Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Satkowiak
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in time for Christmas, the second part of Mario's saga is up, chronicling his journey from a city cop in New York to the former boomtown on the edge of the Maze, Gomorra, California.

Enjoy!!

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/12/24/ballad-mario-cran...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a no-prize for the pop-culture source of Mario's name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SovTech wrote:
Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow?

Nopers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good story, thank you!

There's Sloane and Jonah Essex, but who's the big dude with two Winchesters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sloane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balder1718 wrote:
Just in time for Christmas, the second part of Mario's saga is up, chronicling his journey from a city cop in New York to the former boomtown on the edge of the Maze, Gomorra, California.

Enjoy!!

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/12/24/ballad-mario-cran...

Wow, unexpected! Great story, good to hear the second part of what was my favourite from DTR so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
platypus
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Loved Mario Crane story! I'm glad to be able to read the following part!

It really is the fiction I was the most eager to read the following part (damn you story guys with your cliff hanging shenanigans...), i guess the fact that it was the only story called "..., PART ONE" didn't help..,

Anyway, always glad to read you.

Btw, i love to see the other dudes in that fiction: we obviously won't know everything about everyone in town, so having some background infos on people such as Mongwau is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Plot twist: Mongwau and Avie take Mario's dead body to Ivor who reanimates it as an Abomination, featured it tonight's preview!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
platypus51 wrote:
Btw, i love to see the other dudes in that fiction: we obviously won't know everything about everyone in town, so having some background infos on people such as Mongwau is great!

Agreed, this is the cool part of playing a story driven game like Doomtown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
platypus
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
platypus51 wrote:

Agreed, this is the cool part of playing a story driven game like Doomtown.

My main concern is that we won't have enough!

Actually thinking that we wouldn't know much about some dudes was really ennoying for me... I'm glad The story team thought about it by including more than one dude in given stories (it seems obvious now, but it didn't hit me before reading it...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mplain wrote:
Plot twist: Mongwau and Avie take Mario's dead body to Ivor who reanimates it as an Abomination, featured it tonight's preview!

I TOLDJA!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm... Weird Harrowed dude in the game then? If I'm reading it right, you can only choose him as a casualty, if he would be aced by the shootout when your hand is legal, thus not really using Harrowed at all much of the time. This means alone that he can "tank" close shootouts for you on his own (so good if you have a strong draw structure that can avoid cheating), as if he loses by 1 or 2 ranks, nothing happens anyway...

With other dudes in your posse, he can take bullets for them with his harrowed ability if you cheat, but will leave them high and dry if you have a legal hand... Quite an interesting subtlety to that trait actually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the story referenced Sloane is referred to as male.

In the cards Sloane is referred to as a female.

Which is it, or was Mario assuming the big person with the winchesters was male (and was thus incorrect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
or was Mario assuming the big person with the winchesters was male (and was thus incorrect).

My impression was that the robbers may have been using Sloane's name to make themselves seem more formidable, something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Which is it, or was Mario assuming the big person with the winchesters was male (and was thus incorrect).

I'm going with the the hypothesis that someone posited on the AEG forums: "Sloane" is like "Dread Pirate Roberts" or "James Bond"; that is, it's a title or code name that can be passed from one person to the next.

Supporting evidence: Jonah Essex's flavor text.

dboeren wrote:

My impression was that the robbers may have been using Sloane's name to make themselves seem more formidable, something like that?

Possible, but I sure couldn't help but think that the female outlaw in the story sure would be well-represented by a card with 4 Stud bullets and a trait that keeps her ready for action when getting into fights...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Holy shit it's Byron! Long time no see mate. How the hell have ya been? Glad to see you interested in the cool new stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I take it that the blonde woman with the deadly gaze was the real Sloane, while the big dude with two machineguns was someone else, but they called him Sloane possibly because at this stage of the story nobody knew who the real Sloane was, and so the bandits were messing up with people's heads. keeping the identity of their leader secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, if Sloane is a title, then the big guy might be the previous leader of the bandits. Who died or was deposed in between the time of the story and the current events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:

I take it that the blonde woman with the deadly gaze was the real Sloane, while the big dude with two machineguns was someone else, but they called him Sloane possibly because at this stage of the story nobody knew who the real Sloane was, and so the bandits were messing up with people's heads. keeping the identity of their leader secret.

I liked that possibility as a close second.

mplain wrote:
Also, if Sloane is a title, then the big guy might be the previous leader of the bandits. Who died or was deposed in between the time of the story and the current events.

That was my interpretation as well, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.