Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typical, I only bought this yesterday, and already I've thought of changing something!

Some people have complained that the bonus cards vary wildly and can upset the game balance.

Simple variant:
Draw and keep three cards at the start as normal.
After scoring turn 5, choose and discard one of your three original bonus cards (alternatively, any bonus card, if you've obtained more).
Do the same thing after turn 8.

Result:
You get the ability to slightly hone your final bonus according to the board situation as the game progresses, rather than having to choose your strategy at the start and work towards it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Clever and interesting ! I'll stick with the original nastier rule, but this could be a really nice twist for many gamers.
I'll add this on the variants page on my website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat:

What to do with discovery cards?

I assume, since you can only play them when first drawn, then any initial discovery cards must be discarded on turns five and/or eight, and cannot be used as discoveries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I asked myself the same question afterwards, and that's why it's not yet on my site ;-). now, let's find a good solution.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scientist can play a discovery card from your hand instead of drawing a new event card/looking at a previously played discovery card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeannis Leist
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games the recruiter is rarely used more than once in the game. In order to have some discovery cards in play I would suggest to enhance the ability of the scientist and use the following rules:

1) Draw and keep three cards at the beginning of the game. Excange cards if you have only discovery cards or the only bonus card is „bocks of ice“.

2) When using the scientist you can either draw a card and take it in your hand AND play a discovery card from your hand OR look at a discovery card in play.

3) After scoring turn 5 and 8, choose and discard one card from your hand.

4) At the final scoring any discovery card in hand is worth 1 bonus point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to use the original poster's variant, I suggest the players simply keep drawing cards during the setup phase until they have three bonus cards. Discard discovery cards and reshuffle as usual. Indeed, I think that was what he had in mind.

If you do not use that variant, you might still want to consider to give two (or three) bonus cards to each player to choose from. Besides the cards being unbalanced, I dislike the fact that a player can get three bonus cards to select one, while another receives two discovery cards and is stuck with the sole bonus card he got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up the game myself and the method of dealing out bonus cards seems a little quirky for the very reason GSReis mentioned. I was thinking of initially separating out the bonus cards. For 3-4 players each person gets three and keeps one (like choosing tickets in Ticket to Ride) and with 5 players each person gets two and keeps one. For five you could even go around from the start player and trade in one for a random pull from the "blind" that remains and go around the table that way, then decide which of your two cards to keep.

If all that matters is bonus cards, why give the chance of dealing out anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maxwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I FINALLY made a successful trade for M:RP about a month ago!! WOOHOO! I have only played it 3 times with my friends (and once more by myself when I was learning it -all random picks of Character Cards, but quite fun still!). We had similar issue with the Bonus cards, especially on the last game we played just a few days ago -While the other 3 were able to get great area-control Bonus cards, I received 2 Discovery cards & a Free Block of Ice card , so I obviously didn't get much of a Bonus -so I had spent 2 of my turns playing Recruiter JUST so I could get more Bonus cards, which put me very much in last place, BY A LOT!

I am going to try some plays in the next couple weeks where we start with 3 Bonus' & discard the Discoveries -and maybe only get to keep one still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licotto wrote:
I FINALLY made a successful trade for M:RP about a month ago!! WOOHOO! I have only played it 3 times with my friends (and once more by myself when I was learning it -all random picks of Character Cards, but quite fun still!). We had similar issue with the Bonus cards, especially on the last game we played just a few days ago -While the other 3 were able to get great area-control Bonus cards, I received 2 Discovery cards & a Free Block of Ice card , so I obviously didn't get much of a Bonus -so I had spent 2 of my turns playing Recruiter JUST so I could get more Bonus cards, which put me very much in last place, BY A LOT!

I am going to try some plays in the next couple weeks where we start with 3 Bonus' & discard the Discoveries -and maybe only get to keep one still.

Hi Kevin,
have a look at the other variants posted. We started to play by sorting the bonus cards from the discovery cards and hand out 3, keeping one. Only the discovery cards (+the lost in space bonus) are then put around the board. Also, you can look at 3 instead of only 1 discovery cards with the scientist. It makes the game much more strategic - and that's a good thing in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.