Popular Tags: Variant [+] Solo [+] [View All]
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally shared on PortalGames.pl here.

Ignacy Trzewiczek wrote:
Imperial Settlers

Everybody calls Imperial Settlers light civ game. It is not a civ game. It has no technology tree. It has no wonders. It has no leaders. Yes, some of this will come later in the expansions, but still – I don’t think about this game as a civ game. It is an engine building card game. Without technology and time progress I don’t think it might be called civ.

But!

We all played Sid’s Meier Civilisation in high school, right? We love this genre. New provinces. Developing our culture. Inventing new technology…

Here it is. Variant for Imperial Settlers I designed for you that will give you this civ feel. This is a new solo variant. This is variant that will let you conquer provinces and develop your civilization by buying achievements. I hope you’ll have a great time.

Civ variant for Imperial Settlers (pdf) and tables (pdf)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting the base game and expansion tomorrow so this will be a great addition as I'll mostly be playing it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules and I sounds interesting. I will try it in the near future, probably after I played my first multi-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm definitely trying this after I get all the presents wrapped up for tomorrow. What an awesome Xmas gift!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started to work on card designs for Achievements. Will try to do Provinces too, don't know about events yet - since the double dice roll can't be emulated with card decks that well.

Here are some sketches for the cards:

Of course I can't match the cool Art of Imperial Settlers - so I just picked some images from deviantart which fitted the card.

I will add in the symbols for the resources later. And try to match cards that for example only add to production with the same terms as on the game cards.

Comments and ideas (suggestions for font; font size, colors, pictures...) are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torala wrote:
Started to work on card designs for Achievements. Will try to do Provinces too, don't know about events yet - since the double dice roll can't be emulated with card decks that well.

Here are some sketches for the cards:

Of course I can't match the cool Art of Imperial Settlers - so I just picked some images from deviantart who fit the card.

I will add in the symbols for the resources later. And try to match cards that for example only add to production with the same terms as on the game cards.

Comments and ideas (suggestions for font; font size, colors, pictures...) are welcome!

Wow, that's awesome!
When I started working on the translation with Ignacy, I mentioned that it would be awesome if the various options were cards. It's his dream that the community embraces this play mode enough that maybe something like that could happen in the future. :-D

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torala wrote:

First, VERY nice work!

While I know you can't match the actual art of the game my advice would be to avoid images like the Mercenary Contract card which have actual individuals portrayed since that's probably the most glaring contrast. The invention map on the other hand isn't nearly as stark a difference since it's just topography.

So for the Merc. Contract perhaps something more generic like just crossed swords, or weapons and coins would work.

Also with the awesome work you're doing with layout you could even crowdsource the effort of finding the best images. You could create a geeklist or forum thread with an entry for each card you want to do and let other members scour deviantart and the internet for possible fits. Then people would just thumb the ones they like best and you could choose from all the options submitted. Just a thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

I finished the layout for all the Achievements and am currently looking at artwork. Since this is a really fun part for me I will try to find some on my own at first. When I post the cards I will gladly change them for better ones though.

What do you guys think about the colors? I don't like the grey I used very much, but am not sure what do use otherwise. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top and bottom crescents might look good with the gold color you currently have bordering the name of each card. Will offer nice contrast against the dark lettering.

Like the background of the card title in the top card here and the wheat icons seen on the second and bottom cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the problem is, that those yellowish/goldish cresents are the original ones. So they are not only one color but many yellowish shades. It would requier a lot of work to simulate that or replace the originals (I'm not that good with image software... just trying things out as I go ).

But I will think about that.

As I look at the cards more and more, I think I will replace the white circle behind the costs in the upper corner with a Victory-Point-Star from the game. But can't find a solution to make the number look good. Will need a better font or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another approach to the cards. I took the color from the cresent like you said. Removed all the borders (which I wanted to do eventually) and changed the Victory Cost indicator.

Another update:

Finished all Achievements:

Finished all Provinces:

Working on events now:

*Edit* Disclaimer: those artworks are only examples. The cards will probably not be uploaded with those pictures since I will need to get permission from the artists first.

For the Imperial Settlers Icons/Cardframes I send a request to Ignacy hoping for him/Portal to grant me permission to upload files soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A competitive variant like this for 2-4 players in the future would be cool as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic work! The gold looks great. For the other colors I'd suggest going with a much lighter shade so the dark text has more contrast against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome art, the main cards and the basics look a lot like Imperial Settler cards. Simple and still cool and distinctive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, THIS IS what we call "game support"!
Thank you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torala wrote:
Here is another approach to the cards. I took the color from the cresent like you said. Removed all the borders (which I wanted to do eventually) and changed the Victory Cost indicator.

Another update:

Finished all Achievements:

Finished all Provinces:

Working on events now:

*Edit* Disclaimer: those artworks are only examples. The cards will probably not be uploaded with those pictures since I will need to get permission from the artists first.

For the Imperial Settlers Icons/Cardframes I send a request to Ignacy hoping for him/Portal to grant me permission to upload files soon.

These look so great! Much better than my own efforts. But I do have some public domain pictures I found for the provinces and the achievements that I can share with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be great! Please geekmail me with further information.

I will finish the Events this evening - so all cards will be done. As soon as Ignacy replies to my request I could upload the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I finished a set of cards for the campaign mode: provinces, achievements, and events. They are not subtle and are pretty loud, but they are serviceable until the good cards listed here are under way to BGG.

They fit into an Ultra Pro standard sleeve and are magic card sized.

For examples:

Provinces: http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Achievements: http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Events: http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Here is the zip archive (29MB): http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
Hi all, I finished a set of cards for the campaign mode: provinces, achievements, and events. They are not subtle and are pretty loud, but they are serviceable until the good cards listed here are under way to BGG.

They fit into an Ultra Pro standard sleeve and are magic card sized.

For examples:

Provinces: http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Achievements: http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Events: http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Here is the zip archive (29MB): http://files.bilboatbagend.com/misc/imperial%20settlers%20ci...

Woohoo! Thanks, Ava!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, but effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card files are now available on BGG for the simple cards:

Simple Cards for Campaign Mode

The better-looking cards by

David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

have an art call out for them now -- see Card Designs for the official Campaign mode -- so that they can be filled with good art rather than stuff I scrounged up from the public domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Epic Translator! 25+ translations: Terraforming Mars/Le Havre/Endeavor:AoS/On Mars/Brass Lancashire&Birmingham/Teotihuacan+Expansion/Gentes DLX/London 2Ed/Cuzco/Forum-Trajanum/D-Day Dice/Yellow&Yangtze/Western Legends/Pret-a-Porter/AquaSphere
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
A competitive variant like this for 2-4 players in the future would be cool as well.

Working in some ideas. Would you like to share them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j jayjay
msg tools
Almilcar wrote:
bearn wrote:

Working in some ideas. Would you like to share them?

The issue I had trying to come up with a coop/competitive variant is the nature of the campaign module. It rewards beating the AI/players which in turn gives your certain perks for future play thrus. This tends to feed into the horrible game mechanism of a run away leader.

So I tried a coop 2 player just sharing the AI as a common enemy with the draft portion being 5 cards for EACH player (+3 common buildings to AI each round) it worked relatively smoothly aside from one BIG issue. It's just you playing the solo campaign alongside your game partner who is also playing a solitaire game. why not just play regular 1v1, or you know just.. solitaire?

I think trying to keep the campaign mode intact while still having player interaction is one of the main issues. Hopefully someone much smarter than me can come up with a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radim Darwin
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many d10 do I exactly need for this campaign mode ?
Thanx for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Mathieson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use one d10 and roll it twice for events or you could use two d10s and roll each one once to determine your event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |