Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've never traded with anyone on here before, and I want to, because I have quite a few games I'd like to get rid of, but in general, I get very aprehensive about trading/selling online until I fully understand it (on this site and others).

So I was wondering if someone could explain how trading works on here (in detail). I sort of understand how math trades work, but I'm mainly wondering about regular, non-math trades.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was recently posted:

The New User's Guide To Trading!

Number one tip is to directly private message someone with your proposal ideas (rather than entering an formal proposal in the system) and fully expect that a huge percentage of users won't even reply. Don't take this personally at all. It's just a numbers game.

If you want a decent chance of getting a trade, don't hesitate to send out 20-30+ feelers at a time. The more flexible you are the better as well. If I send out a proposal for x vs y game I always invite the recipient to check out my trade list and let me know if they see anything else they think would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

Number one tip is to directly private message someone with your proposal ideas (rather than entering an formal proposal in the system) and fully expect that a huge percentage of users won't even reply. Don't take this personally at all. It's just a numbers game.

If you want a decent chance of getting a trade, don't hesitate to send out 20-30+ feelers at a time. The more flexible you are the better as well. If I send out a proposal for x vs y game I always invite the recipient to check out my trade list and let me know if they see anything else they think would work.

That was really helpful.

My main concern is shipping: Who I should ship with (UPS, USPS, etc.), how and if to include tracking, and how much it will cost to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

That was really helpful.

My main concern is shipping: Who I should ship with (UPS, USPS, etc.), how and if to include tracking, and how much it will cost to ship.

Most folks use USPS but some folks will use UPS and FedEx (especially if they have an account and can get cheaper rates)
You can always tell the person you are planning on a trade that you will ships USPS unless they rather have it shipped another way. Most folks are fine with USPS but it can't hurt to let them

www.usps.com has a shipping calculator. All you need is the weight of your package and their zip code. Very large packages will need dimensions because of the dimensional surcharge but unlikely that would be an issue unless you are talking a dozen or so large games.

Depending on location and weight, sometimes non-flat rate is cheaper; other times flat rate is cheaper.
If you print online postage, then regional rate boxes may be the cheapest (if you are shipping somewhere near you)

All of the possibilities will be shown on usps's website though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To estimate and compare shipping costs I use this, http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf

and this, http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, put your location on your profile. No one wants to ship to another country.
Second, you only show 2 games for trade. Mark any you would trade.
Check for local, no -ship trades first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
First, put your location on your profile. No one wants to ship to another country.

Where do I check for local?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Sam Houston wrote:

Where do I check for local?

You can do a custom trade search from the Bazaar > Trades tab above and filter for only results in your state. Then you can hover on the flags of each user or click their profiles to see if they included the city they're in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.