Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To place restrict the British military spam from winning the game, the simplest solution is to simply start the game with Louisbourg and Quebec fortified.

I have been thinking of another easy solution to the balance, and that is to tie British regulars to another resource, the number of settlements the British have on the map.

The object of this fix is to keep things simple. At the start, set aside 4 of the British regular cards out of play, leaving 2 in the empire cards deck. Place a marker on the siege track space 2 to chart the number of regulars in the empire card deck.

Basically, for every 3 British settlements on the map, a regular may be drafted. As soon as the British hit 9 settlements, move the marker one space along the track, and free another British regular, adding it to the available Empire card deck. Continue to add regulars in this way and adjust the track until all regulars have been added into play. Once the 6th regular is added into play, remove the marker from the track, as its function is now complete.

The regulars track may never be moved backwards.

Thoughts? I have thought about this for a while, and I think it is the easiest fix for the Halifax Hammer. It slows down the British, as they have to swell their deck and number of vulnerable settlements before they can thin it out and stuff it with regulars, which gives the French time to prepare and be proactive. This should expand the escalation feel the game is supposed to have. It should also make an inland strategy more appealing to the British, especially Fort Duquesne, and make the British Militia cards more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the second edition Louisberg has an addition defense strength. Not sure if this is the case with the original version but the Hammer strategy has never succeeded in our plays as raids are where the game is won or lost with the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if got this right. Do you mean that British has to have 18 settlements before they may have all regulars available? It sounds quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Starting with Louisbourg and/or Quebec fortified is an optional variant on yucata, so you can easily try that one out. It isn't really a game changer but it will slow down most hammer players.

I can see the appeal of tying in the British Regular Infantry to the number of locations controlled, but honestly, there are simpler fixes for the Hammer that are fairly popular, and, in my view, successful.

They are:
Change nothing! Are you actually playing British opponents who are using the HH so effectively it is impossible to beat them? I do acknowledge that the game is solved, or "broken", but in my experience very few players seem able to execute the HH with 100% accuracy. I know how it works, and sure, I can clobber an experienced player with it, but when I play it against someone good, I still get beaten. I think for the vast majority of people who will ever play this game, the HH should never be issue. For most of the people, most of the time, the solution for the French against the Hammer is simply to get better at playing French.

But if you are really finding the game hopelessly one-sided, and British is winning every single game using a Hammer strategy, I would suggest one of the following variants, both of which are implemented on yucata:

Try using the No Governor on Starting Locations rule. This makes it impossible for British to get that ultra think deck. They can still go for a pure military strategy, but it's not a sure thing, except maybe in the hands of an elite player, and even then I'm not so sure. This is my preferred variant.

If you want a variant that encourages, or even requires British to do someone westward settling, try the Settle Ft. Duquesne = instant win rule. It favors French, but in a very fun way, and I think British have a fighting chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls