Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we've managed a few games now and are really enjoying it, apart from one small problem. My wife and usual playing partner does not like the "bid for turn order" mechanic. Not a big problem thinks I, we can just swap to a rotating first player variant.

So here's the issue. How to handle the auction phase. The rest are written on the board and seem like they can quite happily stay as they are. So I just want to fit in an auction mechanic.

1. Cards on show, first player first, turn order.
2. Cards on show, reverse turn order.
3. Cards on show, second player first, turn order. (Same as 2 in 2 player).
4. Unseen, top card from the deck. First player first.
5. Players have a hand of 2 auction cards. Draw one each turn, then use one.
6. Players start with hand of x cards (maybe 1 per player) each round use 1 and pass rest to next player for use next round. Refresh when hands empty.

I sort of like 3, as the first pick, first fulfilment combo seems quite powerful in the games we've played, but it would be a turn order that never appears in the game as it is at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
What about drafting? Deal, say, 5 cards to each player, then in each Auction phase all players choose one of the cards in hand to cash in and pass the rest to a neighbor.

An alternative, to avoid having to deal with the reshuffle if cards ever get depleted: Deal 2 cards to each player. Each Auction phase, all players draw one, pick one to cash in and pass the other two.

I haven't yet played my copy (sadly) so I'm not sure what amount of cards would be best (or whether the idea is worth anything, for that matter), but it seems like a workable alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think picking from the row is very similar to a draft already, just without giving the last player a choice.

I do like the idea of a hand of auction cards, thematically it would make the auction more like shopping for seeds at a garden centre. Similar downside to 3 in that it's a new mechanism rather than a variation on a theme. Going to edit the top post to add it as a number 5 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting in my first play, but if you remove the bidding for peppers, does that completely negate the use of the money? The market cards would then only be for getting peppers and points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
Just getting in my first play, but if you remove the bidding for peppers, does that completely negate the use of the money? The market cards would then only be for getting peppers and points?

Money also counts as points ($3 = 1 point), so you could just accumulate it I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing option 1 as the simplest possible variant. It works OK in a two player, but there are definitely times when you know you would happily have paid to control harvesting, so you could get the peppers you needed unblocked.

On the other hand it cuts the time to play by a third, which can be very useful. For us, the recorded play time for 2 players went for on 90 to 60 minutes.

And yes, money essentially just becomes a small points addition on the Market cards and for pepper sales. Don't forget the pepper sales!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Temeraire wrote:
We've been playing option 1 as the simplest possible variant. It works OK in a two player, but there are definitely times when you know you would happily have paid to control harvesting, so you could get the peppers you needed unblocked.

On the other hand it cuts the time to play by a third, which can be very useful. For us, the recorded play time for 2 players went for on 90 to 60 minutes.

And yes, money essentially just becomes a small points addition on the Market cards and for pepper sales. Don't forget the pepper sales!

60-90 mins for 2 players?

Sheesh... sounds like some serious AP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
What about drafting? Deal, say, 5 cards to each player, then in each Auction phase all players choose one of the cards in hand to cash in and pass the rest to a neighbor.

An alternative, to avoid having to deal with the reshuffle if cards ever get depleted: Deal 2 cards to each player. Each Auction phase, all players draw one, pick one to cash in and pass the other two.
I totally misread these suggestions previously. Updated post 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.