Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Sorensen

PORTLAND
Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game, I'm really looking forward to playing it! Unfortunately, I am going to be out of town for about a month and I won't have much of a chance. In the meantime I am thinking about sending the minis away to be painted.

Does anyone have a recommendation about who can paint them? How much should I expect to pay for the full set? I've tried mini painting myself in the past, but I don't have the time these days and I'd still like the get the full experience from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I have been curious about this myself, but from the other perspective. I have been painting my minis and would be interested in painting other peoples on the side for some extra cash, but I don't know how much someone would pay for it. Obviously, there are different levels of paint jobs, but I tend to paint at a higher level (ie i don't just paint storm troopers white and give them a black wash)so it takes more time. I just don't know if it would be worth the time and effort.
Does anyone know what painting services normally charge?
would people be interested in paying on a squad by squad basis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric: It will take longer than a month, fair warning. Most reliable mini painters have a backlog of work and won't get to it immediately. The ones who can won't finish in a month (or three months for that matter) and you may not like the job they do.

Adam/Eric: in my experience, you're looking at about $2 a model for the small ones and up to $10 for the AT-ST. This is painting. The artist might expect you to take on more for basing and cleaning the model. All told, I can see a full set of IA painted for around $100 with a two-three color scheme and a wash for shading (tabletop quality). If you want highlights and more colors per model, expect the price to double.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a place that worked well for me but take longer than a month I suspectSri Lanka)

http://www.miniaturelovers.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
kelann08 wrote:
Eric: It will take longer than a month, fair warning. Most reliable mini painters have a backlog of work and won't get to it immediately. The ones who can won't finish in a month (or three months for that matter) and you may not like the job they do.

Adam/Eric: in my experience, you're looking at about $2 a model for the small ones and up to $10 for the AT-ST. This is painting. The artist might expect you to take on more for basing and cleaning the model. All told, I can see a full set of IA painted for around $100 with a two-three color scheme and a wash for shading (tabletop quality). If you want highlights and more colors per model, expect the price to double.

That is dirt cheap for having a mini painted and at that price, I'd expect a rushed or poor job done.

For a decent painter, I'd expect 5-10 per mini (maybe cut a deal on squads/groups that can be done assembly-line style.

Honestly some thing like $40-$50 for the 9 stormtroopers (maybe more as white is a pain to paint and is very time consuming). Probe droids are easier, so maybe $12-15 for those three. Officers probably around $15-$20. Say 5 for each of the rebels.

Honestly for the whole set, I'd probably expect around $175 to $200 (including shipping and packaging) and maybe 3 months of time (painting backlog) on the low end. To get better quality/priority painting you can expect to pay more.

If I was painting, I'd probably shoot for about $20 an hour (to help cover supply costs as well). So even my above estimate might be low. For some quality painting, I'd expect you'd have to pay several hundred dollars.

Looking at one of my favorite painters that also does commision work, you'd probably looks at about $20 per mini. Probably around 30 for the e-webs and nexu, and 40-50 for the AT-ST (includes basing on all models). But that's for top-notch quality painting.

So that gives you a range. Anywhere from probably $150 to $700 depending on the quality that you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nungunz wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

That is dirt cheap for having a mini painted and at that price, I'd expect a rushed or poor job done.

For a decent painter, I'd expect 5-10 per mini (maybe cut a deal on squads/groups that can be done assembly-line style.

Honestly some thing like $40-$50 for the 9 stormtroopers (maybe more as white is a pain to paint and is very time consuming). Probe droids are easier, so maybe $12-15 for those three. Officers probably around $15-$20. Say 5 for each of the rebels.

Honestly for the whole set, I'd probably expect around $175 to $200 (including shipping and packaging) and maybe 3 months of time (painting backlog) on the low end. To get better quality/priority painting you can expect to pay more.

If I was painting, I'd probably shoot for about $20 an hour (to help cover supply costs as well). So even my above estimate might be low.

That's not far off for having a decently painted set. If I were to do a full IA set I would start around 150/175 for a very basic paint job, were talking a few colors and some dry brush highlights with a wash. No basing material or any flashy extras.

If you wanted a really nice paint job you could expect to pay well over $200 for the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a miniatures painter, and in a week or so, I'll have my own imperial assault minis painted. I'll post pictures of my work and an asking price for painting the miniatures in the same style and degree of detail as those I will have painted for myself. Message me if you're interested in seeing what I come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
chbyer wrote:

That's not far off for having a decently painted set. If I were to do a full IA set I would start around 150/175 for a very basic paint job, were talking a few colors and some dry brush highlights with a wash. No basing material or any flashy extras.

If you wanted a really nice paint job you could expect to pay well over $200 for the set.

Yeah, I just was thinking of what I'd charge. I like painting my own minis to a high standard and would do the same for customers. I don't do "basic" painting. Honestly if I were to charge for a well painted set, it'd probably end up being in the $15 per mini range. $20 for the e-web and nexu. $30 for the AT-ST.

So from me, you'd get a full set for $450-$500 figuring in the assembly-line discounts. And would get full basing, sealant, and decals I may have available. Would include weathering, etc, etc.

But like I said, that's on the high end. Chbyer has an accurate estimate for basic quality painting prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sorensen

PORTLAND
Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed responses everyone. The cost (and lead time) are both more than I expected, but given the amount of time and effort painting takes I should have expected that. I think I'll still go forward with it.

I still welcome and appreciate any specific people and companies you guys would recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should poke around forums for Warhammer, Warmachine and other miniatures games (I know of dakkadakka, off the top of my head). There are plenty of references to professional painters in those places and reference galleries of their work and their established prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ravix wrote:
Thanks for the detailed responses everyone. The cost (and lead time) are both more than I expected, but given the amount of time and effort painting takes I should have expected that. I think I'll still go forward with it.

I still welcome and appreciate any specific people and companies you guys would recommend.

For companies, I'm not so sure.

Unfortunately the only two painters I can refer you to are probably oit of the price range you're looking for. They'd both be in the 800+ range.

Might want to check some mini or hobby forums and ask around. Finding someone local would work too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Sorry for the double post. But I agree with the above poster. Dakkadakka can find you some good pro painters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I have never used this company but here is another resource to see what pricing is available:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/paint-service/

Since they are more of a company, they might be higher than what individual people are listing. They have example pricing sheets for 40k and Warmachine but IA will fall under the "other" category that you would have to email them about. If nothing else, you can see how one company prices this service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
San Gabriel Valley Southern California
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
I have never used this company but here is another resource to see what pricing is available:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/paint-service/

Since they are more of a company, they might be higher than what individual people are listing. They have example pricing sheets for 40k and Warmachine but IA will fall under the "other" category that you would have to email them about. If nothing else, you can see how one company prices this service.

I looked up this painting service and they are pretty good. Better than Blue Table Painting which is going through really bad feedback. Can find more info on the web. Frontline Gaming do show examples of their finished worked in whichever level they have been commissioned for i.e Level 1, 2 or 3. Plus they are in the U.S, which is good for me since shipping would be cheaper. I live in Southern California and they live in Northern California. Their turn around rate is 4-6 weeks. They ask for half payment up from to start once they recieve the model and the rest when the commission is complete. I did ask for a quote for level 2 and level 3. It is pretty expensive, but I do not mind giving that amount of money for quality work they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,

At this rate I might have to jump in and start charging! And to think I'm doing my buddy's set for free! See if you like my pics and email if interested!

Ben "Superfan" Waxman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mkaup366 wrote:
I'm a miniatures painter, and in a week or so, I'll have my own imperial assault minis painted. I'll post pictures of my work and an asking price for painting the miniatures in the same style and degree of detail as those I will have painted for myself. Message me if you're interested in seeing what I come up with.

Suggestion! Post pics of your set and sell, trade, or even auction it. That way, the buyer doesn't have to wait for the set to be painted. You could probably get more in trading.

TMP: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=34

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently painting a set for myself and another board game geek. If you sent them soon I could paint your set at the same time and get it out fairly quickly.

You can see examples of my work here.
http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/969/painting-profit-and-pleasu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.