United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Find me on the Pirates CSG VASSAL module
badge
It's a Pirates' Life for me!
mbmbmbmbmb
12/22/14: The next three game series will pit UPS v. 2.0 against the Extra Action Gold Runners fleet. I was only able to play the first game of the series just now. Again, if you haven't checked out those fleets yet I suggest you do so. The links are below.

UPS v. 2.0

The Lache de Calvados is a proxy for the Intrepide and the Rover is being used instead of Favor of the Gods.

Extra Action Gold Runners

The Swift is a proxy for the Star of Siam.

Turn 1:
UPS (v. 2.0) went first. The Hai Peng was Hidden Cove'd to the middle wild island and found Screu Engine which was left behind. A 2 coin was traded via CJS/Intrepide/Aristide (you know the deal by now) and the Pirates were in business with 4 gold. At the next island the Hai Peng found both Turtles and Homing Beacon, making the EA Runners fleet look bad by finding their UT's before they even left home! Paradis de la Mer was built on this second island. The Rover sailed towards the middle island.

For the EA Runners fleet, all three (counting Vaccaro's reroll) of the EA rolls failed and therefore the Star of Siam and Joya del Sol were unable to reach islands.

Turn 2:
Turn 2 was incredibly predictable. Thanks to darrin's comprehensive fleet description I was able to follow his instructions to a tee:

[quote="darrin"]Second Turn
1. Move the Hai Peng away and then re-dock at the same island with your first fort. Send another coin to L'Intrepide.
2. As a free action, swap Maurice Aristide back onto L'Intrepide and put another oarsman on Le Coeur de Lion.
3. Use an explore action to unload L'Intrepide's coin for +2 gold.
4. Sacrifice an oarsman to Jimmy Legs, load the traded oarsman as a free action, and move back to the first island you explored. Send another coin to Le Coeur de Lion.
5. As a free action, move Maurice Aristide to Le Coeur de Lion.
6. Use an explore action to unload Le Coeur de Lion's coin for +2 gold.
7. Build a second fort at the island where Hai Peng is docked.[/quote]

Dead Man's Point was built on the middle wild island.

The EA Runners were luckier than on their first turn with the Joya getting an extra action from Castro without having to reroll. The Joya explored the northeastern island and found 10 gold (the UT's required the EA fleet to put a 7, a 6 and a 2 into the treasure mix), then turned around and made it halfway home.

Turn 3:
Because the gold in forts doesn't technically count towards victory anymore the UPS fleet would have to make do. The Hai Peng traded another 2 (4 after Aristide) to her HI, leaving the Pirates with 12 gold total on their HI. The Hai Peng then went back to Paradis and loaded both 2's for 4 gold total. At this point there were no more oarsmen left on the HI for which to trade to the Hai Peng. The Rover had meanwhile picked up a 2 from Dead Man's Point and was sailing home with it.

For the EA fleet, all 3 rolls failed once again. The Joya del Sol docked home 10 gold to narrow the score to 12-10 in favor of UPS. In the meantime the Algeciras had approached the Rover and managed to get her 3L gun in range, but she missed (this was the only shot fired in the game).

Turn 4:
The Hai Peng simply raced home and sacced Cotton (the helmsman) to make it the whole way. She unloaded her cargo of 4 gold to give UPS the 16-10 victory!

Observations: This UPS fleet is obscenely complicated and involved, not to mention FAST. I'd like to congratulate darrin for making such a well-thought-out fleet. It really is interesting to play. I had to look at the fleet description to know what I was supposed to do with all the crew and treasure transfers! What really struck me was how long the turn takes. With the Hai Peng doing so much and getting the two ships at the HI involved, the UPS turns took FAR longer than any normal turn for other fleets, including the EA fleet.

It's funky to do so much with crew. I started to get confused as to how many crew and points I was supposed to fit on the Hai Peng and which oarsmen were supposed to be on the Intrepide vs. the Coeur. Then the crew ran out! Jimmy Legs and Aristide just make things even more interesting. The explorer is a good candidate to be sacced because after the first turn you really don't need him since you've already explored the two islands you need to hit.

The next two games in this series will be played tomorrow (12/23).

Additional Comment:

12/23/14: I've played the last two games of the series between UPS v. 2.0 and Extra Action Gold Runners.

Game 2:
The EA Runners fleet went first in both games. The Joya del Sol got the EA from Castro and was able to explore a nearby wild island, finding 6 gold and Turtles.

The Hai Peng was Hidden Cove'd to a wild island where she found Homing Beacon, Cross of Coronado, and Screu Engine along with just one 2-gold coin. After trading this to the Intrepide she sacced to the next island and found the 7, sending it home and using the +2'd first coin to build Paradis de la Mer (I feel like this fleet makes a verb out of everything). This left 9 total gold on UPS's HI (7 + 2).

On the second turn the EA fleet failed to get any extra actions and was relegated to sailing to and from islands at S+S+S, quite slow in a game like this haha.

Since the Hai Peng knew there was no point in going back to the first island with only UT's, she redocked twice at Paradis on the second turn, sending home 4 gold total. This was upped to 8 via Aristide and it gave the Pirates a 17-0 victory!

At the end of the first turn the Hai Peng had loaded Homing Beacon, which UPS considered using because the first island was mostly a dud and they couldn't send coins home from it. The Hai Peng would load two coins from the second island (Paradis), teleport home via the Beacon, then sac an oarsman to catapult to a new island that the Star of Siam had just docked at but not explored. However, it was easier to just use Captain Jack Sparrow and send home two coins from Paradis, upon which Aristide doubled their values and gave UPS enough gold to win. Also, although it was a shutout for UPS, the EA fleet had 6 gold on the Joya and all 10 Turtles approaching their HI.

Game 3:
The Joya del Sol got an EA from Castro on the first turn and found 17 gold on one island! She found the 7 and 6 that her fleet had contributed as well as two 2's.

The Hai Peng traded back 2 gold as normal, but due to the island setup she wasn't able to reach a second island. Their HI was the middle island and the Joya's island and the EA fleet's HI were the only islands she could have gotten to.

The island setup proved irrelevant on the second turn when the Joya got another EA and docked home her 17 gold to win the game for the EA Runners!

This third game was the fastest of the three and proved that even UPS v. 2.0 can be beat by a ship using extra actions that happened to get very lucky with the gold. It also made me think of the "more than half the starting gold" rule for two player games, which really does make things a bit boring and predictable. These games are meant to use the official rules (which actually help these particular fleets, especially UPS), but it would be interesting to see what would happen if the treasure was more random and it was kept face down on home islands.

Conclusion: UPS v. 2.0 beats EA Gold Runners 2 games to 1. The third game was a bit of a fluke because the Joya found 17 gold on one island and the UPS HI was in a bad spot. I would say that this version of UPS is better than the original fleet because of Jimmy Legs. The Longshanks didn't really do a lot anyway and this Hai Peng is so fast and active it's kind of scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've sometimes done to make HI placement less of an issue is to use a symmetrical layout.

BTW, have you tried using the Pot Carribean set? Calypso and the Wicked Wench can give gold-runners fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
One thing I've sometimes done to make HI placement less of an issue is to use a symmetrical layout.

BTW, have you tried using the Pot Carribean set? Calypso and the Wicked Wench can give gold-runners fits.

Funny you mention that because I remember doing island setups like that a few years ago. The problem becomes when the HI's are chosen to be on the end corners of the shape. Everybody just runs gold from the two nearest islands and runs back home. Even if the HI's are in the middle there's a possibility that each fleet will sail in the opposite direction. It all depends on which fleets are being used. I've personally found that placing islands within 2L or 1L of each other (rather than the 3L that the rules suggest) is one of the best ways to increase the intensity and excitement of the game. It also makes the game shorter, which can be a good thing. However, for these games I wanted to use the standard rules to give a good indication of which fleet is actually better without using custom rules and/or house rules.

I really like the Caribbean set but it's actually the set I have the least amount of stuff from (along with Savage Shores). I love the Endeavour and obviously I've been using the Hai Peng. I have Calypso but I still haven't used her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the Endeavor is mean....

Maybe do a scenario where they're at the 3-line vertices? thus forcing the players to compete for the two center islands.

Scenarios are something that came along late in the game and made for a fun variant.

Deathmatchs are kinda fun. Although Deathmatches vs Eternal or ghost ships are awkward.

The sunken galleon scenario was amusing. You put a big ship in the middle of the board, and all the gold is on it. It's more or less treated as an island. The winner is whoever has the most gold when there is no more left to grab. Also, there's only a few turns to grab gold. This one was interesting since it seems to favor gold-runners at first glance. BUT, since everyone is going to the same spot, there's a high chance of violence.

there's been a few others. I remember one where there were no home islands and it was setup like a race track, you have a starting point a circular course to travel and the winner is whoever gets back to start first. But you have to stop at each of the other islands in sequence to pick up a bit of treasure along the way. I don't remember if that one had shooting allowed.

I came up with a kinda silly giant whirlpool scenario. You setup the board... mostly as usual, except that it only has one whirlpool to start. Then, each turn, you add another touching the first, so that it gets bigger each player turn. Oh and it's a whirlpool of death. you don't want to touch it.... The objective is pretty typical, collect more gold than everyone else. In hind sight Cursed had a slight advantage since they could force their enemies into the maelstrom of death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah scenarios are great! There's so many I haven't been able to play a lot of them. I did do a big game with 8 scenarios/variations all combined into one game!

Battle Report from 5/19/2013 wrote:
Another game will probably start tomorrow, one involving multiple scenarios from a link on Boardgamegeek. There will be a total of 8 scenarios used in this large game, which will feature 4 150 point fleets, with the English, Pirates, Spanish, and French participating. The 8 scenarios are Bermuda Triangle, Colonists of Catan, Shipwreck Graveyard, The Midas Touch, Paradise Island, The Other World, Rain Squalls, and Treasure Island II. Both Paradise Island and the island with the Catan gold will be in the Other World. I'm going to use fog banks for the rain squalls, and move them like icebergs. The Midas Doubloon will be a 7 instead of a 6 so that it will be the highest value treasure coin in the game.

The report for that game is towards the top of this page.

I heard about BootStrapBill and CC Mike doing race-type scenarios a while back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tinkered with controller fleets, mostly in games with plenty of reefs and seaweed. It's fun to push enemies into stuff that'll either kill them or snare them. It's pretty much a Cursed gimmick, but can be useful.

Hunh... I'm somehow still logged in to Pojo? wow, I haven't been there a while. Oh and apparently you have a different page size setting than me. The post you tried to link is #54. I see it as halfway down on page 4. No idea why my settings are 15 per page and yours 25, but it's no big deal.

The link you have in the Pojo post for the scenario rules you used is invalid, what were they exactly?

Either way it sounds like you had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I've tinkered with controller fleets, mostly in games with plenty of reefs and seaweed. It's fun to push enemies into stuff that'll either kill them or snare them. It's pretty much a Cursed gimmick, but can be useful.

Check out this fleet! The description is a bit intimidating but it's one of my favourite fleets I've ever created.

marhawkman wrote:
The link you have in the Pojo post for the scenario rules you used is invalid, what were they exactly?

Either way it sounds like you had fun.

I fixed the link, and yes, it was quite fun! I found this under Files.

I didn't bother linking to the actual post on Pojo since it took up two different posts and because it started halfway down a post in the first place. I don't like how Pojo automerges your posts but I don't know a way around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on the good side, Pojo treats it as if it took your OLD post and merged it into your new post. Thus it marks it unread and moves it to the top of the forum for others.

Nice fleet! I did note that you were using two crew with "limit" though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Nice fleet! I did note that you were using two crew with "limit" though.

Darn! I'll have to edit it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 645507. a7xfanben
  • 1d100 =
  • (2) =
  • Mon Jan 5, 2015 12:57 am
  • [+]
  • 645508. a7xfanben
  • 1d8 =
  • (2) =
  • [+]
  • 645509. a7xfanben
  • 1d12 =
  • (7) =
  • [+]
  • 976762. a7xfanben
  • 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d20 + 1d100 + 1d100 + 1d100 + 1d10 + 1d10 + 1d12 + 1d12 + 1d12 + 1d8 + 1d8 + 1d8 =
  • (20) + (14) + (19) + (11) + (6) + (14) + (18) + (19) + (15) + (71) + (54) + (37) + (5) + (7) + (3) + (12) + (10) + (4) + (6) + (1) =
  • Sat Nov 5, 2016 4:23 am
  • [+]
  • 976763. a7xfanben
  • 1d100 + 1d100 =
  • (78) + (76) =
  • Sat Nov 5, 2016 4:23 am
  • [+]
  • 976764. a7xfanben
  • 1d100 =
  • (48) =
  • Sat Nov 5, 2016 4:24 am
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have sometimes used a house rule that says that Limit is 1 per X points. With X being somewhere around 40 to 60. We sometimes had build total as high as 120 or 200 for matches. Why? well... some ships have a cost, just for the hull itself mind you, of 35(the 10-mast cursed ship). Using one of those with a build total of 40 is near impossible. The other 5 points is just barely enough for the named crew that goes with it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Well, I have sometimes used a house rule that says that Limit is 1 per X points. With X being somewhere around 40 to 60. We sometimes had build total as high as 120 or 200 for matches. Why? well... some ships have a cost, just for the hull itself mind you, of 35(the 10-mast cursed ship). Using one of those with a build total of 40 is near impossible. The other 5 points is just barely enough for the named crew that goes with it....

Yeah the Limit keyword is one I often forget about - I like that house rule you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.