Players may not place their Haven token in a Sector that is already another player’s Haven. Unless otherwise noted, players’ ships start at their Haven.

Yes, I remember reading this now, but it still poses a contradiction. This effectively tells you to place Haven tokens before choosing the scenario, but you don't know if you have Havens in the game until the scenario is chosen.

Quote:
The best guide I've seen is the "Set-up Card" mechanic that was introduced in Blue Sun. They created a standard set-up card just for that.

I know somebody who has Blue Sun, but I don't have it myself. On step six, do you not pull jobs from the two new contacts as well as the original five? If not, do you do anything to prime those decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Choosing Havens wrote:

Yes, I remember reading this now, but it still poses a contradiction. This effectively tells you to place Haven tokens before choosing the scenario, but you don't know if you have Havens in the game until the scenario is chosen.

Part of the problem is that they have put the "place ships" part in with the "choose leaders" part.
It works within the spirit of the rules if you:
1) Choose ships and leaders based on your die roll.
2) Choose a story card (based on which ships you want to play).
3) Place ships according to the rules or according to the story (which can override the rules).

davypi wrote:
Quote:

I know somebody who has Blue Sun, but I don't have it myself. On step six, do you not pull jobs from the two new contacts as well as the original five? If not, do you do anything to prime those decks?

No, you do not prime those decks. Nor do you draw any jobs from them to start. You have to fly to them to get the first jobs from their decks. We usually short-cut this by starting on either Meridian or Mr. Universe's base (unless we have to place a haven).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.