Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello,

i want to try this game. What should I buy first to begin playing?

Billy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the faction Starter decks. After a few games with that, you'll want to purchase the same faction's Reinforcement deck.

Then, just play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I's say any of the Starter decks, except possibly Battleground Fantasy Warfare: Umenzi Tribesmen (who are a bit weird), Battleground Fantasy Warfare: Undead Army (skeletons are too weak, and have been errata-ed) or Battleground Fantasy Warfare: Dark Elves (which... er... don't have a Starter deck, being both decks in one box...)

All the Starter decks contain sufficient units to play two decent armies against one another, straight from the one deck, so you really only need one to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Think I will do this

Battleground: Fantasy Warfare - Monsters & Mercenaries Starter Deck

Will this work for my first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd forgotten about Monsters & Mercs. It will work, but it's a strange mixed deck, unlike the others, and has a load of high-value units and few low-value ones, as I recall.

EDIT: Yes, I checked, the two armies listed are a bunch of Orcs & Wildmen vs. a very mixed and much more magical force of some Half-Orcs, Wildmenn, Ogres, and an Elementalist group with their own pet Elemental...

So, one fairly mundane but solid army vs. one very magical one. They're point balanced, and both get 6 units, but they'll play very differently. Which could be a good thing.

Major issue will be in fielding bigger armies, as this deck isn't meant to be used in itself, but rather as reinforcements for another army - so if you want bigger armies than the 1500 point starter armies, they'll start to be a real oddball collection! However, if you buy another deck, this one will give that army some stiff competition, and some nasty reinforcements...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks! So buy this and then another starter race and I will have a good start?

FYI I have never played a miniature game before either. I assume I will need to buy dice

Billy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six or so d6 should be fine, although more means you won't have to be passing them around all the time.

I've found a tape measure helps as well, to figure out closest units.

You'll also want whiteboard markers, to mark orders and damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need dice, standard D6, I think up to a half-dozen at any one roll will suffice. You will also need a dry erase marker, like a whiteboard pen.

I would also recommend some glossy card sleeves, transparent both sides. You can certainly do without, the cards are designed to be glossy enough to directly track damage & orders on the cards, and it does work fine, barring on some of the oldest printed cards (I have one single Ravenswood Elf card with a remnant of their last order still visible). Standard 3.5"x2.5" sleeves - they do need to be transparent both sides, as the unit stats are on the back! You'll only need a half dozen or so a side until you get to the really big armies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is there a core set? A rulebook? Are the rules contained in the faction starter decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vase wrote:
Is there a core set? A rulebook? Are the rules contained in the faction starter decks?

There's a rulebook online, at https://www.yourmovegames.com/rules .

There are rulebooks in the decks (basic in the starters, advanced in the expansions), but most of them are downlevel anyway. Minor tweaks, but no reason not to start with the latest online rules.

On core sets: any faction starter can function as a "core set", so pick a pair that you like. I wouldn't bother with Kingdoms until you have several games under your belt. (To be honest, I've never actually played the campaign stuff in Kingdoms, so it is hardly necessary to enjoy a great many games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.