Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only dungeon-crawl game I've played is The Classic Dungeon, and the genre has improved since that game was released.

What's a good dungeon crawl for a group that is new to the genre? I was looking at Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), and it looks good, but is there a better introductory game?

And if you could give me some of the characteristics of dungeon crawls (like how long they usually take, what sort of components you'll usually see, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is coming from a person who would far rather play a boardgame than an RPG, but to be honest, for a good ole crawl, nothing beats just grabbing a simple RPG such as Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set and running a low level party through a basic dungeon. If everyone enjoys it, you can take it from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
The only dungeon-crawl game I've played is The Classic Dungeon, and the genre has improved since that game was released.

What's a good dungeon crawl for a group that is new to the genre? I was looking at Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), and it looks good, but is there a better introductory game?

And if you could give me some of the characteristics of dungeon crawls (like how long they usually take, what sort of components you'll usually see, etc.)

I've recently acquired a copy of Assault on Doomrock and it is amazing! Honestly, I used to play D&D growing up and while this game isn't really a dungeon crawler in the traditional sense, it gives that feeling.

It is a card based game that consists of three rounds with two phases each. In the first phase you can explore whatever cards(locations) are face up in front of you and in the second you face some monsters in what is a very unique combat system.

I've only played the solo player game so far as I like to know everything thoroughly before I explain it to my wife, so I cannot comment on the complete experience, but it is amazing. Granted, I've not played Descent, but this game is humorous(healing potions of doom, LOL), it really feels like you are adventuring and I love the three rounds because it really feels like you are leveling up and preparing your character for the combat that is to come later.

As I said, it isn't your standard dungeon crawler, but it has accomplished in a very smooth, elegant euro style something that I've never experienced while playing any other game. You could get a game like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, and while it does feel kinda like a dungeon crawler, it doesn't have the same adventuring and exploration that Doomrock has. As you can tell, my "Dungeon Crawling" experience is mainly limited to card games, but Doomrock is truly amazing experience that gives the feeling of dungeon crawling(to me at least).

The only problem is that copies can be a bit hard to find. I got lucky, I checked the BGG market place every day and a copy popped up there about a week ago for me for $45 brand new in shrink. I know that somewhere people were doing a group order to get the game over in the US, but I would highly recommend taking a look at this game and see what you think.

Here is a link to the runthrough that got me excited about this game.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Bad Thoughts wrote:
Star Wars: Imperial Assault

The Star Wars theme doesn't really appeal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good, because it is nothing like Descent.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Ditch the fantasy theme and play some Level 7 Omega Protocol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The best pure co-op dungeon crawl is, wait for it, Gears of War: The Board Game. Yes, the theme is a con but the rest of the game is so, so good! This guy nails it: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/32627/gears-war-board-game/c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Peddle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would second L7. But I thing one of the DnD boardgames might be best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
California
flag msg tools
I find Mice and Mystics is a good place to start. It's not that hard to play, has a story campaign, and it looks great on the table with the miniatures and detailed boards/pieces.

Also, if you like it it has a couple expansions, one that recently released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.