City of Horror» Forums » General

Subject: action cards: i want more in a game!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
i played this game yesterday with 5 friends. we liked it, but we all had the same issue: the action cards.
it's obvious that in this game action cards are basically currency and are vital, used to seal all the agreement or as a lever to force/convince someone to do something for you/against another player, then why make them so hard to obtain?
correct me if i'm wrong, the only ways to get an action cards are:
1)from another player as a part of an agreement
2)added by an invasion card, and you can get them after a votation
3)some characters' powers
4)in the armory (only discarding another action card)
in my opionion there ara too many ways to lose/use a card (with the A side setup, basically to do everything a card must be discarded first), and too little ways to get them.
i discussed with my friend, and we agreed that, maybe, getting a free card at the beginning of every round would be better.
also, i think that the cards parachuted by the invasion cards are too random and too few, seen the extreme importance of the action cards. it has happened twice that the cards were added in a location where nobody was (due to the huge quantity of zombies),and moreover only one card per turn, in a 6 players game, is not accettable. i started the game with my setup 4 action cards and never had the occasion of getting more for the rest of the game.
has anybody had the same issue or impression?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scarcity of the action cards is important to our group. The main draw of the game is the desperate negotiations to stay alive. More action cards and you remove that threat. In one or two games we've actually thought there were too many available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
The main draw of the game is the desperate negotiations to stay alive.

Exactly.

Also - did you play the game once and think of changes already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
well, the problem is my group probably isn't going to play the game without changes! i dunno why, but i kinda agree with them when they said they felt very limitated in what they could do by the lack of cards. as i said i myself couldn't do much in the game we played since i couldnt get a single card apart the 4 i got by setup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
we saw the game in this way: the fun of the game is the discussion/agreement/backstabbing part, to do so you need "levers" (cards and/or antidotes), since the game give you little occasions of getting those levers, the discussion/agreement/backstabbing part is limited by it. at least maybe another way to parachute items would be better, a way which changed depending on the number of players (as i said before, 5 turns, maximum 2 cards per turn, there are high odds one or two people will not get anything and they can't do nothing for it)
also maybe at least 2 building actions could require not to discard a card but maybe something else (it's the same when the church, if i remember well, requires to discard a food...which you got discarding a card!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dont think its the sort of game where you play action cards all the time.

With that said, you and your group should play it any way you like - especially if the alternative is not playing it at all ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
yeah that's the point (and since I paid for it, i would change all the rules till it becomes monopoly to play it!)
anyway i don't understand when you say "I just dont think its the sort of game where you play action cards all the time", am i wrong or on the A side all the buildings require to discard a card to perform an action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about the levers, but you can be quite creative with these so they don't just have to be action cards and antidotes. Bargaining can include promises for future rounds, votes and pretty much anything you can imagine. In a way this game can be just a catalyst for a vast network of horribly broken promises in the same family as Diplomacy. Bargaining with votes is a really exciting way to go "if you vote her out there, I'll vote him out there next round" etc. crazy, backstabbing zombie madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Burger
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I saw the video review from SU&SD on City of Horror, I knew I had to have it. However, it's been more challenging than I thought to get to the table, due to the lack of text on cards and the cutthroat nature. When I picked this up, I didn't realize just how many zombie-themed games were really out there - also adding to the hesitation for others to try it.

Any advice you can offer me to to 'sell' the fun of this game to my group(s)? It's been about a year since I last tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not your average Zombie game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bevan Timm
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first run through and had the same feeling. We were definitely too free with our cards in the first couple of turns but I found myself in a situation where one turn in I had spent 3 cards on preventing attacks where I would have died and lost another to a thief, leaving me with a single card for the rest of my (short) game. Fair play all round but my lack of cards made me feel completely powerless and that wasn't a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bevan Timm
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we've had our second game and our opinion has changed completely. Overall we were probably a little cautious but this time we had an idea of the value of the cards and that made for a fascinating game, full of agonising decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.