Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bgdf [+] [View All]
Anders Martinsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how to proceed when you have made your own game, and knows that it will work. I mean, to make the game commercial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
First stop: The Board Game Designers Forum

www.bgdf.com

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Martinsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my two PENCE (not cents, take that Americans/Europeans mwahahahaha):

I've been designing and testing a game for a while now and I'm looking at self-publishing, producing it myself and selling it myself. If you look at the game "Border Reivers" which was designed and published by one of our very own on BGG, he's been there and done it already.

My plan is to take it to every conference I can get to, pimp it out legally through here, include a link to the website in my profile and send a couple of copies out to podcast reviewers, including Tom Vasel who I know loves Um Reifenbreite (as my game's a tactical cycling game).

You'll need to be prepared to hand out a few free or cheaper copies for marketing purposes and be a shameless whore for your game (meaning you'll have to LOVE it). Feedback and podcast reviews could be GOLDEN.

That's if you're gonna self-publish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also gonna mention Jack's self-publishing effort on Border Reivers. It's certianly a good example of how great a self-published game can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And reading his blog on the stress of constant production, it's just as well the end result is so slick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you live in Europe, you might consider joining the society of game designers; I understand Andrea Meyer is either the president of it or very involved. I read an article about it recently, can't remember where. Anyway, apparently all the Spiel des Jahres winners or most of them come out of that organization.

Oh, here's the link, I just found it:
http://www.brettspillguiden.no/begeret/?nid=23

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The SpieleAutorenZunft is misspelled in that article, so finding the actual site on the web might have been hard. Here's the link to the organization:

http://www.spieleautorenzunft.de/

I also recommend the BGDF. Lots of self-publishers and designers now, more all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
I was also gonna mention Jack's self-publishing effort on Border Reivers. It's certianly a good example of how great a self-published game can be.

Thanks for the plugs Andy and Luke. If you're thinking of publishing it yourself bear in mind it will take up a huge amount of your spare time and cash, so you've got to be convinced you've got a really good game.

Make sure you playtest it a lot, especially with people you don't know to get honest feedback.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.