Subject: Strange sequence of phases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after reading the rules, the sequence of some phases seem strange to me:
1 First you build new armies (probably in areas where other armies allready are)
2 After that a possible conflict occurs
3 Finally, armies may move.

Wouldn't the sequence 1 - 3 -2 be more logical?
How does this affect gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games where it is impossible to get a feel for what is going on just by reading the rules -- At least it was for me.

There are a lot of subtle implications by the limitations on what you can do, and the movement of armies after conflict is one. The limitations on how you bring units in, and the restrictions on overflow are others. Sometimes it seems that alot of the mechanics are there to thwart what you want to do.

In answer to your question this sequence forces you to plan ahead more -- sometimes a few turns ahead -- on where you want to be. It also prevents someone from totally dominating an area -- if they wipe out your army in a province you may be able to slip in with an army from an adjacent province and maintain presence.

But like I said, you really need to play it to see the big picture. Reading the rules alone isn't enough for this beast.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VladNL wrote:
Hi, after reading the rules, the sequence of some phases seem strange to me:
1 First you build new armies (probably in areas where other armies allready are)
2 After that a possible conflict occurs
3 Finally, armies may move.

Wouldn't the sequence 1 - 3 -2 be more logical?
How does this affect gameplay?

If that's the only aspect which remains strange to you after you play the game, then you've done incredibly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm, no, that's not the only aspect, but it's been a while since I last played it. I'm planning to play it soon (that's why I'm skimming through the rulebook again. I think more issues will pop up while playing..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harrison
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presence of an Army in a command block facilitates further army builds in an area that may otherwise not have been possible i.e. no factional support. So moving after warfare creates interesting possibilities for expansion.

Most mechanics in the game look backwards; the infamous support sequence of 'place-conflict-overflow', the above mentioned army sequence 'build-warfare-move' and also the handling of support boxes. But when considered in the context of a two-turn strategy, make perfect sense.

The multi-turn mechanics make the turn order election more interesting too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.