Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Duell
Date: 10-Mar-2005
Players: Tanja, Fraser

It was approaching the end of the evening at the Gamers@Dockers session. We had just finished a four player game of Amun-Re in which Pharaoh Kevin had pipped me at the post by one point to be Amun-Re’s favourite greatly assisted by Pharaoh Tanja and Pharaoh Kim who all played -3 cards to considerably devalue my temples.

Kim went home and Kevin went back upstairs to make a few phone calls so Tanja and I got out Duell.

I had previously played this a few times at lunch and had generally gone quite well.

First up was a normal round and Tanja quickly forced me back to the starting line. I wanted to hit but just couldn’t get into position. 0 – 1

Next was three card hands. We approached rapidly, I hit Tanja, she parried, I was forced into moving back to a position where I could not parry and thus as fate would have it she hit. 0 – 2

Next up was open hands. After an initial approach my hand was still a little heavy in high numbered cards and I was forced into the first retreat. Every move I made Tanja would counter and position herself where I would lose any direct combats. Again I was forced back to the point where I had to attack and be defeated by Tanja’s parry or retreat of the playing field and concede. 0 – 3

Next was a normal round again. I quickly got into a position to launch a two card attack which Tanja promptly parried with three cards. 0 – 4

The last round was no-retreat. I attempted to close slowly and safely, but Tanja rushed me and I had no 1 to play! 0 – 5 a clean sweep to Tanja.

My pin cushioned honour had to be avenged, so we played again. The details are beginning to blur, but we played two open hands and a no-retreat where we forgot it was no-retreat until I forced Tanja off the back of the playing field. Whether or not it was the previous crushing defeat that had honed my senses or it was just better cards the result of the second game was 5 – 1 in my favour.

We were waiting for David C to be eliminated from a game of Bang! at another table as I was giving both Tanja and David lifts home. After some initial packing up and strongly encouraging the other players to gun David down – for his own good mind you, so he could get a lift home instead of a walk/tram/walk combination – we realised that the lack of cooperation from the other players meant that David was going to stay unplugged for quite a while yet so we got Duell out again for the decider.

This time neither of us could maintain the upper hand. It was a marathon effort with occasional breaks to see if David was dead yet. We played all the specials including no retreat twice. I was skewered in the three card hand with a deadly three card attack. In close combat I generally had more small cards and could press the victory. The result of our third games was 5 – 4 in my favour for a three game total of 10 – 10

A nice two player filler. Somewhat luck dependant in the card draw, but since there are between four and nine rounds per game this will usually even it out. Depending on the players I would estimate 5-15 minutes per game.

The one question outstand from Duell for me is why area the figures supplied with the game based on The Count from Sesame Street?

Fraser McHarg 04-Oct-2006
(the session was written up and lost for eighteen months).

Edited to fix typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. I like this game too, and it always comes out once a month. A nice filler.

I know what you mean about the Count. In my head he is often counting out the moves, which is rather annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun game. Have you tried the 'Sumo' version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
A fun game. Have you tried the 'Sumo' version?

I haven't even heard of the 'Sumo' version (although my mind's eye is conjuring up visions). Please do elaborate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.