Subject: MoM Funding Condition ~ "Pay Off" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mud Tusk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"advance Active Mystery by 1 or retreat Doom by 1"

Retreat Doom by 1 is clear and obvious. But advance Active Mystery by 1?
What does it mean?

We could only come up with two options:
1. Add 1 to the number of Mysteries the adventures are considered to have solved. (If you've solved 1, you can now say you've solved 2.) Then proceed with current Mystery.

2. Consider current Mystery to have been solved. Remove all element and reveal new Mystery.

In either case, an option that allows you to solve a Mystery is way more powerful than retreating Doom by 1. Have we missed something?

Cheers on any thoughts.
Kx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Curro
United States
Auburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Advance the Active Mystery" effects are explained on page 6 of the Mountains of Madness rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mud Tusk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the answer is yes, we did miss something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Add one counter to the current mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otakuon wrote:

Actually this raises an interesting question. I don't have the rule book in front of me but what would happen in the case where the active mystery requires you to defeat an epic monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCorvid wrote:
otakuon wrote:

Actually this raises an interesting question. I don't have the rule book in front of me but what would happen in the case where the active mystery requires you to defeat an epic monster?

All permutations of mystery cards are covered by the same chunk of rules, the poster above just answered the OPs question without copying the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCorvid wrote:
otakuon wrote:

The rulebook covers that case. You'll see as soon as you'll have it in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
DocCorvid wrote:
otakuon wrote:

The rulebook covers that case. You'll see as soon as you'll have it in front of you.

The rules say if the active mystery requires killing an epic monster, that monster is dealt two damage.

I had a follow-up question on this though... Is the damage still allowed when the monster requires a certain artifact to be possessed and the investigator that advanced the mystery did not have the item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Reasoning:
The rule doesn't state that the monster is dealt damage, it says place two health tokens on the epic monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Curro
United States
Auburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JCChrono wrote:
The rules say if the active mystery requires killing an epic monster, that monster is dealt two damage.

I had a follow-up question on this though... Is the damage still allowed when the monster requires a certain artifact to be possessed and the investigator that advanced the mystery did not have the item?

Neverfade wrote:
Yes.

Reasoning:
The rule doesn't state that the monster is dealt damage, it says place two health tokens on the epic monster.

Damage isn't being dealt to the monster by this effect. Here's the full "advance the active mystery" text from the MoM rulebook (emphasis mine):

Quote:
This expansion introduces a new mechanic: “advance the active
Mystery.” Due to the complexity of Mysteries, this can result in
a number of different effects. When investigators are instructed
to advance the active Mystery, the active investigator resolves
one of the following effects that applies:
^^ If the active Mystery requires one or more tokens to be placed
on the card, place one token of that type on the card.
• Clues, Gates, and Monsters placed on the active Mystery
in this way are drawn from the Clue pool, Gate stack, and
Monster cup, respectively.
^^ If the active Mystery requires an Epic Monster to be defeated,
place two Health on the card. The Epic Monster’s toughness
is reduced by one for each Health on the active Mystery.

^^ If the active Mystery requires an investigator to spend one
or more Clues, place one Clue from the Clue pool on the
card. Any investigator may spend Clues placed on the active
Mystery when resolving an effect of that card.

In this case, you place 2 Health tokens on the active mystery card, not on the epic monster token. For each Health token on the active mystery, the epic monster gets -1 Toughness. This effect isn't dealing damage to the epic monster. It's merely making that monster weaker (and easier to defeat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Even Stokke Halvorsen
msg tools
mb
Regarding placing health tokens on active mystery:

Does increasing the number of health tokens ABOVE the epic monsters total toughness solve the mystery,even with artifact requirement?

My reasoning would be that it is indeed solved, even if the monster requires an artifact to be dealt damage because its toughness is at or below zero = dead monster.

Ex:
The vanilla Eldritch rules state that the word "Cannot" is absolute. But when the Hydra Epic Monster token (Shub-nub AO or somthing..)reads "Cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Sword Of Yallaballa Artifact" that wouldn't stop the advancement of the mystery due to the fact that it isn't loosing health - but getting it's toughness lowered.

Do you guys agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilEven wrote:
The vanilla Eldritch rules state that the word "Cannot" is absolute. But when the Hydra Epic Monster token (Shub-nub AO or somthing..)reads "Cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Sword Of Yallaballa Artifact" that wouldn't stop the advancement of the mystery due to the fact that it isn't loosing health - but getting it's toughness lowered.

Do you guys agree?

However weird it may sound, I would assume that a monster with 0 toughness still must be defeated. You would need 0 damage, BUT you would still need the opportunity to deal that 0 damage, for example by rolling at least 0 successes in combat.
Or possibly a one success(/one damage) minimum, even if toughness is zero.
Anyway, you would still need the magical sword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.