United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd say no.

If "play in any combat" is different than "play in combat" it must be that there are some combats where the former can be played and the latter cannot. What would those be? Combats where a card in play says that you can't play any cards? That would be weak - the overruling card would need to explicitly say it's not limited by things that limit cards. Handwaving its immunity with one little word seems weak.

Is there an apparent thematic reason why the "any" card should be immune to bans?

I think this is an edition oversight. Did you check the FAQ? The SJ Games people are all on vacation, or someone would probably chime in. Hopefully they'll clear this up when they get back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are some differences in wording that separate whether you can play them in any combat or just ones you are involved in. "Play while in combat" often carries the limitation that it must be a combat in which you participate.

I think most cases of "play in combat" refer to any combat, though.

It's easier to work on a given example. Could you provide an example of a card that you argued about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
there are some differences in wording that separate whether you can play them in any combat or just ones you are involved in. "Play while in combat" often carries the limitation that it must be a combat in which you participate.

I think most cases of "play in combat" refer to any combat, though.

It's easier to work on a given example. Could you provide an example of a card that you argued about?

We found that a lot/all of the one use potions/weapons that add a bonus would say "play in any combat", implying that I can just throw it into a fight to screw someone over, by adding +3 to the monster.

Whereas the cards like "Ancient Monster" and "Intelligent Monster" that add +x to the monster, AND mean that if you defeat it you gain 2 extra treasures would read "play in combat". THe bonus of two extra cards does sort of imply that you play it only on your own fight to boost your treasure. BUT I have always played it that you can just throw it into a random fight, with the downside that if they win they gain more treasure.

Someone basically argued that they wouldn't have different wording if they meant the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Monster Enhancers can be played by anyone. The 'you ' on the card refers to the combat owner, but anyone can play them. In those cases, there is no difference between the 'in combat' and 'in any combat' wordings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.