Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Hey Guys,

I just played my first match and i have some (beginner) questions.

Is it really meant to be, that each player draws unit/manoever cards of both sides ?
For example the SP draws elven-unit/manoever cards. What should he do with them than throw them of his hand?

I have to admit that i do not fully understand the purpose of the unit cards.
I played many War of the ring games. But are the unit-cards meant to stay in game once i draw them (like a unlockable unit-upgrade/technology) or are they played only once as manoever cards, whenever the unit/terrain matches?

How would i know the fighting strength of a specific unit type without drawing these specific unit-type-card?

The whole card-thing is kinda confusing

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Although the unit cards have the same back as the event card decks they are not mixed in with those cards.

Each side keeps those cards in their play area and adds the appropriate cards to their hand when they have a combat. So if the Free peoples player has and army with Dwarf Veteran Units and Lake-men units in it, he would add the Dwarf Veteran Unit maneuver card to his hand as well as the Lake-men maneuver card to his hand. When it came time to play his card for that combat he could use either one of those two cards, or some other generic event card that he had earlier drawn from the event deck. That's why they have the same back, so the opponent doesn't know which you are playing.

The cards can be reused in later combats and are not discarded to the event deck but returned to the players side after each combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the unit maneuver cards are meant to be held off to the side of the respective player and added to your "combat" hand when engaging in combat with specific units. The SP should never have the FP maneuver cards in their hand. When you are making a combat hand, you will take the maneuver cards in your hand with any other event cards you may have drawn. They also don't count towards your hand limit.

You will always have Regroup maneuver card in your combat hand.

The fighting strength is number of units x number of die each unit can bring to battle. (indicated on their respective maneuver card) usually 1 or 2. You will have a maximum of 5 battle dice.

When not in battle your maneuver cards are set aside on the players respective side of the table.

Terrain favor-ability is also indicated on each maneuver cards.

hope that helps..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
reissdorf wrote:
Is it really meant to be, that each player draws unit/manoever cards of both sides ?
For example the SP draws elven-unit/manoever cards. What should he do with them than throw them of his hand?

No, that should never happen. Are you shuffling the unit and maneuver cards into the event deck? Don't. The event deck should only consist of the 30 cards that are biege on both the front and back (event cards). The beige backed cards that are red or blue on the front (unit and maneuver cards) are used for reference and combat, and should be placed face up in front of the players when not in use.

reissdorf wrote:
I have to admit that i do not fully understand the purpose of the unit cards.
I played many War of the ring games. But are the unit-cards meant to stay in game once i draw them (like a unlockable unit-upgrade/technology) or are they played only once as manoever cards, whenever the unit/terrain matches?

Unlike WotR, BoFA has players play a card every round of combat. The unit and maneuver cards are just cards that are available to be used depending on the context of the battle.

reissdorf wrote:
How would i know the fighting strength of a specific unit type without drawing these specific unit-type-card?

See previous answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Hey guys, thanks for the detailed answers! That made very much clear
I've just had the second game and everything went a lot smoother

However, some questions still appeared and i hope it's ok to post them here instead of opening a new thread.

1. Bolg and "Captain of war"
The SP played 'captain of war' with an army containing bolg and NO leadership marker. Does he have to remove bolg?
I think it depends on wether the effect is meant to be optional or not. At least in the german translation it does
not seem to be optional.

2. Great Orks and Dices
For example Great Orks give 2 Dices (regarding fighting strength). But does they the always bring these dice
(when part of an army) or do they only give 2 dice when the SP played the great ork unit manouver card?
I thought they always have the same strength.

3. "VorstoƟ" / Push
I dont know exactly the english name of the card it says: "move one army with leadership up to two regions. You then may attack with it"
May I move the army two regions and then attack a neighbor-region (three regions total) or do the "target"-Region has to be the second region (two regions total)?

Thank you in advance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It's optional.

2. Each unit of the appropriate type changes one white die to a black one, regardless of its Combat Strength.

3. You may move the Army up to two regions, then attack an enemy Army in any adjacent region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Krieghund wrote:
2. Each unit of the appropriate type changes one white die to a black one, regardless of its Combat Strength.

Does this mean in reverse, in case i got an army of a single great ork and I do not play the great ork unit/manouver card i still can throw two dice?
Or do i need to play the corresponding unit/manouver card to use the fight-strength-dice buff (2 dice)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A unit with a Combat Strength of 2 always adds 2 Combat dice (up to a maximum of 5, of course). In your example, your Army would roll two white dice normally, and one white and one black when using the Great Orcs maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.