Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
You're Bluffing has turned out to be a better game than I expected when I bought it - but I am having big-time trouble figuring out how to do well at it myself. It's another one of those games that looks like it's only for kids, but I think would normally work better for adults.

I broke it open with my wife Heather, sister Anne-Marie, and brother Andrew, and sister-in-law Rebecca on a free night during a vacation. I thought the bluffing element might intrigue Rebecca especially, and that very much turned out to be the case.

I was hesitant to spend much money for any animals being auctioned throughout most of the game, but ended up acquiring at least one of about four different kinds. By the time the auctioning was done however, I only had pairs of two animals left: cows and dogs I think it was - so I knew I'd have a poor showing no matter what happened from that point on. To add insult to injury, I made a couple of very bad trades during the final "cattle trades" where I bid just under the amount that was handed to me. Rebecca especially seemed to have honed this skill of guessing what I was going to spend, and putting out just slightly more than that - which of course created a lot of laughs and made the game more fun for everyone.

One important lesson I learned in the course of this game was the danger of overbidding past the money I have in my hand. I was doing this deliberately mid-way through the game during one auction trying to drive the price up for someone else who otherwise was going to get a better deal, but ended up winning the auction and had to show everyone else my cards, which weren't worth very much. When I first read the rules, I thought this punishment for overbidding seemed rather weak - "Why wouldn't people overbid all the time?" I thought. Rest assured - I understand now. Armed with this knowledge of my lack of riches, Andrew and Rebecca proceeded to do cattle trades with me immediately after on their turns, knowing that I couldn't outbid anything but the smallest of amounts. I was the victim of blatant highway robbery. shake

In the end - and I am hesitant to even say this - I ended up with absolutely NOTHING - not even a scrawny chicken to my name. Heather had to leave the game near the end and so I took over her hand at the time when my assets were nearly gone (and we had no similar animals) and proceeded to lose one of her pairs to leave her with nothing but a set of dogs and geese. After inflicting my skills on her for a round or two, the game thankfully ended.

We made some good memories and had a lot of fun, my presence notwithstanding.

Final scores: Rebecca - 5100, Andrew - 2700, Anne-Marie - 1800, Heather - 400, and yours truly - 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sakic
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey,don't worry about your loss, I've played about 6 times thus far, and I finish last every time. I just can't keep tabs on how much money people have, and I'm a bad guesser... It's a fun game though. My cousin owns it and I'd like to buy a box but I just can't find it anywhere... Where did you get yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: I've seen a few copies lately floating around at my local Tuesday Morning store (in Rancho Bernardo, CA).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.