Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two things you do in this game are select your car (setup) and your driver's skill. I have thought about this (maybe too much) and come up with a few pairs that I really like.
*Edit - The countries I mention below are the flags on the dashboards that come with the game. I am using this for shorthand, and to help new players. For example instead of writing 2T,2B,2H I just write Italy. 1T,2B,3H is France.

Pitting - Germany/Japan (5 cards in hand), planning for 2 or 3 pit stops.
Japan and German cars have a low starting hand size, which means you will run out of cards sooner, and therefore need to pit more often. Pitting skill helps out with this, plus gives you 2 more cards when you do pit, thus you start with 7/8 cards after a pit stop. I prefer Germany due to the increased body points so that I can try for hazard strategy to help increase movement.

Qualifying - France/Brazil (8 tires), plan for 2 or 3 pit stops.
If you want to start on pole you need cards in your hand to give you that +4 movement you need to guarantee pole. Starting the game on pole with 7 cards and 2/3 track cards (let's face it, you probably won't select soft tyres with these cars) gives you great flexibility in selecting a strategy to help you build up a lead in the opening stint. I prefer France due to the maximum hand limit.

Versatility - Italy/UK (6 cards) plan on 1 or 2 pit stops.
I suggest Italy to any new player that has no idea how they want to set up their car. This combo has the tyres and hand size to go on a longer stint, as well as the versatility to gain track cards by switching strategies. I usually start at the back of the grid with this combo (so I can pit once) and start with banging wheels. I prefer Italy for the new player, but will use UK as well.

Reflexes - UK/US (4 body) plan on 1 or 2 pit stops.
Hey, I live in the US, so we get a car too. It has 10 tires, 4 body and 7 card hand size. It is so elusive that Gotha Games did not print it. In theory at least, having a higher check score should allow you to get away with less body points. I have not used this combo yet.

Tunning - Any plan on 1 pit stop
I like to have max tyres and hand size.

Does anyone have preferred car to pair with lapping skill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking into account that in the advanced game you may tune your car, I don't see any reason to pair skills to nationalities as they don't have any impact in gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tune your car to what? 1 tyre, 2 body, 3 hand is France.

I use the nationalities for shorthand and convenience. The only setup not provided in the box is 2,1,3 which I called US. You can call it Spain

The first step in the basic game is choosing a car, which really is selecting your car setup. It is not like Formula D where all the cars have the same tire, body, brake allocation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Tune your car to what? 1 tyre, 2 body, 3 hand is France.

I use the nationalities for shorthand and convenience. The only setup not provided in the box is 2,1,3 which I called US. You can call it Spain

The first step in the basic game is choosing a car, which really is selecting your car setup. It is not like Formula D where all the cars have the same tire, body, brake allocation.

Tune your car to whatever you feel like, the tokens for that are in the box and one of the steps of the advanced version of the game is configuring your car as you feel like. That's why I say that identifying nationalities with setups is not accurate as you can change absolutely everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I get Ryan's point: you can customise all you want, that is true, but most of the possible combos are already in the box printed on the dash carryinf different flags, except the combo that he calls the US.

This is a very helpful breakdown, Ryan. I will certainly be navigating to it when I play RF90 next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi, if I take the France card and put a 10 tyre and 6 hand size, then why not just use the Italy card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about the flags.
I place my tyre chit (hard, soft, intermediate, rain) on top of the flag anyway.
But I like as many cards on my to start with.
Second I want as many tyres as possible.
But I don't always get to choose first, so I just take what I can get my hands on.

I think you think too much, Ryan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Lochi, if I take the France card and put a 10 tyre and 6 hand size, then why not just use the Italy card?

Maybe I ate too much spaghetti and became sick of them, or maybe today I just feel I little bit french

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
The first two things you do in this game are select your car (setup) and your driver's skill. I have thought about this (maybe too much) and come up with a few pairs that I really like.

Pitting - Germany/Japan, planning for 2 or 3 pit stops.
Japan and German cars have a low starting hand size, which means you will run out of cards sooner, and therefore need to pit more often. Pitting skill helps out with this, plus gives you 2 more cards when you do pit, thus you start with 7/8 cards after a pit stop. I prefer Germany due to the increased body points so that I can try for hazard strategy to help increase movement.

Qualifying - France/Brazil, plan for 2 or 3 pit stops.
If you want to start on pole you need cards in your hand to give you that +4 movement you need to guarantee pole. Starting the game on pole with 7 cards and 2/3 track cards (let's face it, you probably won't select soft tyres with these cars) gives you great flexibility in selecting a strategy to help you build up a lead in the opening stint. I prefer France due to the maximum hand limit.

Versatility - Italy/UK plan on 1 or 2 pit stops.
I suggest Italy to any new player that has no idea how they want to set up their car. This combo has the tyres and hand size to go on a longer stint, as well as the versatility to gain track cards by switching strategies. I usually start at the back of the grid with this combo (so I can pit once) and start with banging wheels. I prefer Italy for the new player, but will use UK as well.

Reflexes - UK/US plan on 1 or 2 pit stops.
Hey, I live in the US, so we get a car too. It has 10 tires, 4 body and 7 card hand size. It is so elusive that Gotha Games did not print it. In theory at least, having a higher check score should allow you to get away with less body points. I have not used this combo yet.

Tuning - Any plan on 1 pit stop
I like to have max tyres and hand size.

Does anyone have preferred car to pair with lapping skill?

I don't plan a race the way you do. I always choose Versatility as my skill no matter where the race is, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't make any connections between skill and circuit as you do.

For starters, I always plan if practical for exactly one pitstop, and this drives my setup more than anything. For example, Hungaroring has 27 turns, so I plan my first pitstop at turn 12. Why? Because the second pitstop would be turn 22 (+10 turns later). If I drop back my car two more sections for +6 turns, that takes my fuel marker off the turn track. This means after the pitstop, I have to go 15 turns, so after I pit, I'll watch my tire wear, and if it gets bad, I'll switch to Save Tyres (via Versatility) to get to the end of the race. For tire wear, I always budget 1 tire chip per turn and plan accordingly.

Unfortunately, there are some circumstances that can throw a monkeywrench into my plans: weather, damage, and unlucky card draws. Changes in weather can force pitstops, so if we play the official weather rules, I try to obstruct any weather changes. For example, if it is wet, I will move the weather marker as far into wet as possible.

There is not much to be done about excess damage and poor card draws except curse. Sometimes if my tires look to hold out and I'm running out of cards, I'll switch to Lucky so I can see more cards.

For dashboard setup, I always ignore the printed numbers and choose chits. I almost always play "2-2-2," which is 10 tires, 5 damage, and 6 cards, because it gives me the most strategy options. Sometimes I may use 12 tires and 4 damage, which is nicer for soft tires but tends to rule out Hazard as a strategy. I never choose 5 cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualifying and Save Tyres works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I think about this game in too much detail.

shilinski wrote:
I don't plan a race the way you do. I always choose Versatility as my skill no matter where the race is, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't make any connections between skill and circuit as you do.

For dashboard setup, I always ignore the printed numbers and choose chits. I almost always play "2-2-2," which is 10 tires, 5 damage, and 6 cards, because it gives me the most strategy options. Sometimes I may use 12 tires and 4 damage, which is nicer for soft tires but tends to rule out Hazard as a strategy. I never choose 5 cards!

ryan3740 wrote:
Versatility - Italy plan on 1 or 2 pit stops.
I suggest Italy to any new player that has no idea how they want to set up their car. This combo has the tyres and hand size to go on a longer stint, as well as the versatility to gain track cards by switching strategies. I usually start at the back of the grid with this combo (so I can pit once) and start with banging wheels.

My connection is not between skill and circuit, but skill and car setup, using the nationalities of the cars as shorthand. Car setup of 2-2-2 is the Italian car. I see we feel the same way about the versatility skill.

shilinski wrote:
For starters, I always plan if practical for exactly one pitstop, and this drives my setup more than anything. For example, Hungaroring has 27 turns, so I plan my first pitstop at turn 12. Why? Because the second pitstop would be turn 22 (+10 turns later). If I drop back my car two more sections for +6 turns, that takes my fuel marker off the turn track. This means after the pitstop, I have to go 15 turns, so after I pit, I'll watch my tire wear, and if it gets bad, I'll switch to Save Tyres (via Versatility) to get to the end of the race. For tire wear, I always budget 1 tire chip per turn and plan accordingly.

If you plan on pitting at turn 12 then you your first stint lasts 11 laps (1-11) and your second stint lasts 16 laps (turns 12-27). This comes with a pit time of 10 spaces. For one stop in Hungary I prefer to pit on lap 15 (select 16) to have stints of 14 (1-14) and 13 (15-27) turns with a pit time of 9 spaces. If I need to stop earlier (due to bad cards/corner damage) than I have the flexibility. I will start near the back due to the -2 grid penalty, but I have not found that to be a problem with versatility. I just use banging wheels to start. Those corner bonuses and passing in late break zones help.

shilinski wrote:
I never choose 5 cards!

I do not choose 5 cards with versatility and one planned pit stop either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My connection is not between skill and circuit, but skill and car setup, using the nationalities of the cars as shorthand. Car setup of 2-2-2 is the Italian car. I see we feel the same way about the versatility skill.

I understand what you are saying. I think, though, that many players don't play attention to nationality, so using nationality as shorthand just befuddles us.

I fell in love with Versatility not because it's a best skill (it may not be) but because I think it enriches the game experience. Moreover, it lets situational strategies shine (like Chase and to some extent, Banging Wheels). I even suggested to the designer Alessandro that maybe everyone should have Versatility as a standard rule and then let them choose a skill, but I think he thought that it would be too overwhelming to a novice. Perhaps that idea might fit into an "Expert" game.

In any case, I disagree with you on one thing: I would never suggest Versatility to a novice because it takes some practice with all the strategies to figure out how to best use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:

I understand what you are saying. I think, though, that many players don't play attention to nationality, so using nationality as shorthand just befuddles us.

I added car setup traits. Is that more clear?

I wonder how a rookie views my post. If the car nationalities make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Am yet to play a game with human opponents as I have had the game for only a few days, but it seems to me that the lucky strategy goes well with a car that gets a small amount of cards. This way you can increase your chances of getting orange cards.

Ryan I understood what you were getting at by assigning countries to car setups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like people to play with different skills.
One of the things I do is to take some random number of skills and give 1 to each. You can choose from the 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would never play with 8 tires or 5 cards. Both are too low. Hope that can be increased. 10-12-14 n 6-7-8
Though 14 tires could be too much.
but 5 cards is too low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.