Popular Tags: podcast [+] [View All]
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's a pretty good show. Nicely organized into regular segments including the amusing Game Sommelier (wherein a hypothetical situation is pitched and one of the hosts must come up with games appropriate for the situation).

Another cool feature is that they recently started adding images to the show that you can view on your iPod as the show plays so that you can see pics of a game they are discussing. Neat!

Just curious who else is listening since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on BGG yet. Check it out if you haven't yet:

http://www.thespiel.net

And it's available through iTunes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tim,

I just started getting into this whole podcast listening thing (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128015), and have downloaded all the Spiel episodes, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. I have just finished listening to the three Boardgaming Roundtable episodes of Garrett's Games and Geekiness, which were very interesting. I'll try to get to some Spiel episodes soon, although getting through all 258 podcasts (5.2 days and 4.62 GB) I've downloaded might take me a while, heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great podcast, not yet (and hopefully never) polluted by cynicism. The hosts are smart, likeable and work well together. I listen to every show and, except for some audio balance problems, each show has been getter better. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I'm listening now! Thanks for the head's up. I'm a home health therapist. I work in rural east-central Mississippi. So, I regularly drive 150-200 miles a day. I'm always excited to find quality podcasts about topics I enjoy - especially when they are free Looks like this week it will be Michael Polanyi on tacit knowing, Tolstoy on Death, and Conway & Coleson on Boardgames! If I throw in a little Donald Fegan, Mark Knopfler, and Sam Philips, the miles will fly by in no time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started listening in the last week or so. I've been going through past shows on iPod during commutes.

I have to say I love the phrase "truckloads of goober" (refers to game with especially nice and or numerous components). laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I enjoy it quite a bit myself. I listen to quite a few podcasts and it's one of my favorites. I like it because it's just two guys talking about a hobby they love. I certainly enjoy shows that use their connections to get great interviews and talk to industry people (I'm looking at you, Tom) but I like the charm of just a couple of guys getting together to talk about games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Just started listening in the last week or so. I've been going through past shows on iPod during commutes.

I have to say I love the phrase "truckloads of goober" (refers to game with especially nice and or numerous components). laugh

Yes, I like that phrase too. I've added 'goober' to my vocabulary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found it and I like it. It's a very positive look at the hobby. I hope they keep it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've been listening back through this last ten days or so and it's good fun to lsiten to. "Fun" being the main word I think as a couple can be a bit dry at times.
However do either of the guys actually DISLIKE many games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I haven't yet. I'm a big fan of the Dice Tower...but with 150 minutes of driving each day, I'm running out of episodes.

Time to give these guys a shot too!
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really like the special segments: Backshelf Spotlight, Truckloads of Goober, and Game Sommelier. It's a well done show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to several other podcast on gaming, but I was not aware of "The Spiel" until I saw this thread about Podcasts. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128015

Good Show!!

I have since added a link to "The Spiel" on my web page with the other podcasts I have links to: http://www.inntrepid.com/html/game_links.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toupsz wrote:
Well...I haven't yet. I'm a big fan of the Dice Tower...but with 150 minutes of driving each day, I'm running out of episodes.

Time to give these guys a shot too!
-Zach

Have you listened to GeekSpeak (BoardGameSpeak) with Derk and Aldie? Some of these shows are LONG running over 2 hours, but I find them very interesting and enjoy listening to them.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamespeak.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering where the bump in our traffic came from yesterday! Thanks for the free plug!

We're very much a learn-as-you-go kind of show, so the first few episodes are a little rough (especially the audio), but it seems like we've been able to improve the show in some way with each episode. We also have brand new shiny microphones, so most of the audio glitches are no longer a problem. With 13 episodes in the can (14 coming next Monday), there's still lots of room for The Spiel to grow.

It's gratifying to know there are people (like you all) out there having fun with The Spiel, because we definitely have a blast making the show.

We welcome feedback from anyone, so feel free to drop us a line any time! stephen@thespiel.net or dave@thespiel.net

We've also just added a Frappr map to the main site page, so any listener can add a pin to the map and see where everyone who listens to The Spiel is from. The direct link to the map is:

http://www.frappr.com/thespiel

re: truckloads of goober. I catch myself using it in conversation all the time. When I notice the puzzled look, I have to stop and explain. heh. Blame Dave for that one!

re: disliking games. That's just going to be a hit-and-miss kind of thing. We play our List games and don't compare notes before recording, so we honestly don't know for certain how we each feel specifically about the games. If you're looking for episodes where we go off on a game try Episode 3- Cry Havoc, we have some harsh words for Clippers. Episode 6 - Monkey Pirates, we're less than thrilled with the very structured mechanics in Tortuga. I also go off on a rant against the dice game LCR in Episode 8's Game Sommelier. We're not expecting perfection when we play games, just having fun. We are more likely to describe the flaws in many games without feeling like the game is total crap. Does that make sense?

Thanks for listening (or giving us a try for the first time!)

Regards,

Stephen co-host of The Spiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear the audio is improved. I tried the first one the other day and it was pretty much un-listenable. Granted, my audio setup isn't the best (I drive a VW diesel and have the iPod hooked up through the tape deck), but I couldn't get things to work out even by adjusting the bass and treble.

I'll check out one of the more recent ones!
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I’ve listened to the first five episodes, and these guys have me wanting to play Mah Jong & Cribbage. I'm a Euro-gamer for crying out loud! Stop it already! There is no telling where this new ‘willingness-to-reconsider-previously-written-off-games’ could lead. If anyone sees me sneaking out of a Toys-R-Us in the near future with any version of Monopoly at all, take away my ipod immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Zach, the levels on the first few episodes are craptastic. Sorry if you had problems. The last two episodes (12-13) were recorded with our new microphones, so the audio is much improved.

Re: Scotty. Heh. Our not-so-sinister plan is working! Dave and I play Cribbage almost every time we get together even if its only a game or two. We'd play Mah Jongg more often, but the only issue is you have to have four people to play and that sometimes makes it difficult. Our local Chinese take out place delivers and the delivery guy saw us playing Mah Jongg one night we he was bringing in our food. He was flabbergasted that we were playing real Chinese Mah Jongg. After that night, he slips us extra egg rolls or pot stickers whenever we order. See, playing these classic games can bring unexpected rewards, too!

Stephen
co-host of The Spiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have to pop back on here and say that this is a really great podcast. The audio is DEFINITELY WAY IMPROVED in the latest ones. I look forward to more good shows guys!
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, The Spiel is one of the best boardgame podcasts with 2 hosts.

The great thing about this podcast is that it has real depth. The guys don't mind taking their time to discuss a game. There's no "rush through this game and then that game..."

The hosts are laid back and sound like they really enjoy the games they're playing.

This podcast is one of my favorites!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just episode 13 today, and I'm enjoying the show very much.

My only gripe with the show is how large the file sizes are. I've got broadband, but it still takes a while to download them all.

And I also think that the audio is quite soft. I have to turn up my MP3 player quite high to hear clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Zach, Doober, and Ken.

I'm relieved to know the audio improvements are noticeable!

Re: Ken's comments on file size and audio levels. I am trying to strike a balance between audio quality and the length of the show to keep the file size manageable, but it's a hard bargain to strike. It's painfully obvious I am no audio engineer, but slowly but surely I am learning! I think the last few episodes are much improved, but that doesn't mean future episodes can't be better. For now, all I can say is bear with us as we continue (hopefully) to improve.

Re: depth/discussion. One of the great things about doing a podcast is we can play with the format until we find the right fit. That's not to say we've found it yet, but we're getting there. Our goal is to keep the show around an hour and 15 minutes or shorter. With this semi-nebulous limit in mind, we don't feel like we have to rush through each segment. The last couple episode have run a little long, but as long as we're having a good discussion and not just rambling, we'll err on the side of giving you more content, not less.

Thanks for the comments and emails. It's great knowing you're enjoying the show.

Stephen
co-host of The Spiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The people over at The Dice Tower have a show of a similar length, but managed to keep their file size to about half of your's. And the audio levels are quite high, and everyone comes through very clearly.

It's a technical issue that I'm sure you'll be able to figure out as you go along. I've got no knowledge of the technical aspects of recording, so there isn't much help I can offer.

Content-wise, I like The Spiel very much, and I hope you guys do carry on. Great work, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Conway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ken.

The show has been a learn-as-you-go kind of project, so we'll certainly try to find a way to keep improving The Spiel from as many angles as we can, including technical issues.

Have fun,

Stephen
co-host of The Spiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kracken wrote:
The people over at The Dice Tower have a show of a similar length, but managed to keep their file size to about half of yours

And they do that by compressing the audio so much that it sounds like AM radio. Which is usually fine for talk shows since they typically don't require high fidelity.

The Spiel kids will figure it out, but they do need to get those audio/mic levels up a notch or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Yeah I've been listening back through this last ten days or so and it's good fun to lsiten to. "Fun" being the main word I think as a couple can be a bit dry at times.
However do either of the guys actually DISLIKE many games?

That's one of the things that is great about the show. They don't waste timing griping about games they don't like to play. They talk about games they love to play, and as you point out, that's just fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.