Subject: advice on buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I pretty much am a deck building fanatic, I but all sets for almost all the deck builders out there, thunderstone is one I haven't played much, but own all the original sets, now im looking into getting the advance sets, and am unsure about this set, the way it sounds, is its just a set to learn with, but I already know how to play, if I buy sets, I want them to add cards and classes and all that to the game, open up more possibilities, and if there is nothing in here that isn't available in the other sets, I don't really wanna waste money on it, so is this just a learning set, or does it bring stuff to the game in its entirety ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Towers of Ruin instead. Buy this only if you are a completionist (or you are giving it to someone who has never played); it is a low-cost intro set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in this set are unique if I remember correctly, so you won't be getting doubles other than basic deck cards

For you I'd only recommend this set if you have everything that has been released with all the new Advanced base sets and expansions and this is the only thing you don't have and want more variety of cards

Also note I think Towers of Ruin is out of print at the moment, you're only other options would be Numenera (sci-fi theme) or go for Worlds Collide, but that will be a rehash of a lot of the older Thunderstone cards so you may not find great value with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worlds Collide + Into the Abyss is for me the pinnacle of Thunderstone. Sold off everything prior because nothing else compares IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Worlds Collide + Into the Abyss is for me the pinnacle of Thunderstone. Sold off everything prior because nothing else compares IMO.

Just what I thought! Getting both those in Jan

Looking forward to having both a play board and XP tokens, currently using just a d20 for XP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
alright thanks, I suppose ill get this last then probably, been looking at those new sets hardcore, they do seem to be the best, but I am a completionist and it is rare for me to skip on buying something if I already own other parts of it, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't just a learning set that just had all old things to just simplify how to play the new advance way and all that, I know those new ones are reprints, but I know they change the working and power of some cards and just bring them to the new layout and all that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, it's not a very good learning set... I wish they had simplified some of the cards, and made it a good introduction. Towers Of Ruin is far better way to teach people the game, from my experience. The cards in this set are generally interesting, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:

Care to elaborate? I have the ToR, CoB, and RoC. I'm interested in the newer stuff, but my box is full and I don't play the game a TON.

Without much research, I've toyed with the idea of "starting over", and I've appreciated your gaming opinions in the past...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben card
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i have 3 boxes
1.(ToR, CoB, RoC)
2 (WC, ItA) because these two sets have heroes that go to level 4 instead of 3 that my first box caps at
3.Neumeria by itself, due to the scifi theme.

those level 4 heroes are really powerful, and make the heroes from other sets seem way less strong. plus my ToR box is full

don't have starter set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.