Subject: Robert Anton Wilson needs our help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim
United States
Darien
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
http://www.rushkoff.com/2006/10/robert-anton-wilson-needs-ou...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Note to self: Write cult classic book, plead for charity, sit back and laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you're in the hospice I'll laugh too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You'll have to excuse my skepticism. The internet once and a while has these things called 'scams.' Not to say that this is one, but nevertheless it seems like a good idea for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to excuse my lack of remorse for not excusing your skepticism. Scamdar is a lot like gaydar, except that depending upon which way you're relying on it when it fails, the only thing likely to get penetrated is your wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You'll have to excuse my lack of care over your lack of remorse for my... Wait, did you just make a butt joke?

Hmm... Well done, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've got tens of thousands of dollars in unsecured debt if anyone cares to donate to the cause. I've written one or two slightly amusing things on the geek.

I have compassion for all down on their luck, but people reap what they sow and the fact that he wrote a few bucks doesn't entitle him to a special amount of charity. If you're looking for people to help there are undoubtedly tons of local community organizations in need of your dollars or, even more so, your time.

Donate to this if you like, of course, but true charity begins at home.

(and I really rather doubt this is a scam)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I've got tens of thousands of dollars in unsecured debt if anyone cares to donate to the cause. I've written one or two slightly amusing things on the geek.

Okay, when you're dying and broke I'll contribute to your financial wellbeing in a manner commensurate with your contributions to the culture--which is to say, my charity will begin at my home and once or twice slightly feel the unrequited need to visit you at yours.

It's great that people are worried that other people's charity be directed in what they consider to be valid justifiable ways. Just yesterday, Sally Struthers dropped by to tell me that she thinks you're a cheap prick who wastes his money on boardgames and ISP charges while children are starving down the street. I told her she was a has-been, and she pulled a Glock 9 out of her pocketbook and opened fire. Jerry Lewis and a gang of MD-kids drove by in a '55 Chevy convertible, let loose with a barrage of seltzer-balloons, and nailed Sally right in her fat face. Rob Reiner ran out to make sure she was okay, but the years of easy living took their proverbial toll (there's a reason they're called "tollhouse" cookies, Rob!) and he stroked out about three feet before he reached her. Meanwhile, the United Way continues to employ illegitimate Third World Thalidimide babies to stuff envelopes, and the Red Cross continues to smuggle Sudoku to terrorists. I hope that whomever is fluffing Robert Anton Wilson's pillows can make it on the two Pop-Tarts per year for which these online donations provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United States
Darien
Wisconsin
flag msg tools

Chances are if you read books you have been influenced by this man's mind. Great thoughts should be rewarded as much as great deeds or other accomplishments. Anybody familiar with Mr. Wilson would be aware that he has done infintely more than " wrote a few books".

If you don't feel the need to contribute thats fine but don't take shots at a dying man. There is no scam here.

As for "reaping what you sow" i've always wondered how that applies to babies born with aids or addicted to crack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Whoa whoa whoa. Now hold on a minute. I don't think anyone was "taking parting shots at a dying man" (except for maybe Koldfoot, but you have to expect that).

Geez, ya’ make one joke that tangently relates to the generosity of geeks and a cult author shuffling off his mortal coil and good God...

Look if I had more money I'd probably give some to the guy. Then I'd buy off Sally Struthers, Jerry Lewis and his army of children, Rob Reiner and his army of Hostess Twinkie maids, purchase my own illegitimate Third World Thalidimide babies to stuff my own personal envelopes, acquire Mister Cranky some candy and hookers, and start buying FLGS.

There.

With that said, I sincerely hope Mr. Wilson gains back his health and financial well being. The generosity of geeks everywhere is very admirable (and apparently not to be ridiculed). Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Simon, knock it off. We're beating on Eddie now. I mean, the guy's not truly even capable of spelling "book", so how can we be sure he's ever read any? As to why he's getting beaten--it's just fun. Somebody posts a link to information that Robert Anton Wilson needs some financial aid. People here at the Geek who might care to help Mr. Wilson are presumably sufficiently capable of deciding for themselves in what measure this assistance is possible, yet, like clockwork, the wooden soldiers start to line up to explain what "true" charity is, and who deserves what from whom. Let me join the rank and file of clacking boots on the shelves and say that true charity needs no explanations, and it seeks its level just like water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
MisterCranky wrote:
Okay, when you're dying and broke ..

We're all dying, Josh, and the point is I *am* broke. My mispelling of book aside, I think I was advocating some general sentiment and wasn't really criticizing giving this guy a few dollars if you're moved to do so, so I have no idea why you're barking at me. I just find that a lot of successful folks are taken in by the occasional appeal for help and feel like they've made some big investment in karma when their community is surrounded by poverty. Hello those people, wakey wakey.

But on top of that, I think it is a bit rude of you to imply we're insentitive to anothers pain if we discuss this event from a removed distance here, on an unrelated site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my GOD! You didn't think I was actually going to give this guy any money, did you? I'm sorry you're broke. I know the feeling. Been there, done that. Hey, I like the books and everything, but I throw out solicitations on a regular basis, and that's essentially what I did with this one. If I can call Sally a has-been, I can call RAW a has-been too! Not that I would. Hell, I didn't really even call Sally one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stolen from the man's website:

Quote:
RAW Bedside Update
October 4, 2006

Donations have poured in since friends of Bob Wilson got the word out that he could use some help with steep healthcare costs (Donation link above). Thank you so much for your generosity! Bob requires 24 hour care and this kindly swarm of donations has enabled Bob to receive the care he (and everyone!) deserves.

Bob is not one for the begging bowl. He would rather that fans wishing to help out simply buy his wares. But his friends, understanding the potential financial strain of Bob's needs, set up the Friends of Robert Anton Wilson relief fund, and your response has been astounding. Bob "is" presently cheerful, without pain and ceaselessly optimistic.

Here's a quick history of Robert Anton Wilson's scenario. Bob has post-polio syndrome which has severely damaged his legs and weakened his body. He had a hard fall in June of this year which landed him in the hospital. He has since not been able to walk and is thus confined to his bed (overlooking beautiful Monterey Bay fnord), requiring 24 hour care. Due to Bob's acute weakness in June and July, many of his family and friends felt that Bob could go at any time. He has since rallied slowly with up's and down's, and like most things, his condition seems in the maybe state. Bob has no pain, has a hearty appetite, is in steady good, sharp humor, is surrounded by family and friends, and feels he shows signs of slow recovery. Praise Bob! All hail Eris!

Since reading that he's feeling a bit better I've sent the man a few bucks. Now that he may be around to spend them I felt less need to hang on to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who the hell doesn't manipulate the internet and media whenever they get the chance? You make that sound like you think it's a BAD thing. Why is that crap out there if not to be manipulated. Dammit, Koldfoot, I thought we were in agreement on this sort of thing. Now I come to find that you may actually have cold feet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.