trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has always interested me, I'm a big Arkham/Eldritch Horror fan and this game seems to ooze theme.

However, watching gameplay I'm a little concerned. Does winning/losing really come down to how well you scry the deck?

What I mean is it seems whether you win or lose is pretty much based on if you get lucky finding keys, which is basically a card draw. And wouldn't the optimum strategy just be to search repeatedly until finding keys, ignoring everything else? I realize other threats are going on, but it seems like wasting a turn dealing with a Blight isn't as efficient as just searching.

I'm sure I'm missing something because this game is loved by alot of people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion Darkest Night: With an Inner Light is really needed for this game to stop this. Otherwise it does turn into sit on one spot and search. It adds a much needed layer of quests that force you to stay active accomplishing them while also searching. Great game, it just needs this to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jeff mentioned, the first expansion is really needed for the Quest mechanics. If you ignore the Quests, generally something bad happens.

I would even say the second expansion is needed as well for the added variety of blights.

As for strategy, there's a lot more involved than some of the game play videos show. You can only ignore the blights for so long, and from experience things spiral out of control quick if your group gets too cocky. It really does require quite a bit of teamwork and planning in that regard. And you also don't have to find all the relics - most times my group wins by defeating the Necro in combat.

Now that Jeremy announced he's working on the next expansion, I'm sure things will get even better.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the game well is about using your heroes in the way they are most effective. It doesn't make sense to spend time searching with a hero who is better at fighting blights. If he fights bloghts, it buys time for the searching heroes to roll more times without being in danger.

We always play random heroes and powers, because a large part of the appeal for us is figuring out how to best use them together.

Another thing to point out is that winning by defeating the necromancer requires a lot more fighting blights and a lot fewer searches. Depending on your team, this method of victory may be easier to achieve. I've probably won this way more often than through ritual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Cameron. I always select random heroes and powers and then try to make it work with what I get.

It is the rare game that is won by ritual. The majority of the time is thru necro combat and timing that just right is very interesting. You have to lure the necromancer to a place where you can be sure you can clear the blights before bringing the fight to him.

I am looking forward to the latest expansion where the darkness cards vary the necromancer powers as the game goes on. I just think that's brilliant, and I expect to be sifting thru those cards early AM 12/25.

Merry Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just to shill a bit (but only because you seem interested), the NECROMANCER BUNDLE, which includes the first two expansion kits built right in, is on sale for another day or two at: http://www.victorypointgames.com/games/christmas-sale.html

It's the best price that we have ever offered this VPG website exclusive version of the game.

Thought you might be interested!

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now that Jeremy announced he's working on the next expansion, I'm sure things will get even better.

Yes, we're playtesting that expansions new characters and the new "Mystery cards" deck!

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have chosen... wisely. By making the pitch, I mean. I've been eyeing this game for quite a while, and the bundle sale was just the push I needed to act. I wouldn't call it a Christmas miracle, but I'm glad I ran across this thread today! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

Yes, we're playtesting that expansions new characters and the new "Mystery cards" deck!

Alan Emrich

Thanks for the Christmas "sneak peek" LOL

Now I'm gonna have to get a bigger box to hold everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelfyre wrote:
Thanks for the Christmas "sneak peek" LOL

Now I'm gonna have to get a bigger box to hold everything...

They sell that as well for this game!

Collector's Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, thanks. I spent a long time making a custom wood box a while back though, posted in a separate thread
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1266149/darkest-night-custo...

Still a little wiggle room in it, so I'm hoping to fit one more expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Necro bundle at an awesome price right now and add in From the Abyss and you will not find the game a simple camp and draw cards game. Add in the quests, extra blights and new Darkness Cards and you'll have your hands very full. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

Alan Emrich

Interesting.
Any possible eta on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No, it's still in playtesting! Give us some time to make sure it all works properly first.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

No, it's still in playtesting! Give us some time to make sure it all works properly first.

Alan Emrich

Lol. No rush.
I wouldn't expect anything less than time well spent in due ddiligence of an
awesome game.

I ask because I've yet to get the third expansion.
Wonder if I should get it now, or wait for four to come out and pick both upat the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Clark
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I picked up the Christmas bundle on sale (plus the deluxe big box with dice tower) and couldn't be happier.

My 14 year-old son and I have played twice, and it's a blast. What's more, we've won both times (once with the base game, and 2nd with the first expansion integrated and 4 totally different characters). We're either very lucky or very good. I'm quite sure that we're playing the rules properly.

Next try will be with the 2nd expansion added in, too. As others have said, the 1st expansion is pretty terrific, adding a very cool "quest" mechanic that adds more variety to the Event deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.