Subject: Christmas Truce 1914 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One hundred years ago tonight the famous Christmas Truce occurred between German and English forces in their trenches in France. I always found it to be a bright moment in a war that had already claimed more than a million men and would see many more before it's conclusion. For those who may have never heard the story, here it is.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

And more

http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/christmas-truce-of...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christmas-tru...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p05E_ohaQGk

I hope we see more truces occurring in 2015.
Merry Christmas to all. And Peace to you and yours in the New Year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remembering The Christmas Truce Of 1914 In Two New Songs: "1914: The Carol Of Christmas" and "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)"

"1914: The Carol Of Christmas"
By the British Military Voices singing troupe
Benefitting the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Ooooo_____ .
Ooooo_____ .
Ooooo_____ .
Ooooo______.

It was Christ-mas night__ on a bat-tleground_ ;
Every wear-y man_ laid his ri-fle down_ ;
Through the burn-ing mist_
you could hear_ the sound_
of a ca-rol sung_ on a bat-tleground__ .

Oooooo____ . (Si-lent night__ , ho-ly night___)
Oooooo____ .

And Love__, one life_ , one sto-ry, one song__
came_ to the Earth____.

Can you hear_ the echo of a mil-lion souls___? (Oooooo____ .)

All_ the tears of a hundred years__? (Oooooo____ .)

For every tear_ that_ falls__ , a flow-er_ grows___ ,
and we_ will_ remem-__ ber them___ .

It was Christ-mas Day__ on a bat-tleground__ : (Oooooo____ .)
All the drums_ of war_ once again_ resound__ ; (Oooooo____ .)
Every si-lent song__ lying all_ around__ : (Oooooo____ .)
Where is Vic-tory__ on this bat-tleground____?

And Love__ , one life_ , one sto-ry, one song__
brings peace_ to the Earth___ .

All_ the tears of a hun-dred_ years___? (Oooooo____ .)

For every tear_ that_ falls___ , a flow-er_ grows__ ,

Kyrie elei-_son*__ , kyrie elei-_son___. (We_ will_ remem-__ber them___)
Kyrie elei-_son__ , (One life_, one sto-ry, one song__) (We will remem-__ber them___)
Kyrie elei-_son__ , kyrie elei-_son___ ;
We_ will_ remem-___ ber them______ .

*Kyrie eleison is the way the Greek expression "Κύριε ἐλέησον" is written phonetically in English and is used in Christian liturgy, meaning "Lord, have mercy."

Behind The Making of "The Carol Of Christmas"

A new version of the classic carol "Silent Night" entitled "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)" has been recorded respectively by multiplatinum-selling opera tenor Paul Potts and singer Faye Streek with a new verse and bridge chorus written by song writers Ben Cantelon and Nick Herbert.

The songwriters were commissioned by HOPE Together and Integrity Music to compose the new verses. The aim was to bring it alive again for a new generation of people and to play a part in this year’s commemoration of World War I and the 1914 Christmas Truce. Through the release of this charity single and the Silent Night Carols events in hundreds of stadiums, churches and cathedrals across the Britain, HOPE Together lined with the charity Tearfund to help bring hope to those affected by the war in Syria particularly among women and children and The Royal British Legion in their work around the world.

"Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)"
Sung by Faye Streek
Note: The new verse and bridge chorus are italicized.

Si-lent night__, ho-ly night__ :
All_ is calm_, all_ is bright_ ;
Round_ yon vir-gin mother and Child_ ,
Ho-ly Infant, so tender and mild_ ;
Sleep_ in Hea-venly peace__ ;
Sleep in Hea-venly peace__ .

Shep-herds quake_ at_ the sight_ ;
Glo-ries stream_ from Hea-ven above_ ;
Hea-venly hosts_ sing,_ "Al-leluia_ !"
Christ_ the Sa-vior is born___ ;
Christ__ the Sa-vior is born____ .

Christ the Savior_ ,
Christ the Savior is born____!
Peace_ and Hope_ have come_
through Jesus Christ, the Son____ .

Christ the Savior_ ,
Christ the Savior is born____ !
Peace_ and Hope_ have come__
through Jesus Christ, the Son___ .

God's_ great love_ gi-ving life_ ;
Let_ the world_ toge-ther rejoice_ ,
sing_ fore-_ver with_ one voice__ :
Hea-_ven's Hope_ is here____ !
Hea-ven's Hope_ is here___ !

Christ the Savior_ ,
Peace_ and Hope_ have come___

Christ the Savior_ ,

Si-lent night_, ho-ly night__ :
Son_ of God__ , Love’s_ pure light_ ;
Ra-diant beams_ from Thy_ holy face__
with_ the dawn_ of redeem-_ing grace_ ;
Je-_sus, Lord_ , at Thy birth____ ;
Je_-sus, Lord_ , at Thy_ birth____ .....

Sung by opera singer Paul Potts, winner of the first "Britain's Got Talent" competition (2007)

Songwriters Ben Cantelon & Nick Herbert share the story behind their composition of the new verse and bridge chorus for the new "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)" carol.

Karaoke Sing-Along Accompaniment Music for "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)"

"World War I: The Christmas Truce" Documentary
Produced by The History Channel

"Peace in No Man's Land: The Christmas Truce"
Produced by the BBC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You left out the important part.

It was the Football Christmas Truce.

I believe the Germans overwhelming won both the style portion as well as the score line.

I can't really blame the English though, who wants to go up for a header when you might get a pickelhaube in the eye.

That and the English have never mastered the damn game they invented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much as a footnote in US history books.

I first learned about it when I was 13, courtesy of Sir Paul McCartney:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
You left out the important part.

It was the Football Christmas Truce.

[America] You mean soccer Christmas True. [/America]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Christmas Truces of 1943 & 1944

"1914: The Carol Of Christmas"
By the British Military Voices singing troupe
Benefitting the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Ooooo_____ .
Ooooo_____ .
Ooooo_____ .
Ooooo______.

It was Christ-mas night__ on a bat-tleground_ ;
Every wear-y man_ laid his ri-fle down_ ;
Through the burn-ing mist_
you could hear_ the sound_
of a ca-rol sung_ on a bat-tleground__ .

Oooooo____ . (Si-lent night__ , ho-ly night___)
Oooooo____ .

And Love__, one life_ , one sto-ry, one song__
came_ to the Earth____.

All_ the tears of a hundred years__? (Oooooo____ .)

For every tear_ that_ falls__ , a flow-er_ grows___ ,

It was Christ-mas Day__ on a bat-tleground__ : (Oooooo____ .)
All the drums_ of war_ once again_ resound__ ; (Oooooo____ .)
Every si-lent song__ lying all_ around__ : (Oooooo____ .)
Where is Vic-tory__ on this bat-tleground____?

And Love__ , one life_ , one sto-ry, one song__
brings peace_ to the Earth___ .

All_ the tears of a hun-dred_ years___? (Oooooo____ .)

For every tear_ that_ falls___ , a flow-er_ grows__ ,

Kyrie elei-_son*__ , kyrie elei-_son___. (We_ will_ remem-__ber them___)
Kyrie elei-_son__ , (One life_, one sto-ry, one song__) (We will remem-__ber them___)
Kyrie elei-_son__ , kyrie elei-_son___ ;
We_ will_ remem-___ ber them______ .

*Kyrie eleison is the way the Greek expression "Κύριε ἐλέησον" is written phonetically in English and is used in Christian liturgy, meaning "Lord, have mercy."

Behind The Making of "The Carol Of Christmas"

A new version of the classic carol "Silent Night" entitled "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)" has been recorded respectively by multiplatinum-selling opera tenor Paul Potts and singer Faye Streek with a new verse and bridge chorus written by song writers Ben Cantelon and Nick Herbert.

The songwriters were commissioned by HOPE Together and Integrity Music to compose the new verses. The aim was to bring it alive again for a new generation of people and to play a part in this year’s commemoration of World War I and the 1914 Christmas Truce. Through the release of this charity single and the Silent Night Carols events in hundreds of stadiums, churches and cathedrals across the Britain,HOPE Together linked with the charity Tearfund to help bring hope to those affected by the war in Syria particularly among women and children and The Royal British Legion in their work around the world.

Sung by Faye Streek
Note: The new verse and bridge chorus are italicized.

All_ is calm_, all_ is bright_ ;
Round_ yon vir-gin mother and Child_ ,
Ho-ly Infant, so tender and mild_ ;
Sleep_ in Hea-venly peace__ ;
Sleep in Hea-venly peace__ .

Shep-herds quake_ at_ the sight_ ;
Glo-ries stream_ from Hea-ven above_ ;
Hea-venly hosts_ sing,_ "Al-leluia_ !"
Christ_ the Sa-vior is born___ ;
Christ__ the Sa-vior is born____ .

Christ the Savior_ ,
Christ the Savior is born____!
Peace_ and Hope_ have come_

Christ the Savior_ ,
Peace_ and Hope_ have come__
through Jesus Christ, the Son___ .

God's_ great love_ gi-ving life_ ;
Let_ the world_ toge-ther rejoice_ ,
sing_ fore-_ver with_ one voice__ :
Hea-_ven's Hope_ is here____ !
Hea-ven's Hope_ is here___ !

Christ the Savior_ ,

Christ the Savior_ ,

Si-lent night_, ho-ly night__ :
Son_ of God__ , Love’s_ pure light_ ;
Ra-diant beams_ from Thy_ holy face__
with_ the dawn_ of redeem-_ing grace_ ;
Je-_sus, Lord_ , at Thy birth____ ;
Je_-sus, Lord_ , at Thy_ birth____ .....

Sung by opera singer Paul Potts, winner of the first "Britain's Got Talent" competition (2007)

Songwriters Ben Cantelon & Nick Herbert share the story behind their composition of the new verse and bridge chorus for the new "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)" carol.

Karaoke Sing-Along Accompaniment Music for "Silent Night (Christ The Savior Is Born)"

"Silent Night, Holy Night: The 1914 Christmas Truce"
Narrated by former CBS newsman & anchor Walter Cronkite and sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

" The Christmas Truce"

"Peace in No Man's Land: The Christmas Truce"
Produced by the BBC

Regardless of whether the original Christmas Truce of 1914 became widely known or not, it nonetheless set a precedent that would be revisited decades later on much, much smaller scales high over the skies of Germany and at ground level in the Ardeinnes Forest of France.

Four days before Christmas 1943 in the darkest hours of World War II, a miracle took place when an American bomber pilot and a German fighter ace met in combat over Germany and did the unexpected.

A year later on Christmas Eve 1944 in the Ardennes Forest in France while the Battle of the Bulge raged on around them, a German mother, Elisabeth Vincken, and her son Fritz would have some very unusual Christmas visitors. Although Fritz first told his story to Reader's Digest in 1973, it became much more widely known after the "Unsolved Mysteries" TV series featured it in the early 1990s.

As a prologue to that segment, I present an excerpt from an account written by the grown-up Fritz Vincken....

"Truce In the Forest"
by Fritz Vincken

It was Christmas Eve, and the last, desperate German offensive of World War II raged around our tiny cabin.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door... .

When we heard the knock on our door that Christmas Eve of 1944, neither Mother nor I had the slightest inkling of the quiet miracle that lay in store for us.

I was 12 then, and we were living in a small cottage in the Hürtgen Forest, near the German-Belgian border. Father had stayed at the cottage on hunting weekends before the war; when Allied bombers partly destroyed our hometown of Aachen, he sent us to live there. He had been ordered into the civil-defense fire guard in the border town of Monschau, four miles away.

"You'll be safe in the woods," he had told me. "Take care of Mother. Now, you're the man of the family."

But, nine days before Christmas, Field Marshal von Rundstedt had launched the last, desperate German offensive of the war, and now, as I went to the door, the Battle of the Bulge was raging all around us. We heard the incessant booming of field guns; planes soared continuously overhead; at night, searchlights stabbed through the darkness. Thousands of Allied and German soldiers were fighting and dying nearby.

When that first knock at our cabin door came on Christmas Eve, Mother quickly blew out the candles; then, as I went to answer it, she stepped ahead of me and pushed open the door. Outside, like phantoms against the snow-clad trees, stood two steel-helmeted men.....

Fritz Vincken's story was later made into the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, "Silent Night" starring Linda Hamilton.

Fritz Vincken tried to find all seven of the American soldiers after the war. However, it wasn't until several years later after his story was repeated on a March 1995 rerun of "Unsolved Mysteries" that Vincken learned about a man at Northampton Manor Nursing Home in Frederick, Maryland who had been telling family and friends that same story for years.

In January 1996, Vincken went to Maryland to meet Ralph Blank, who had served with the 121st Infantry, 8th Division, during World War II. "When he told me, 'Your mother saved my life,' it was the high point of the life," Vincken said of the reunion. "Now, I can die in peace. My mother's courage won't be forgotten and it shows what Goodwill will do."

Throughout her life, Fritz's mother, Elisabeth Vincken, had often said, "God was at our table" when she talked about that fateful Christmas Eve of 1944 in the Ardennes Forest.

Although he did eventually locate one other surviving American soldier, Fritz Vincken died in December 8, 2002 at age 69 in Oregon, 16 days before the 57th anniversary of his well-publicized Christmas story of "The Night God Came To Dinner" featured in the anthology book, "Chicken Soup from the Soul of Hawai'i", which can be read at: http://divinemercyhawaii.org/testimonials-the-night-god-came...

(The inclusion of Fritz Vincken's story in "Chicken Soup from the Soul of Hawai'i" was all the more appropriate since it was indeed chicken soup that his mother had served him and the American & German soldiers on Christmas Eve 1944. Moreover, Vincken's mother had in essence also served up chicken soup for their souls that night in insisting upon the soldiers to cease hostilities and engaging them to yield to their better angels in observance of that holy night.)

Vincken, who was born in Aachem, Germany, was survived by his wife, Erna, a daughter, and two grandchildren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If soldiers had been allowed to decide maybe the war would not have lasted 4 bloody years.

Throughout the war (if I recall it correctly) specially trained units (well in truth chosen ones, men who liked to kill) were sent into quite sectors to stir things up stop ensure no repeat of Christmas 1914.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The sad thing is that in the later years of the soldiers and nations were too hardened for this to happen again. War sucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

This following is a movie about the 1914 Christmas truce. I haven't seen it but it's on my "watch list." (In French mostly, I believe)

Joyeux Noel (2005) (Merry Christmas, English title)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

slatersteven wrote:
If soldiers had been allowed to decide maybe the war would not have lasted 4 bloody years.

Throughout the war (if I recall it correctly) specially trained units (well in truth chosen ones, men who liked to kill) were sent into quite sectors to stir things up stop ensure no repeat of Christmas 1914.

Nonetheless, there were isolated pockets of Chirstmas Truces in subsequent years along the Western Front despite the fact that the Allied Forces had threatened direr and even more severe punishment for such acts of defiance.

With each passing year, however, there would undoubtedly have been fewer and fewer of such isolated instances of Christmas Truces because as the war wore on, the troops became more jaded and more determined to get it over with.

And remember: The one factor that the original Christmas Truce of 1914 had going for it was timing: World War I had only been underway for five months. If the war had been underway longer than that, who knows, that first Christmas Truce might not ever have happened at all or to the degree it did happen on that Christmas Eve of 1914.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

tesuji wrote:
The sad thing is that in the later years of the soldiers and nations were too hardened for this to happen again. War sucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

This following is a movie about the 1914 Christmas truce. I haven't seen it but it's on my "watch list." (In French mostly, I believe)

Joyeux Noel (2005) (Merry Christmas, English title)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I have both seen this movie, own it, and highly recommend it. It makes a great addition to one's own collection of Christmas movies or war movies for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sainsbury Chocolate of Britain Pays Tribute To The Christmas Truce Of 1914

Advertisement In Tribute To The Christmas Truce Of 1914 by Sainsbury Chocolate of Britain

The Story Behind Sainbury's Christmas Advertisement

The Making of Sainsbury's Christmas Commercial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
United European Football (Soccer) Association Pays Tribute To Christmas Truce Of 1914

> Excerpts from the December 11, 2014 press release by the United European Football Association (UEFA):

UEFA Marks 1914 Christmas Truce Centennial

UEFA President Michel Platini has joined public officials and UEFA member association presidents in Belgium to mark the 100th anniversary of the 1914 Christmas truce.

UEFA President Michel Platini joined public officials and UEFA member association presidents in Comines-Warneton, Belgium, today to mark the 100th anniversary of the World War I Christmas Truce. The special part played by football in the truce on Christmas Day in 1914 was honored by a sculpture commissioned by UEFA and unveiled at the commemoration.

One hundred years ago, on a cold December Christmas Eve, soldiers on both sides of the battle lines lowered their arms, started singing Christmas carols, and played football.

UEFA President Michel Platini said: “We are gathered here as one to mark that moment of brotherhood and friendship which reassures us of our shared humanity. I find it particularly moving to imagine those young men 100 years ago finding a common language in football to express their shared brotherhood. Today football (i.e. soccer) is a universal language which opens our hearts, which enables contact between cultures and brings people together across all borders and frontiers. All those years ago, football provided a vital bridge for the spontaneous expression of humanity. So it was perfectly normal for European football to pay a glowing tribute to them now, to all those who decided on that evening to think about something positive and play the game they loved.”

To coincide with the event, UEFA published a four-minute film featuring European football icons, bringing to life the extraordinary events of 100 years ago in Flanders.

The four-minute short film produced by UEFA features big European football names, including UEFA President Michel Platini, England and Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton, French national team coach Didier Deschamps, and former Germany and FC Bayern München player Paul Breitner.

The current players appearing in the film are England and Manchester United FC captain Wayne Rooney, French national team captain and Tottenham Hotspur FC goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, German national team captain and FC Bayern München player Bastian Schweinsteiger and FC Bayern München player and former German international Philipp Lahm.

London-based creative agency Designwerk and sculpture specialists MDM were commissioned by UEFA to produce a special memorial to celebrate the remarkable events 100 years ago between Ypres and Lille in Belgium. The look and feel of the sculpture reflects the surroundings of the event and it is made from rusted steel, sitting on a stone platform, marking a moment of hope and inspiration while observing reproductions of German and British trenches. There are two black cracks running to the ground from the monument to each trench, connecting past and present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Silent Night, Holy Night: The 1914 Christmas Truce" narrated by Walter Cronkite & sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

"Silent Night, Holy Night: The 1914 Christmas Truce"
Narrated by former CBS newsman & anchor Walter Cronkite and sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.