Subject: Strategy help for beginners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we just played our first game. None of us are new to board games but this one we found particularly puzzling. We spent large portions of the game feeling like there was little we could actually do.

We played a 3 player game. During the game we felt like we almost never had corn enough to place our workers. Many times dropping a single worker at gear space 0. There is only one place to get a significant amount of corn (the green gear) and even that spot is somewhat nerfed in that you have to uncover your corn by taking wood first.

I've read the great strategy guide here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1262527/strategy-primer-...

and even noticed that the 3 of us each played one of the strategies mentioned (although very very very poor versions of them). But I still don't see how this answers the question of "where does the corn come from".

Note that we weren't really worried about feeding our workers with corn... the struggle more came from the trouble we had with finding corn to even place workers. Placing 3 workers at a 0, 2, and 3 space costs 8 corn... more than you can get easily without upgrading the agriculture tech all the way up.

I'm sure there's something we're missing so I'm wondering what the good folks of BGG know. How do you get the corn engine going enough to sustain your strategy if you aren't interested in a BIG CORN strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
djc6535 wrote:
There is only one place to get a significant amount of corn (the green gear) and even that spot is somewhat nerfed in that you have to uncover your corn by taking wood first.

Keep in mind that once you have the 2nd level Agriculture tech this is no longer true. You can harvest corn even if there isn't a Corn Harvest Tile showing. You can also opt to anger the gods and burn down the forest to bypass the Wood Harvest Tile if you really need to. (Not recommended, but possible.)

djc6535 wrote:

Note that we weren't really worried about feeding our workers with corn... the struggle more came from the trouble we had with finding corn to even place workers. Placing 3 workers at a 0, 2, and 3 space costs 8 corn... more than you can get easily without upgrading the agriculture tech all the way up.

I'm sure there's something we're missing so I'm wondering what the good folks of BGG know. How do you get the corn engine going enough to sustain your strategy if you aren't interested in a BIG CORN strategy?

The normal state of the game is to place 1 or 2 workers. Placing more than that, or escalating up beyond the 0 or 1 spots is reserved for when you have a large supply of corn and want to trade it for time, effectively.

Keep in mind that Agriculture tech isn't required, it just makes those actions more efficient. I played a 2-player game this morning in which I ignored all tech but Theology and still scored 97 points. I felt really inefficient whenever I got corn or wood, but made up for it in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some farm buildings, you will need much less corn to feed your workers so you can spend it more freely when placing workers.

One big corn haul will cover the next food day as well as placement costs for a few rounds (if you don't place in expensive places, which should only be done in specific situations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you tech up in the resource tech, your worker on the top spot on the resource gear can get two stone, two gold and two food. A quick trip to the "convert resources to corn" spot turns those stone and gold into 14 corn (3 + 3 + 4 + 4). That'll give you enough corn to put more workers on that gear and repeat the process as much as you need to.

Or tech up in Agriculture and your guy at the top of the Ag gear can get a ton of corn (regardless of whether there is wood there or not).

And the top step of the bottom gear lets you activate any spot (except skulls). So if you're worried about burning a forest, put a guy on there at the same time as your zero ag guy. And pull the ag guy for wood and then trigger the anywhere space to pull the corn you just revealed.

Don't be afraid to anger the gods when you're out of corn to be able to put another worker (or two) out. Sure it's a temple step down, but often getting those workers out and gaining tempo in timing is completely worth it. If you build your infrastructure early, you can make up the lost temple steps later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djc6535 wrote:
How do you get the corn engine going enough to sustain your strategy if you aren't interested in a BIG CORN strategy?

For the other two main strategies:
Big Resources - Yax 5/Uxmal 5 (use Y5) to get gold/stone/corn. Use U2 to convert to mainly corn and wood. Why? Corn is obvious. Wood is used, among other things, at Tikal 3 (2W->4G, cornified, that is trading 4c for 16c to net 12c). Also, U2 is best with LOTS of resources. You will often see the best players trading resources for 40 (rarely less), 50 or even more (before converting some back to wood). One last point on BR is that you will likely starve workers in Q1. Don't be afraid to do it. Don't have more than 1 or 2 of your workers off the wheels when you do.

Skulls - Skulls is generally played with 4 workers (4th being obtained early in Q2 usually). You will use P1 and starting player to get most of your corn with a couple P2's and a couple higher P's thrown in.

With a new group, skulls can be tougher because new players (like yourselves) always seem desperate for corn and will use the same spots as you would to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
SliceOfBread wrote:
One last point on BR is that you will likely starve workers in Q1. Don't be afraid to do it. Don't have more than 1 or 2 of your workers off the wheels when you do.

Can you explain what you mean here? I'm not sure, since you have to feed workers whether they're on the gears or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b414213562 wrote:
SliceOfBread wrote:
One last point on BR is that you will likely starve workers in Q1. Don't be afraid to do it. Don't have more than 1 or 2 of your workers off the wheels when you do.

Can you explain what you mean here? I'm not sure, since you have to feed workers whether they're on the gears or not.

If you starve workers you'll be left with 0 or 1 corn. Unless you are the first or maybe second player to place, you probably won't be able to place 3 workers, even if you beg. More than 3, for sure you can't. For Big Resources, you want your workers working as much as possible. So, it is better to take a point hit for starving then be caught with too many workers and not enough corn to get them on the wheels the next turn. (BTW- this is not usually the case for Skull strategy as you will more often place two turns in a row with that strategy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb
SliceOfBread wrote:
b414213562 wrote:
SliceOfBread wrote:

If you starve workers you'll be left with 0 or 1 corn. Unless you are the first or maybe second player to place, you probably won't be able to place 3 workers, even if you beg. More than 3, for sure you can't. For Big Resources, you want your workers working as much as possible. So, it is better to take a point hit for starving then be caught with too many workers and not enough corn to get them on the wheels the next turn. (BTW- this is not usually the case for Skull strategy as you will more often place two turns in a row with that strategy.)

Ah, thank you, that makes sense. I wasn't connecting to the next round when you'd be out of corn and wanting to place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.