Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's bloody Christmas, can we lay off the snipping, snidyness and baiting for one bloody day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
but i do enjoy seeing entire posts dedicated to myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
It's the day before Christmas.

But what the hell is "naff"?

One of those liberal things like "global warming"?
It's a non naughty swear work (it replaces fuck) in the TV series porridge.

As in Naff off, nerk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sassenach's trying to repress us again!

Merry magic baby festival and a happy forthcoming solar orbit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It's bloody Christmas, can we lay off the snipping, snidyness and baiting for one bloody day?

No.
SASQ.

But Happy Appropriate Seasonal Celebration anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Originally it meant "not available for fucking" - a Polari (gay slang/dialect) word to dismissively refer to heterosexual people. A 1970s TV show (Porridge) used it as a general swear word (as in naff off) as real swearing wasn't allowed on prime time telly at the time; but it caught on and now people use naff off, naff all etc and it is also used for something that is a bit rubbish (that's a bit naff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never heard the term until I read The Beatles' Anthology book. In it, George Harrison (and I think, McCartney) used the word multiple times. Based on the context, I pretty much figured out that it was a term for things or people that were 'deficient' or subpar in some way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to wish a happy Christmas Eve Day to everyone and hope you are having as much fun with the traditions of the day as I am.

Going back as far as the thirteenth century, this is the day when tradition has all good Christian men and women cleaning out their fridge of all the Thanksgiving leftovers that were never eaten. Liberating the Tupperware to be used for Christmas leftovers is symbolic of the liberation from sin which we all get to experience. It is also an important preparatory step for "Second Cleansing," when we spend Martin Luther King Jr Day Eve Day throwing out all the uneaten Christmas leftovers.

So today, when you scrape that moldy coagulated turkey gravy down the disposal, don't forget the reason behind this. Christmas leftovers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
GC:

You're ignoring the Synod of Grey Vee. It ruled that in cases of holidays prone to similar dishes leftovers must be consumed or eliminated at least two weeks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

One of those liberal things like "global warming"?
It's a non naughty swear work (it replaces fuck) in the TV series porridge.

As in Naff off, nerk!

I prefer frack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.